Would you go to doctor that makes you sign a NDA?

I learned recently on the forum that some doctors require the patient to sign an NDA (Non-disclosure agreement).  I'd like to know more about these NDAs, and what they include.  Does it mean you're not allowed to leave a negative review for the doctor if your procedure goes bad?  Or just no posting photos?  

Personally, I'd be really hesitant to go to a place that requires a strict NDA. It seems this would take all accountability away.  And it would make me suspicious of their online reviews. 

• Administrators

I agree with Dr. Vories, 

Why would you sign an NDA? What are they hiding would be my first thought.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Let me go into a tangent for a sec....When I think of an NDA, secrets come to mind.  Not disclose what? Advancements in the industry? Something that's working? Don't get me wrong, lots of collaboration does happen at the ISHRS, for example.  Many are involved to make this industry a better one.  It is still amazing to me how many people still think a hair transplant will result in plugs.  The ignorance out there is unreal...Or is it? I''ve witnessed doctors just getting started and having no clue....harvesting with a punch bigger than a 1.5.  And, when making sites, rows! Can you imagine?  Stick to the doctors on this site and you should be fine.

The point I am trying to make, however, there should not be any secrets.  Why not collaborate with others, perhaps not as knowledgeable, but in the end will make the industry better?  If this happens, everyone wins. 

NDA...hmm. If no one signs the thing...I wonder what the practice would do. Not do the procedure?  Eventually they would need to discard the entire idea.  Funny how patients do have a lot of collective power...they just don't know it.

• Like 1

Would I knowingly go to a doctor that makes me sign an nda knowingly? HELL NO

ny interpretation of that would be:

1. The doctor will not stand by his work nor you, the patient, if something goes wrong

2. It Makes it seem like they have something to hide 

3. They only care about inflated reviews online 

etc

• Administrators
1 minute ago, jj51702 said:

Would I knowingly go to a doctor that makes me sign an nda knowingly? HELL NO

ny interpretation of that would be:

1. The doctor will not stand by his work nor you, the patient, if something goes wrong

2. It Makes it seem like they have something to hide 

3. They only care about inflated reviews online 

etc

All valid points. Another question is what is your recourse if something goes wrong? You’ll essentially be left with no options.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• Administrators
28 minutes ago, LaserCap said:

Funny how patients do have a lot of collective power...they just don't know it.

That’s why this forum exists for the collective power and wisdom.

View my thread

These NDAs are basically to prevent the patient from telling his story publicly if something goes wrong...and I agree it's absurd because it leaves the patient gagged with no recourse whatsoever.

We live in an age of social media everywhere so that's what some of these clinics fear.

Edited by gillenator

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

NDA, no way. Those shouldn't be the reliable doctors who do this. I doubt them their skills as well, having a great hair transplant surgeons who have no such inappropriate restrictions to show, allow their patients to share their reviews & results pics without any fear.

• 3 months later...
On 8/14/2019 at 8:55 PM, Melvin-Moderator said:

All valid points. Another question is what is your recourse if something goes wrong? You’ll essentially be left with no options.

This is true.  Even though it’s elective surgery, patients should have options when something goes wrong.  

8 hours ago, 911fan said:

What about guarantees? Should a clinic offer a guarantee of results? It doesn't make sense to me because a guarantee doesn't mean the result will be what you want, it just means they'll do more work on you. I can't believe that it won't be a long process to get to that point either, because it seems like every clinic out there is resistant to taking responsibility if the result isn't what you wanted. Does it even make sense to go back to the scene of the crime? And then suppose you do go back, won't they have you sign an NDA to keep quiet?

Tough subject and a complicated one.  If the doctor is a good one and straight as an arrow, I am sure he would offer some type of guarantee.  The problem, however, there are too many variables to contend with, including the patient. First, what is the guarantee on?  Growth, density, that medical therapy will work? Some of these are out of the control of the doctor.  

There are exceptions. If the patient has done everything the doctor has asked, and the results are poor, some type of concession will come into play.  

• Administrators
22 hours ago, 911fan said:

What about guarantees? Should a clinic offer a guarantee of results? It doesn't make sense to me because a guarantee doesn't mean the result will be what you want, it just means they'll do more work on you. I can't believe that it won't be a long process to get to that point either, because it seems like every clinic out there is resistant to taking responsibility if the result isn't what you wanted. Does it even make sense to go back to the scene of the crime? And then suppose you do go back, won't they have you sign an NDA to keep quiet?

I think you should be weary of any surgeon/clinic offering any sort of guarantee. As we all know, there are no guarantees. In my experience, the clinics that offer refunds are likely the ones to attach that to an NDA. I can understand from a business standpoint why they do it, but I don't agree with it at all. I don't think any surgeons should be refunding any money, because there are no guarantees with surgery. This is something we as patients need to consider before agreeing to have surgery. If the procedure doesn't come out good, we cannot then demand a refund knowing well that we weren't guaranteed anything. 

View my thread

Any form of cosmetic surgery has risks and why guarantees are unrealistic.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY