Coming Clean About Having A Hair Transplant

• Administrators

For those of you who've had a hair transplant, when did you decide to come clean about having the procedure? Me personally, I was very secretive about the whole thing for a few years. I remember I didn't want anyone to find out and I was very embarrassed about the whole thing.

But then I figured you know what. How come society doesn't shame women for having breast augmentation or rhinoplasty. Hair transplants don't change anything, it's simply about keeping what you were born with. If more men were honest about their procedures, the social stigma and shame would go away. In fact, the no-brainer solution, if you have money would be to have a hair transplant. I'd love the communities thoughts on this.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

If I could have kept it a secret I probably would but it not very easy to hide! It did give me some nerves and anxiety but once I just came out with it I realised nobody really cares. There seems to be a lot less stigma with it these days partly due to social media personalities and some celebrity’s openly getting them.

Could have easily not said anything about mine and nobody would have guessed - despite my ultra red head. In the end, I was too curious and asked colleagues if they noticed a difference, and then had to tell them what was up. All reactions have been super positive, even from my rugby team where I had expected to be totally rinsed for doing this. Its a great conversation topic.

Haven't told any friends or family, back home in September for a wedding so excited to see who notices then.

3 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

For those of you who've had a hair transplant, when did you decide to come clean about having the procedure? Me personally, I was very secretive about the whole thing for a few years. I remember I didn't want anyone to find out and I was very embarrassed about the whole thing.

But then I figured you know what. How come society doesn't shame women for having breast augmentation or rhinoplasty. Hair transplants don't change anything, it's simply about keeping what you were born with. If more men were honest about their procedures, the social stigma and shame would go away. In fact, the no-brainer solution, if you have money would be to have a hair transplant. I'd love the communities thoughts on this.

It's better to remain quite until you get your full results.. In case your hair transplant backfires,you'll be made a butt of jokes

I told everyone before I had it done.  Had some people try to talk me out of it.  Did it anyway.  I'm a bit of an open book and I didn't want the awkwardness of people trying to not to mention it, etc.  Plus there is no way you are going to hide if you can't wear a hat to work. The first three months suck hard.  Scabs, redness, etc.  People like asking questions, etc.  I have really thick skin and am self-deprecating so even if people give me shit I laugh with them and crack jokes about myself.   Just yesterday my friend's wife came over to pick up her husband from a party I had the night before.  We were sitting and she asked about my thinness more towards the crown bc my hair was a mess.   Didn't bother me one bit.  I'm not going to deny I have thin or fine hair.  Once I comb it it is all concealed without fibers etc.  I'm 44, I don't expect to have the density of a 20 year old.   

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Yake said:

It's better to remain quite until you get your full results.. In case your hair transplant backfires,you'll be made a butt of jokes

sort of agree with this. other wise it’s “you spent all that money for THAT?!?!” (if you have not so great results. granted I haven’t had a transplant yet

• Administrators
35 minutes ago, Yake said:

Well, this is why researching is important, and making sure the surgeon you choose is competent. Unless you have a completely botched hair transplant with doll like hair plugs, no one is going to even remember. The most someone would say is "hey how come nothing grew?" at which point you could say "guess the procedure didn't take" it ends there. Unless you work with middle school children.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

6 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Well, this is why researching is important, and making sure the surgeon you choose is competent. Unless you have a completely botched hair transplant with doll like hair plugs, no one is going to even remember. The most someone would say is "hey how come nothing grew?" at which point you could say "guess the procedure didn't take" it ends there. Unless you work with middle school children.

I agree man but even in the safest hands a hair transplant can fail .there is always an element of risk