FUE Hairline query

• Moderators

It should be singles only. Some FUE clinics aren't using microscopes these days and end up putting a fairly large number of doubles in the hairline. Unfortunately this seems to be becoming acceptable to patients because they are so focused on getting FUE rather than FUT and forget about what really matters which is how natural (or not) it looks. Now if you do get maybe 1 or 2 doubles in the hairline, then that's fine. Nobody is going to notice that except for you.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

3 hours ago, morrow said:

Hi all,

For a natural look should the very front row of the hairline be single grafts only or can this also be achieved with a mix of singles and doubles? 

Thanks! 

The first question is, what is your definition of a hairline.  How wide is it?  A finger's width?  Also what age are we talking about?  You have to remember hairlines adjust with age, (most of them).  Go to the mirror like I just did.  Just looked in the very front and noticed 2 hair coming out of one pore.  (This is my natural hair towards the forelock where I did not have grafts).  These are finer hairs and it's natural. Now, don't tilt your head forward.  Besides the very front, can you see behind the first 1/8 of an inch?  I can't.

I do think the hairline is composed of singles and doubles, but it's finer hair.  I didn't notice any course stuff.  It'll be interesting to see what others post. Do keep in mind, as BeHappy notes, no one stands that close to you and won't be able to tell.

The main aim of modern HT surgery is to mimic to the best of our ability what's natural. A typical hairline is composed of two main regions : a transition zone and a defined zone. The transition zone is really as the name implies that zone of few millimeters that marks the end of your bare forehead and the beginning of your hair/scalp. Hairs there are usually fine and thin. Ofcourse, in nature, some may exist in doubles but the calibre and nature of hair in that area is best transplanted using single only fine hairs. This zone is only few millimeters in width and is irregular (not a straight line) and hence the macro and micro irregularities are also drawn in a hairline. As for the defined zone, this comes immediately after and in fact blended with the transition zone. Here, it is best to integrate and blend bigger grafts in order to start giving the illusion of density. If this is nicely done and blended behind the initial transition zone of single hairs, then we should get a nicely balanced and natural hairline. 

• Like 1

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Contact me via WhatsApp at +962798378396 (Jordan) 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

In most cases it should be singles only. Generally it takes several hundred one hair FU's packed very closely and with a slight irregularity to create a more natural appearance. the only time a two hair FU can be used without looking unnatural is if the patients hair is super fine and light in color.