Kaan Pekiner 2506+1000grafts almost 2 years after- my result

dredd77

Hello, I would like to share my experience. Perhaps it would be helpful for somebody. I had 2 operations with Dr. Kaan Pekiner in Turkey Ankara. I had 2506grafts transplanted 20 months ago and 1000 grafts transplanted 8 months ago. The 12-month result after the first transplant (2506 grafts) turned out to be very bad, and Dr. Kaan offered a free touch up with 1000 grafts, and I agreed.

I am disappointed with the results so far, the front line density is low. From my personal point of view, the second operation 1000 grafts survived much better than the first  2506 grafts. Dr. Kaan said that the reason of such result is that I did not take finasteride/minoxidil, but I am not sure what the real reason is. The healing process was fine both times.         

About the medication, I used minoxidil 5% for half a year before the first operation and sometime after. It worked but I got some side effects and quit. I took Xpecia for some time, but got side effects and quit.

before:

preop.thumb.jpeg.fb22fdb10ce49e13233ff075151a4e33.jpeg

post first op 933543093_postop.thumb.JPG.d79cca61086e4531b794a8ae13fb996b.JPG

IMG_0119.thumb.JPG.b8b795abaa7f0f6676723c137e887f16.JPG

6 months after first op 1747683648_6monthsfirstop.thumb.JPG.59dd7d1252e8e0138429c8720ab80da3.JPG

12 months after first op 2003187599_12months.thumb.jpg.3bad390377dcd09e2c96edb6ceb6176d.jpg1565724837_donor12months.thumb.JPG.d2bf1004ecb3a472ec106b3a77f93629.JPG

8 months after the second op344423703_8months2-ndop.thumb.jpg.6f31f4e66598c3b2e97c94fa48d2dc4a.jpg2131522578_8months2-ndop_2.thumb.jpg.8c570f1432e797f312f53870482a8bc7.jpg1123671379_8months2-ndop3.thumb.jpg.e1969fdacade45920604c4114cd5a32d.jpg

I’m sorry to hear you aren’t happy with your results. This doctor has been mentioned here a few times as of late and seems highly regarded especially since rumor is he trained with Keser and hlc.

what is his latest reply towards your results after surgery 2?

do you know if you have any scalp issues historically such as psoriasis, dermatitis, itchy scalp?

you may want to visit a dermatologist or get a biopsy performed if you do surgery again. I’m not an expert this is just my opinion 

8 hours ago, jj51702 said:

rumor is he trained with Keser and hlc.

When I asked Dr. Keser about that, he seemed quite dismissive of this and said he just watched and was not involved at all. He also seemed a bit shocked that Kaan used his name to promote himself on his website. 

In terms of this result, unfortunately if you don't take any DHT blocker you'll likely either lose all the surrounding native hair or be giving your surgeon the perfect excuse if anything goes wrong. I had sides too. What people don't realise is the sides nearly always go after time. Instead they panic because of all the untrue stories they see online. 

I think the grafts might have been placed too close together causing a low survival rate of the grafts. This happens. That’s why a good approach would be to do 30-35 per cm and then do a second pass! I bet that’s exactly what happened here!

16 hours ago, jj51702 said:

I’m sorry to hear you aren’t happy with your results. This doctor has been mentioned here a few times as of late and seems highly regarded especially since rumor is he trained with Keser and hlc.

what is his latest reply towards your results after surgery 2?

do you know if you have any scalp issues historically such as psoriasis, dermatitis, itchy scalp?

you may want to visit a dermatologist or get a biopsy performed if you do surgery again. I’m not an expert this is just my opinion 

He just said that the reason in the medication, he did everything best on the surgical part.

No I did not have any problem with the scalp, just right now my scalp is much more sensitive then before.

7 hours ago, jonnyalex said:

When I asked Dr. Keser about that, he seemed quite dismissive of this and said he just watched and was not involved at all. He also seemed a bit shocked that Kaan used his name to promote himself on his website. 

In terms of this result, unfortunately if you don't take any DHT blocker you'll likely either lose all the surrounding native hair or be giving your surgeon the perfect excuse if anything goes wrong. I had sides too. What people don't realise is the sides nearly always go after time. Instead they panic because of all the untrue stories they see online. 

