Please help me make the right choice FUE

heirseeker

Hello all,

So I am 30 years old, started losing my hair about 4 years ago and I am a Norwood 4 / 5 at the moment. I am based in the UK.

I tried Minoxidil and finasteride for a year in 2017 but side effects forced me to stop them both.

I have had some consultations already with some UK clinics and a couple of foreign clinics.

The general consensus is that my donor capacity is around 6000 grafts and that I would need around 3000 - 3500 to cover my hairline and front third. I would need another approx 2000 to cover my crown.

The surgeons from UK all said that I should not do all 5000 grafts in one sitting as this will damage my donor area and it is too much for one procedure. I should do it 6 to 12 months apart and this way they can be safer. The Turkish clinics are saying to do all at once.

I feel more comfortable doing this over two procedures just in case. I also would be more comfortable with a very experienced surgeon who has one patient per day and is very hands on and involved in the procedure (rather than a technician heavy procedure). Apart from the implantation part which i understand most clinics use technicians to do.

My budget is £2 (£2.5 max at a push) per graft and I do not mind travelling.

Does anyone have any recommendations to which clinics to approach?

FYI I have already approached:

Belgium: Dr Bisanga, Dr Lupanzala and Dr Feriduni.

Turkey: Dr Yaman

UK: Dr Ball

Any help/advise will be greatly appreciated! I have attached my photos for info.

Thanks in advance!

Hair 1.png

Hair 2.png

Hair 3.png

Hair 4.png

Hair 5.png

1 minute ago, Helios said:

Good surgeons. Also consider Dr Maras in Cyprus as he and his clinic prioritise preserving as much of your donor hair as possible and being as cautious as possible. 

Thanks, is Dr Maras the same as HDC clinic?

With a max budget of £2.5 per graft, you are probably limited to clinics in Turkey, Greece and India to be honest. Dr Bisanga works out of a clinic in Athens to and I believe the cost is 2.5 euros per graft so maybe something to consider. Apart from that, I'd be looking at ASMED, Dr Cinik and Dr Demirsoy in Turkey and as already mentioned Dr Maras from the HDC clinic in Cyprus. 

Alternative could be to save some more to enable you to widen the net somewhat so you can look at more options.

• Thanks 1

Btw when I messaged Turkey they were quick to tell me to do 5,000 in one procedure. I refused. Dr Maras divides the surgery and does no more than 3,000-3,500 in one session. He also did the hairline design, most of the extractions, and incisions himself while the technicians did the rest of the extractions and implantation.

• Like 1

• Administrators

My advice is save some money do not let money be a deciding factor. Also, consider strip first, it’ll be cheaper and more efficient in terms of coverage.

• Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

@heirseeker

Wishing you the very best of luck in your search for the best surgeon for you.

You do have options for the higher end of your budget. Keep consulting and doing further research.

You mention some solid physicians, although most of these would be rather substantially out of your current budget.

As Melvin said, dont let finances be your ultimate deciding or limiting factor. Almost all of us patients are price conscious to some degree or another and whilst 5000 grafts is undoubtedly a substantial financial investment, it is also a substantial investment from your donor area, and if you get it wrong, you may not be in a position to fix it. 

Good luck.

• Thanks 1

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Some great advice thank you all very much. 

I have had similar reports about Turkey going for 4000+ to cover everything in one sitting which I'm not comfortable with. I'm sure many people have been fine doing this. 

With regards to FUT as an option I did consider but I did not want any scar despite the cheaper price and higher number of grafts. 

• Administrators
14 minutes ago, heirseeker said:

Some great advice thank you all very much. 

I have had similar reports about Turkey going for 4000+ to cover everything in one sitting which I'm not comfortable with. I'm sure many people have been fine doing this. 

With regards to FUT as an option I did consider but I did not want any scar despite the cheaper price and higher number of grafts. 

You’re gonna have scars either way. 

• Sad 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

The other thing I am trying to understand is that, someone for example like Dr Demirsoy charges approx 1.25£ per graft compared to some surgeons charging £3 per graft. I know some places are cheaper because they are technician led and they do more than one patient a day etc but not everywhere.

Is the other surgeons work (who charge £3) really 3 times better than what an experienced surgeon like Dr Demirsoy would do?

