Am I being fleeced for aftercare treatment products?

Hello, I've attached 2 images of products I'm being offered and their prices for aftercare treatment. The total quote for all of the products is €1200! Are they trying to take advantage? What is actually recommended for after care treatment? 

In one image it lists either their price or the price of the product bought directly from the company and then their price. To the right is the required amount. 

20190904_145605.jpg

20190904_145845.jpg

It is common for clinics to have and offer their own product line.  It's yet another way of making a bit more money. Typically they'll give you a package deal when "selling" the procedure. The fact, however, you don't need any of it to add to the success of the transplants.

Medical therapy, (Propecia, Rogaine, Laser and PRP) are the only modalities we entertain when discussing hair retention.  These do work in different ways and are thus synergistic when used simultaneously.  I do see some of these listed.  Check around for pricing and you can make a decision where to purchase. 

I would suggest an alcohol free shampoo, (baby shampoo). Alcohol dries the scalp and that's when flaking begins.  

Thank you to you both. When I saw €1200 and I said my cards are at the hotel room and she said "it's okay, our driver can take payment" and then said "it will be difficult to open the file tomorrow", that I wasn't purchasing anything until I'd done more research. 

Will most pharmacies in Istanbul have those two items, Proscar (Procepia) and Minoxidil (Regain/Rogain) and be able to serve freely over the counter? 

LaserCap, I saw the PRP but really don't fancy injecting myself, yesterday's procedure was enough for a while! Maybe I'll feel differently in a week or 2 if the application of it is really worth it. 

Thank you for the baby shampoo advice too, that'll save paying lots of ££££'s because something comes in a shiny box and says it's for hair transplant recovery. 

Edited by Nnnnnnn

• Administrators

You can buy everything on your own. There’s no need to buy minoxidil or proscar from any hair transplant clinic. Also, some of the items made my list of top 3 hair loss products to avoid.

If I were you I would decline everything and buy it separately. A year supply of minoxidil is less than a few dollars a month. You can get generic finasteride for cheap at costco or through keeps, forhims etc. 

https://www.hairlosslearningcenter.org/topic/top-3-hair-loss-products-to-avoid-in-2019/3385

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Hair transplants are already quite expensive without adding all of this stuff. We give patients (do not charge extra) that includes a saline spray, head and shoulders shampoo, and a surgical sponge for sponge washing the first week post-op. As mentioned generic finasteride is dirt cheap, and minoxidil is relatively inexpensive as well. Clinics that charge extra for additional products are taking advantage of patients in a vulnerable position to add to the bottom line without any evidence that it improves the results of the procedure.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Michael Vories, MD said:

Hair transplants are already quite expensive without adding all of this stuff. We give patients (do not charge extra) that includes a saline spray, head and shoulders shampoo, and a surgical sponge for sponge washing the first week post-op. As mentioned generic finasteride is dirt cheap, and minoxidil is relatively inexpensive as well. Clinics that charge extra for additional products are taking advantage of patients in a vulnerable position to add to the bottom line without any evidence that it improves the results of the procedure.

Isn’t head and shoulders a bit harsh to be using for postop care? I’ve read many clinics recommend staying away from Medicated shampoos for at least one month post op. Is there any reason to use a medicated shampoo?

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Michael Vories, MD said:

Great post Dr. Vories 🙌

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

11 hours ago, LaserCap said:

Best time to do PRP is at the time of the procedure.  It can help bring in the results sooner and also help with reversing the miniaturization of the native hair.

Yes, they injected this straight after the procedure was done in fact. 

Thank you everyone for your replies. I was certainly vulnerable and really did not have any information on what was really required - which they tried to take full advantage of. 

I'm glad you trusted your gut and walked out of there without spending all that extra money. As the others mentioned, you're much better off finding these things individually on your own. Not only will you most likely get a better price that way, but you'll be able to really decide what is and isn't worth purchasing. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56