What sides exactly did you have and when did they go away? I got strong depression and low libido and after 2 weeks I quit, could not wait more.

Edited by dredd77

51 minutes ago, dredd77 said:

He just said that the reason in the medication, he did everything best on the surgical part.

No I did not have any problem with the scalp, just right now my scalp is much more sensitive then before.

What sides exactly did you have and when did they go away? I got strong depression and low libido and after 2 weeks I quit, could not wait more.

Low libido. It is now the opposite in fact.. too high

Hello everybody, my name is Alex, I am the Italian advisor of dr. Pekiner Hair Clinic, I also take care of English-speaking patients.

I am in the hair transplant world since 2003, beginning in an old Italian forum, then in 2006 I started to post in an American one (under the name Starscream). I underwent a hairline HT surgery with dr. Keser in 2016; then I got in touch with dr. Pekiner who was opening his new clinic and I became his advisor. I had a final hairline touch up and beard surgery with him in 2018, I will share my experiences in this forum soon.

Coming to the point of this topic, at first I want to say I did not follow this patient, he came through the former Russian advisor, I became aware of his case when he started to post it in internet some days ago.

Dr. Pekiner and clinic staff told me that this patient first and main failure is that he never followed dr. Pekiner's rules, instructions and medical advices.

The second important thing to know is that this is the only case where we met such an extended regrowth deficiency. It can happen that small zones show delayed or less regrowth, but we have never experienced to such an extent.

Another important thing to point out is that each case before and after his first (04 December 2017) and second (21 November 2018) operation, went perfectly fine and are documented in dr. Pekiner's site and other forums. I cannot link them here because they are considered promotional content. Hoping not to break forum rules, I can give datas of them so that you can search in the net if interested:

first case 2305 grafts dense pack

second case 3256 grafts (of which 1121 from beard) second surgery for crown

third case 1501 grafts dense pack (allnakedorafk)

fourth case 1800 grafts dense pack (Max1972)

Same procedures, technique, also same assistants were used in all these consecutive surgeries. They all came out perfectly fine except Russian patient, twice (even if the second time he performed a little better).

The important question is then "why". Dr. Pekiner doesn't think of any skin condition or illness that made the transplanted grafts not grow well. He thinks the patient failed to follow his advices and instructions. After the second operation, free of charge, when he showed again poor regrowth rate, he was invited to come and visit a dermatologist, but he refused. Even if physiological or pathological flaws like poor microcirculation or dermatitis are not probable, they are still plausible and should be investigated.

Leave it alone the fact that this patient seems now engaged in the mission of destroying dr. Pekiner's reputation all around the world, posting in all the forums and media he did not know they existed just 1 month ago.

Thank you for reading.

On 8/20/2019 at 11:56 AM, jonnyalex said:

Dr. Pekiner started his career in the hair transplant world at dr. Keser's clinic, that is a fact. Many patients ask where he was formed and where he learned the manual FUE techinque. Stating the truth is not a promotional use of his experience at Keser's clinic, we only wrote this in his private curriclum vitae and it is specified he did not perform surgeries at Keser's, while he did at HLC later.

Dr. Keser is not mentioned everywhere else except in this brief CV of dr. Pekiner, for what reason we should omit where he trained and worked before?

3 hours ago, Sky_walker said:

It isnt possible to tell an exact reason.Maybe the grafts were placed too close.The yield is really low according to the total graft number. Are you planning a third session?

It doesn't look probable, this case was treated at a density of 50 grafts per cm2 as average; dense but a not super dense pack like 60 or more needed for Norwood 1 to 3 with high native density and tiny grafts and hair caliber.

Edited by firstduty

I was advised to take Propecia or Xpecia and Minoxidil, but to support my native hair, not the transplanted ones. If the HT is useless if not taking drugs it should be mentioned before the HT.

I do not care about dr.Kaan reputation. I was first from Russia and I told dr.Kaan about Russian forum devoted to HT, his team representatives registered there after and he got many clients from there. I made him a free advertising.

Sure, now I am disappointed, money and time spent with no result.

4 hours ago, Sky_walker said:

It isnt possible to tell an exact reason.Maybe the grafts were placed too close.The yield is really low according to the total graft number. Are you planning a third session?

