Am I balding or is this a normal hair whirl. I’m only 16 and I recently had a haircut

Unfortunately these are out of focus....Does seem you have a great deal of hair.  Off hand I would say there is nothing to worry about, but start taking photos 6 months apart.  Have someone else take the photos.  Best to be proactive.

That looks normal to me brother.

I understand your initial concern... but keep in mind that as you have medium length hair, as opposed to the more common length of 1 to 2 inches, the weight of the hair makes them kind of lie flatter and out to the sides, where as if you had shorter hair they would be somewhat more upright, and the swirl would be a lot less exposed.

But honestly, in my opinion you still have a very healthy crown. If you do have family history of male pattern balding, and you do start to notice thinning, then of course, seek advice and do research into medication such as finasteride which will blow down (and in some cases, even recover) any hairloss.

You appear to have ZERO hair loss. Keep a check on it with pics every few months if it's really bothering you, but I very much doubt it will change in the short to medium term.

I am an online representative for Farjo Hair Institute

Dr. Bessam Farjo is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions shared are my own.

Thanks everyone for your answers. Both my mom and dad who are 60 still have lots of hair and I’m not noting a lot of hair falling out so I think it was a false alarm. I had never seen the back of head before so I was worried. My crown just seems to have more scalp than others but I guess that is not a sign. Again thank you all for giving me your opinions.

This is normal. The center of a cowlick always looks thinner because all of the hair are dispersing in opposite directions away from the center. ( Starburst pattern) as compared to the frontal and mid scalp areas where the hairs are all directed in the dame direction which creates a layering or feathering effect.