Is the extra cost because they are using more modern and up to date technology?

Or is the extra cost purely overheads?

Im finding that It's so difficult to compare and justify cost differences

I'm just using Dr Demirsoy as an example because I know he has 1 pt a day and does most the procedure himself so it's a fairer comparison

Edited by heirseeker
Additional information

Every procedure causes scarring to an extent but FUE are more spaced out dots whereas FUT is a long strip on the back. With FUE I’ve gone down to a 1 guard with very minimal evidence of the surgery. You can’t have the hair that short with FUT

my opinion is that even if you don’t go to Dr Maras at least send his clinic an email because they will give you a very honest and detailed account on the benefits and risks of the surgery from the beginning. A lot of clinics that I contacted didn’t do that and were quick to try and sell me something.

• Like 1

Thank you all for the very kind advice 

My situation at the moment is: 

Dr maras recommends 3000 grafts over 2 consecutive days for just hairline and front third (not crown)

Dr lupanzala recommends 3000 grafts over 2 consecutive days for just hairline and front third (not crown)

Dr Demirsoy recommends 3500 -4000 grafts in one sitting in 1 day for just hairline and front third (not crown).

Dr Yaman recommends 3000 grafts over 1 day sitting for just hairline and front third (not crown).

Dr maras and dr lupanzala will cost 3 x more than the dr yaman and dr Demirsoy. I can afford the more expensive Dr Maras / Dr Lupanzala but is it worth it? The reviews here are all positive for all the surgeons I listed. Only difference I can see is that the Turkish doctors will do the procedure in one day whereas Dr Maras / Dr lupanzala do it over 2 days. Is that something that should affect my decision?

Sorry for asking so many questions!

• Administrators

Have you factored the cost of travel and convenience, also do any of the surgeons have any examples with similar hair loss pattens and characteristics? Some things to consider and help you.

View my thread

I understand the difficulty in choosing a surgeon. I spent months and months researching and ultimately decided on Dr Maras as he and his clinics main priority was safety and the long term future. He also has accommodation directly opposite the clinic.

I personally had excellent results with him 

Good luck with whatever surgeon you go with hairseeker. There is no such thing as asking too many questions when it comes to this surgery.

This is something you want to get right from the start. I had six top surgeons in mind from Turkey, Belgium, Cyprus etc  and I spent months before finally deciding on one.

Many people have rushed in to this or tried to save money only to regret that decision for years later. There is no such thing as being too safe or too cautious. Please keep us updated on what surgeon you go for. 

• Thanks 1

It seems like you're doing your due diligence by researching thoroughly and asking lots of questions. By laying this groundwork upfront, you're already setting yourself up to win. I understand the stress behind making a final decison and wanting to make sure you pick the "right" surgeon, so something to consider is that there is no "one right answer" to this... Everyone will have a different opinion or a different point of view as to who you should go to, so as long as you're being responsible and thoughtful in your decision making process (which you are), it really comes down to trusting your gut and choosing the surgeon you feel the most comfortable with. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Thanks for the advice, I had a consultation with a uk surgeon yesterday who recommended that I don't do any surgery because I might start getting hair loss in my donor area! 
Strange because I have seen many surgeons and he is the 1st to say that!

@heirseeker

Regarding your recent consultation with a UK surgeon. Who was that?

Why did he feel that you may begin to loose hair/thin in your donor? Is your donor showing signs of miniaturisation? Did you discuss this with him?

Obviously for him to recommend you not proceed with surgery, he isn't making this decision due to financial motivations. However this doesn't mean that every surgeon will have the same understanding or approach, or even agree with him. 

I am intrigued to learn more.

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

On 8/17/2019 at 3:15 PM, heirseeker said:

Thanks for the advice, I had a consultation with a uk surgeon yesterday who recommended that I don't do any surgery because I might start getting hair loss in my donor area! 
Strange because I have seen many surgeons and he is the 1st to say that!

Getting that advice from one surgeon isn't much to worry about, although it would be worth relaying that information to the other surgeons you've seen and find out what their specific counterargument to that is.

If you were to get this same response from multiple doctors, then you'd have something to really consider. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators

I have no idea why this post was reported. Solid advice.

• Like 1

View my thread