Jump to content
JerryJerry

Second hair transplant failes again: after 7 months of decent growth: expert advice needed

Recommended Posts

Dear all,

i desperately need some help, hopefully a respected surgeon can help me in this matter, or someone who experienced what i do now. . My first hair transplant i had 2,5 years ago, 2200 grafts on the frontal area: that one failed because my transplants where falling out after 7 , 8 months ago untill the point my hair situation was almost worse then before the hair restoration. I blamed it on the surgeon at that time. He was ignorant of possible causes. I figured it was poorly done / bad luck and had another surgery like 9 months ago, some 1000 grafts to restore the frontal area. With another surgeon. Much to my distress i ve noticed my transplanted hair is thinning again! The rest of my head is ok, maybe a bit of shedding because its summer but nothing disturbing. After some decent growth for about 7 months its rapidly falling out again. My current surgeon is fague about the causes, sais its probably stress related and saying i should get propecia. Now he is ignoring me after i reached out to him again that my situationnis worsening. Really frustrating!

the thing is, i am wondering if its me. Could it be a strong form of Aga in the recipient area? Could it be hormonal? I do suffer from chronic fatigue due to a burnout. I got this for 2 years now unfortunately. Can that be the cause? I am eating healthy , excercise otherwise.

to sum up: transplants are falling out again for the second time after 7 or 8 months of growth. Please help.

Edited by JerryJerry
Double sentence removed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are a number of reasons why procedures fail.  The most common issue is global thinning. If there is loss in the donor, the transplanted hair will disappear as well.  

Have you been doing any type of medical therapy to help you with retention of the native stuff?

My first suggestion is go to the dermatopathologist. They can do a biopsy and give you a lot more information.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, JerryJerry said:

Dear all,

i desperately need some help, hopefully a respected surgeon can help me in this matter, or someone who experienced what i do now. . My first hair transplant i had 2,5 years ago, 2200 grafts on the frontal area: that one failed because my transplants where falling out after 7 , 8 months ago untill the point my hair situation was almost worse then before the hair restoration. I blamed it on the surgeon at that time. He was ignorant of possible causes. I figured it was poorly done / bad luck and had another surgery like 9 months ago, some 1000 grafts to restore the frontal area. With another surgeon. Much to my distress i ve noticed my transplanted hair is thinning again! The rest of my head is ok, maybe a bit of shedding because its summer but nothing disturbing. After some decent growth for about 7 months its rapidly falling out again. My current surgeon is fague about the causes, sais its probably stress related and saying i should get propecia. Now he is ignoring me after i reached out to him again that my situationnis worsening. Really frustrating!

the thing is, i am wondering if its me. Could it be a strong form of Aga in the recipient area? Could it be hormonal? I do suffer from chronic fatigue due to a burnout. I got this for 2 years now unfortunately. Can that be the cause? I am eating healthy , excercise otherwise.

to sum up: transplants are falling out again for the second time after 7 or 8 months of growth. Please help.

That is very disheartening, for sure. Keep us posted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/26/2019 at 2:31 PM, JerryJerry said:

Dear all,

i desperately need some help, hopefully a respected surgeon can help me in this matter, or someone who experienced what i do now. . My first hair transplant i had 2,5 years ago, 2200 grafts on the frontal area: that one failed because my transplants where falling out after 7 , 8 months ago untill the point my hair situation was almost worse then before the hair restoration. I blamed it on the surgeon at that time. He was ignorant of possible causes. I figured it was poorly done / bad luck and had another surgery like 9 months ago, some 1000 grafts to restore the frontal area. With another surgeon. Much to my distress i ve noticed my transplanted hair is thinning again! The rest of my head is ok, maybe a bit of shedding because its summer but nothing disturbing. After some decent growth for about 7 months its rapidly falling out again. My current surgeon is fague about the causes, sais its probably stress related and saying i should get propecia. Now he is ignoring me after i reached out to him again that my situationnis worsening. Really frustrating!

the thing is, i am wondering if its me. Could it be a strong form of Aga in the recipient area? Could it be hormonal? I do suffer from chronic fatigue due to a burnout. I got this for 2 years now unfortunately. Can that be the cause? I am eating healthy , excercise otherwise.

to sum up: transplants are falling out again for the second time after 7 or 8 months of growth. Please help.

Clearly understood what you are going through. I would like to tell you that no on can help you other than a a highly qualified and experienced hair transplant specialist. I know some of the best hair transplant centers and they have amazing results. Why wouldn't it be they use only high tech medical science equipment. I would also advice you to consult a good doctor if you need positive result. if you need some other advice feel free to ask.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/26/2019 at 3:12 PM, LaserCap said:

There are a number of reasons why procedures fail.  The most common issue is global thinning. If there is loss in the donor, the transplanted hair will disappear as well.  

Have you been doing any type of medical therapy to help you with retention of the native stuff?

My first suggestion is go to the dermatopathologist. They can do a biopsy and give you a lot more information.  

Thanks for replying. There just inplants on that area, no native hairs anymore. Thats why i am concerned

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Jerry, 

Sorry to hear about this. I second the suggestion to have a scalp biopsy and determine whether or not this may be caused to an underlying immune-mediated process. You may have an underlying condition that is causing the body to inappropriately attack the follicles and cause them to fall out. Are you having any other symptoms? Redness or inflammation of the scalp? Any patches of hair missing from the donor region or any other hair-bearing areas of the body like your beard or chest? 

 


Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

 

 

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

 

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

 

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

 

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

 

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Dr Blake Bloxham said:

Hi Jerry, 

Sorry to hear about this. I second the suggestion to have a scalp biopsy and determine whether or not this may be caused to an underlying immune-mediated process. You may have an underlying condition that is causing the body to inappropriately attack the follicles and cause them to fall out. Are you having any other symptoms? Redness or inflammation of the scalp? Any patches of hair missing from the donor region or any other hair-bearing areas of the body like your beard or chest? 

 

Dr Bloxham

which specific immune related scalp issues could cause something like this? Lichen planopilaris? More common diseases such as psoriasis or seb derm wouldn’t have this kind of effect, correct?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi JJ, 

No, I do not believe psoriasis or seborrheic dermatitis would cause this. I have had several patients experience flare-ups of both in the post-op, and it did not affect final yield. 

What I was referring to was specific types of inflammatory or immune-mediated types of alopecia like LPP, areata, etc. 

  • Thanks 1

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

 

 

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

 

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

 

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

 

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

 

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 


I do not provide medical advice, recommendations, all responses are my opinion.

My Hair Transplant Journey

Melvin- Associate Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media Instagram @thehairtransplantnetwork FacebookPintrest, Linkedin and YouTube.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for replying. I ve not such thing as redness... or itchiness ..it appears to be diffuse., just the implanted area. I dont have any patches on my body either. i made an appointment with a dermatologist. Could it still be an auto immune disease after regrowth? If so, is there something that can be done about it?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/28/2019 at 9:48 PM, Melvin-Moderator said:

 

 Thanks for the info. I dont think any of the three causes apply to me though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/26/2019 at 3:12 PM, LaserCap said:

There are a number of reasons why procedures fail.  The most common issue is global thinning. If there is loss in the donor, the transplanted hair will disappear as well.  

Have you been doing any type of medical therapy to help you with retention of the native stuff?

My first suggestion is go to the dermatopathologist. They can do a biopsy and give you a lot more information.  

Hai , I made an appointment with the dermatologist. 

 

The implanted area didnt have any native hairs anymore...my donor site look oke too, its just the frontal implanted zone thats thinning.

thanks for your suggestions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you going through a lot of stress? It could be telogen effluvium which causes temporary baldness. 


I do not provide medical advice, recommendations, all responses are my opinion.

My Hair Transplant Journey

Melvin- Associate Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media Instagram @thehairtransplantnetwork FacebookPintrest, Linkedin and YouTube.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/26/2019 at 3:12 PM, LaserCap said:

There are a number of reasons why procedures fail.  The most common issue is global thinning. If there is loss in the donor, the transplanted hair will disappear as well.  

Have you been doing any type of medical therapy to help you with retention of the native stuff?

My first suggestion is go to the dermatopathologist. They can do a biopsy and give you a lot more information.  

Hai , I made an appointment with the dermatologist. 

 

The implanted area didnt have any native hairs anymore...my donor site look oke too, its just the frontal implanted zone thats thinning.

thanks for your suggestions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Are you going through a lot of stress? It could be telogen effluvium which causes temporary baldness. 

Yeah i do, i have a burn out since two years, that makes you prone to stress as well unfortunately. My most stress is because of my hair loss though.

I have to point out that the hair did grew for a while under the same stresslevels and  stress got up when i noticed thinning.

the rest of my hair seems ok but maybe its less noticable because there us still a lot.

maybe transplanted grafts are just more sensitive for TE, i sdont know...

 

Is there a sign its telogen effluvium? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/30/2019 at 7:59 AM, JerryJerry said:

Yeah i do, i have a burn out since two years, that makes you prone to stress as well unfortunately. My most stress is because of my hair loss though.

I have to point out that the hair did grew for a while under the same stresslevels and  stress got up when i noticed thinning.

the rest of my hair seems ok but maybe its less noticable because there us still a lot.

maybe transplanted grafts are just more sensitive for TE, i sdont know...

 

Is there a sign its telogen effluvium? 

 

Telogen effluvium usually leads to global thinning, not just one area. You’ll usually notice lots of hair coming out during showers and combing etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you have FUE? If so, was the donor area spread out too much going too high on the sides and back and too low just above the ears and nape area? Those areas tend to be areas that start thinning as you get older, so take a look at all of your donor area and see if it looks like the donor area may be thinning. Also there may be some degree of natural hair cycling. What happens is after the hair transplant all of your hair is on the same growth cycle. At around 9 to 12 months all of the hair is growing. After that some of it starts to fall out and regrow as all hair does. Over time there should always be maybe 10% of follicles that are in shedding and regrowth phase, so in some people after one to two years it can look like you have 10% less hair from the transplant than you did a few months earlier.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×