Thought about third operation, but need to choose a doctor

• Administrators

@dredd77

Why would you decline going for further testing? I think it should be noted that every surgeon has cases of poor growth. Some patients do not yield optimal results for certain dermatological reasons. I think it is important to understand that no surgery can ever be guaranteed. Before you even think about a third surgery. You should make sure that there is no underlying medical condition that could be causing poor growth. 

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

27 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

@dredd77

Why would you decline going for further testing? I think it should be noted that every surgeon has cases of poor growth. Some patients do not yield optimal results for certain dermatological reasons. I think it is important to understand that no surgery can ever be guaranteed. Before you even think about a third surgery. You should make sure that there is no underlying medical condition that could be causing poor growth. 

I did not like the way the representative was speaking with me by the phone. When I refused to delete the report, she became a sort of aggressive and began to say things about "Russian mentality" and so on.

Doubtful that the reason is in dermatological issues, I visited doctors here in Moscow,  they did not find anything wrong.

Edited by dredd77

• Administrators
44 minutes ago, dredd77 said:

I did not like the way the representative was speaking with me by the phone. When I refused to delete the report, she became a sort of aggressive and began to say things about "Russian mentality" and so on.

Doubtful that the reason is in dermatological issues, I visited doctors here in Moscow,  they did not find anything wrong.

What report?  I thought they offered to send you to a dermatologist when you had your touch-up. Just trying to get some clarification.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

A week ago I published my report on one forum (the place from which I knew about Kaan Pekiner). Instantly I got a call from the director of the Pekiner team (as she introduced herself) and she asked to delete the report. During the conversation she mentioned that maybe I could come to Turkey to see the dermatologist.

Edited by dredd77

• Administrators
21 minutes ago, Uncle drew said:

The fact that Dr Pekiner offered a free touch up procedure shows a lot of what kind of doctor he is and how much he cares about the patients offering also to take him to a dermatologist to see if an underlying issue exists 

I agree. Unfortunately, as I’ve said many times hair transplants are never guaranteed. Literally every surgeon in the world has had sub-optimal growth for some reason or other, but what separates run of the mill surgeons from elite, is how they stand by their work and the patient.

• Like 1

View my thread

56 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I agree. Unfortunately, as I’ve said many times hair transplants are never guaranteed. Literally every surgeon in the world has had sub-optimal growth for some reason or other, but what separates run of the mill surgeons from elite, is how they stand by their work and the patient.

Amen to that !!

I will have a hair transplant with Dr. Kaan in September. I hope that your problem can be solved properly. I think Dr. Kaan should be a responsible doctor and I am looking forward to my success because I have all the savings for this operation.

On 8/19/2019 at 6:29 PM, dredd77 said:

Dr. Kaan said that the reason of such result is that I did not take finasteride/minoxidil,

I’m a big fan of dr Kaan and his work, but this is absolute  nonsense, if his existing hair had fallen out then I would agree. But it is clear from the photos the hairline was lowered and temples were filled in. Let’s not forget here guys, we are looking at 3500 grafts in total.This could be just one of those unlucky patients that, for, whatever reason the majority of grafts have just not survived. 

I would be interested if some of the  Dr’s on this forum gave their professional  opinion. I really feel for you dredd77 

All the best.

• Like 1

Looks like he packed out the front to aggressively for the first go. Even if he lost his native hair the front should look better then that looking at the pictures and how dense he tried to get the frontal hairline. I would say this is partly the doctor’s fault. He should take into account a realistic number of grafts per sq cm on the first procedure. Sure higher is better but a greater risk of not all the grafts surviving. Doctors never take the blame it’s bad for business but I call it how I see it. 

5 minutes ago, Guy73 said:

Looks like he packed out the front to aggressively for the first go. Even if he lost his native hair the front should look better then that looking at the pictures and how dense he tried to get the frontal hairline. I would say this is partly the doctor’s fault. He should take into account a realistic number of grafts per sq cm on the first procedure. Sure higher is better but a greater risk of not all the grafts surviving. Doctors never take the blame it’s bad for business but I call it how I see it

Interesting!! 

I agree to a certain extent, that’s why I was curious to see what the Docs think.