What can I do for crown/sides beyond dermaroller & minox?

I've had 5 transplants starting since around 2001. Have a look at my blog/history if you're curious.

Basically bc of persistent sides, I had to quit finasteride in the summer of 2015. 4 years later, I keep my hair very short and give the impression of someone with short hair who is balding at the crown. But, my worse case scenario is coming true which is that the horseshoe shape is starting to define itself and I'm now losing hair on the sides of the crown. Which means that in a few years, the transplanted area will detach from the sides altogether and I will be f*cked. Other than removing the transplants in some miraculous surgery, I don't know what else to do and am feeling very depressed. Depressed enough, I might just go back on finasteride (though I apply topical fin 3/4x week and have no idea if it helps).

First I'll attach a photo from 2015, though obviously the lighting is very very different and I still had some native hair mixed within the transplants. Then I'll attach 2 photos from today that show the loss starting around the sides.

My current regime: topical finasteride 3-4x/week, dermaroller 1x/week, 5% Rogaine 2x/day.

Are there any other inside tips for small gains or regrowth I could try around the crown or any new developments in this world since I've been out of touch with the hair regrowth game for 5-6 years? Thank you guys.

IMG_0736_cropped.jpg

Jan 2000 - 600 FUT with Dr Kurgis (MHR)

Sept 2011 - 1411 FUT with Dr Paul Shapiro

Jan 2013 - 1800 FUT with Dr Paul Shapiro

Sep 2014 - 1000 FUE with Dr Paul Shapiro

My Hairloss Blog »

In your case I would suggest dermarolling gently nightly with a 0.5mm dermaroller (then after applying your topical)  I’ve seen some very good results from guys doing this method and personally I’m microneedling every 3rd night with 0.5-1mm nightly gently and 2mm once every 7-9 nights not so gently and am really happy with my progress as areas look to be filling in. I use a derma pen that uses needle cartridges and is easy to adjust needle length rather than have multiple size derma rollers. You can find my microneedling progress thread in the Open Topic section.

Good Luck.

Edited by CosmoKramer
  • Like 1

Wow, I'd only ever read that 1x/week is all anyone had done safely.

What I ordered in 2015 on Amazon and have been using since is called: "3-In-1 Kit Derma Roller by Diva d'or - Titanium Micro Needle Roller - 180/600/1200 Needles - Best Skin DermaRoller for Body and Face - 0.5/1.0/1.5mm N"

My Hairloss Blog »

35 minutes ago, multiplier said:

Wow, I'd only ever read that 1x/week is all anyone had done safely.

What I ordered in 2015 on Amazon and have been using since is called: "3-In-1 Kit Derma Roller by Diva d'or - Titanium Micro Needle Roller - 180/600/1200 Needles - Best Skin DermaRoller for Body and Face - 0.5/1.0/1.5mm N"

Yeah, 1x a week is optimal if using 1.5mm or larger needle length and if you are microneedling hard aka wounding, but from what I’ve seen microneedling gently more often with a shorter needle length helps with better blood flow/circulation to the scalp and absorption.

i not a fan of derma rollers, used them in the past, I much prefer their derma pen or even a derma stamp.

16 minutes ago, hairman22 said:

maybe look into smp

Have actually done SMP here in NY for scars and the results are good. But I think it'd be weird if  patches were SMP and patches were obviously #1 bladed hair.

My Hairloss Blog »

1 minute ago, multiplier said:

Have actually done SMP here in NY for scars and the results are good. But I think it'd be weird if  patches were SMP and patches were obviously #1 bladed hair.

it probably wouldn't be obvious at all the smp done well would blend quite well id say

• Like 1

Sounds like I'm gonna take the plunge with a Dermapen after seeing folks' results. Happy to report back or compare notes if anyone's interested.

My Hairloss Blog »

23 hours ago, CosmoKramer said:

In your case I would suggest dermarolling gently nightly with a 0.5mm dermaroller (then after applying your topical)  I’ve seen some very good results from guys doing this method

can you link this info?

Link to what I did to grow my hair back without a transplant. 2 year update. 

I was speaking with a HT doctor who said about people who are microneedling: "Any type of chronic wounding will build up a lot of scar tissue overtime. These guys are likely seeing a temporary benefit, but I think they will actually accelerate and even worsen their hair loss in the long term." Anyone heard this?

My Hairloss Blog »

34 minutes ago, multiplier said:

I was speaking with a HT doctor who said about people who are microneedling: "Any type of chronic wounding will build up a lot of scar tissue overtime. These guys are likely seeing a temporary benefit, but I think they will actually accelerate and even worsen their hair loss in the long term." Anyone heard this?

Interesting, I never thought about it that way. I’d ask some dermatologists their opinion on it. I mean people claim minoxidil causes collagen loss but patients continue using it.

since you can’t use finasteride orally, have you tried topical? For a while hnw were offering rxs for topical finasteride gel in a special formula which was developed in Italy. It’s a bit pricey but people claim it works with little systemic absorption 

39 minutes ago, multiplier said:

I heard this same thing on the baldtruthtalk.. Spence said the same thing about scar tissue developing .. that’s why I limit dermarolling every other weekend and not use anything over 1mm.. ur skin needs time to heal after every treatment .. but my hairloss isn’t as severe As others so I don’t go as aggressive with these types of treatment until they are fda approved ..   

49 minutes ago, jj51702 said:

since you can’t use finasteride orally, have you tried topical?

I've been doing it every few nights, but it's expensive and I'm wary as some claim side effects. No idea whether to expect results.

My Hairloss Blog »

I'm wondering if you "cycle" it — do it 1x/week for 3 months, then take a month off, then cycle again — would be less harmful.

My Hairloss Blog »

8 hours ago, multiplier said:

I’m not sure what this HT doc told you is true when It comes to microneedling as it’s been proven that microneedling stimulates and creates collagen to fade and help get rid of scars, so he may just be trying to dissuade people since his business is HT’s. Also, you would have to use needles like 4-5+mm to really create any visible scars IMO.

Yeah, hard to know. It was a known and respected doctor who just warned it wasn't a great long term move. But I also don't know of any true controlled study that shows growth will reverse if scar tissue builds up from needling...?

My Hairloss Blog »