Gym after hair transplant

Every clinic has different requirements. I recommend speaking with your clinic and following their instructions as closely as possible. For what it is worth, we allow patients to return to full activity (both FUT and FUE) 10-14 days post-op without restriction. Always seems to go well. 

• Like 1

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

There is a huge difference between doing routine cardiovascular exercises and lifting weights.

With FUHT, any activity that potentially puts tension or strain on the sutures is a huge no-no.

You do not want to have the strip scar stretch...:o

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

You can typically return to normal 10-14 days depending......

If FUT, avoid weightlifting, particularly anything pulling on the neck.  This can lead to scar stretching. Do push-ups instead.  

If FUE, you can return to normalcy 10-14 days.  Check with the clinic.  (Did they give you typed up post op instructions)?

Cardiovascular - typically you can walk after the third day.  Running...7 - 10 days post op.  Some will tell you a full 14 days just to be overly cautious.  

They give me instructions and the doctor said 1 month which I find it a extra cautious but it’s because of blood circulation in the follicles

he said if u go to the gym and start lifting and train arms lets say the blood going to go to veins in your arms is just normal amd we don’t want that we want it on your scalp fro the first month that’s why he gave me a blood thinner as well which helps for blood circulation in the scalp to take for a month so I’m not sure what to do

1 hour ago, LaserCap said:

You can typically return to normal 10-14 days depending......

If FUT, avoid weightlifting, particularly anything pulling on the neck.  This can lead to scar stretching. Do push-ups instead.  

If FUE, you can return to normalcy 10-14 days.  Check with the clinic.  (Did they give you typed up post op instructions)?

Cardiovascular - typically you can walk after the third day.  Running...7 - 10 days post op.  Some will tell you a full 14 days just to be overly cautious.  

4 minutes ago, Uncle drew said:

They give me instructions and the doctor said 1 month which I find it a extra cautious but it’s because of blood circulation in the follicles

he said if u go to the gym and start lifting and train arms lets say the blood going to go to veins in your arms is just normal amd we don’t want that we want it on your scalp fro the first month that’s why he gave me a blood thinner as well which helps for blood circulation in the scalp to take for a month so I’m not sure what to do

What?  I would ask again.  Something does not seem right.

Blood circulation to follicles?  The scalp is quite vascular.  What are you referring to?  Weight lifting? Running?  What?

What blood thinner did he give you? For a month? To help circulation - specifically to the scalp?  

DOCTORS!!!!! We need help here.....

He meant weight lifting about biking or running he said 2 weeks...he said to me aspirin 

3 minutes ago, LaserCap said:

Blood circulation to follicles?  The scalp is quite vascular.  What are you referring to?  Weight lifting? Running?  What?

What blood thinner did he give you? For a month? To help circulation - specifically to the scalp?  

Drew, 

So, if I am understanding correctly, the doctor is afraid that weight training will shunt blood to the muscles being strained and, therefore, steal blood from the scalp and negatively impact the follicles? To combat this, he/she provided a blood thinner? Somewhat novel theory. I have not heard of this before. 

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

2 minutes ago, Dr Blake Bloxham said:

Drew, 

So, if I am understanding correctly, the doctor is afraid that weight training will shunt blood to the muscles being strained and, therefore, steal blood from the scalp and negatively impact the follicles? To combat this, he/she provided a blood thinner? Somewhat novel theory. I have not heard of this before. 

Thnx DR for replying to that it could make sense though if u think about it and also his work is outstanding so I trust him a lot 

On 8/28/2019 at 7:25 AM, Uncle drew said:

Thnx DR for replying to that it could make sense though if u think about it and also his work is outstanding so I trust him a lot 

never heard of such a thing as blood being robbed from the scalp because of resistance training. with that being said, I'd follow his post op instructions as you already trusted him enough to get surgery from him. I'm sure staying out of the gym for 1 month vs 2 weeks wont make a big impact on your long term goals.

15 hours ago, Dr. Bruno Ferreira said:

I recommend patients wait about 8 days for light running and a light workout. After 15 days they can do more vigorous exercises/running.

For contact sports I recommend 21 days to a month and for sports that require a helmet or water, 30 days.

What is your recommendation for weight lifting?

On 8/26/2019 at 5:25 PM, Uncle drew said:

Hey guys big ups to all of you for this great forum!

i wanted to ask after hair transplant how long till u can go back to gym? I’m sitting here 6 days after mine and I wanna go back to working out smh

It all depends on the doctor.  Some want to be ultra-conservative and will allow for a few more days.  Generally, you can start walking within 3 days.  Easy cardio after 7 days. No restrictions after 14 days.

When it comes to weight lifting, particularly if you did FUT, is to avoid anything that will pull on your neck. This has a tendency to widen scars. Instead do push ups, leg presses, etc.

36 minutes ago, LaserCap said:

It all depends on the doctor.  Some want to be ultra-conservative and will allow for a few more days.  Generally, you can start walking within 3 days.  Easy cardio after 7 days. No restrictions after 14 days.

When it comes to weight lifting, particularly if you did FUT, is to avoid anything that will pull on your neck. This has a tendency to widen scars. Instead do push ups, leg presses, etc.

Thnk you laser cap I’m 16 days post op and I’m back on my routine feeling good already 

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 8:43 PM, LaserCap said:

I have never heard of any doctor prescribing a blood thinner to improve blood flow to the transplanted follicles.

• Like 1

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

3 hours ago, gillenator said:

I have never heard of any doctor prescribing a blood thinner to improve blood flow to the transplanted follicles.

Maybe all the doctors start following it cuz it might be the main reason of his success haha

16 hours ago, LaserCap said:

FUE, FUT make a difference?

Yes, I believe so very much. You can't stress the suture like you can after an FUE extraction, or you'll risk dehiscence.

Abstaining from vigorous activities after FUE is a precautionary measure. After FUT it's mandatory.

I'm not an FUT expert though, so I'll leave those post-op recovery times for someone who is.

IMHO there is a huge difference between FUE and FUHT regarding post-op activity in the gym.

Gillenator

That's true and as long as the grafts are well seated and secure, the risk is very low.

Gillenator