Considering small transplant, in Canada

Hello, I am currently living in northern Canada and really tempted to go through with this.

I'm 35, NW2.5, with slight diffuse thinning throughout, meds have slowed down my loss I think, been on fin for 1.5 years.  I do not want to lower my hairline, I would like to patch up the temples slightly and reinforce the existing hairline, taking me to about a NW1.5-1.75, so I can keep styling the way I want to.

Is it reasonable to expect I can do this for 10K and have the results last for about 5 years?  Any recommendation in Canada to get a small procedure like this?

I learned something about procedures in Canada recently.....There are rules and regulations.  Not sure if the government is involved, but someone is.  That's a good thing. 

$10K is $10K.  You should be able to accomplish something with that amount.  More so if you are considering FUT which it typically less costly.  I do have a couple of concerns.....

1. I assume you are considering 1 procedure and be done with it.  There are only a few doctors I am aware of that can give you "amazing" density in a single procedure.  Most will require multiple procedures to achieve density.  Keep in mind you are working in the most prominent area there is, the very front.
  2. Have you had any consultations so far?  This is important.  It is the time the doctor has to deem you as a candidate.  There is a lot of meaning to this.  Good donor, no medical issues to deal with, etc.  Further, he can confirm if there is thinning elsewhere.  This would be the time he would probably recommend some type of medical therapy to help you with retention of the native hair.  This is HUGE.  Imagine a patient....He is thinning.  (and if he's thinned, he will continue thinning).  Adds transplants and looks great.  Decided not to do any type of medical therapy....Goes on to lose the native stuff and now he is back where he started.  (Well, not really as we know the transplanted hair will remain, so he'll never be totally empty).  Now he'll have to consider a 2nd procedure as the goal remains the same. So, considering medical therapy is something you should be doing now.
  • Like 1

Yes I was thinking HW.  And yes I do not mind having to touch up in 10 years.

I know every case is different, but being 35, only minimal loss, and on meds without experiencing side effect, am I generally considered to be in the safe zone?

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/10/2019 at 8:00 PM, jj51702 said:

Pics?

Sorry late reply.  I would want my temples repaired and then minor density improvements to the hairline.  Temple's slightly worse on the other side and therefore causing my frontal wall of hair to collapse to one side, giving the appearance of a hiding balding man.  It has not gotten much worse in the last 1.5 years with fin.  I am ok with everything else, I usually use a little dermatch on the hairline but I need hair back in the temples for it to work there.

20190708_233200.jpg.a0fd1091abb0a94c15222ac9d1a6b7c6.jpg

• Administrators

You do not need a hair transplant. Save your money and get one when you actually have noticeable hair loss. Maybe in another 10 years, but definitely not now.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

On 9/2/2019 at 4:49 PM, Enhancer said:

Sorry late reply.  I would want my temples repaired and then minor density improvements to the hairline.  Temple's slightly worse on the other side and therefore causing my frontal wall of hair to collapse to one side, giving the appearance of a hiding balding man.  It has not gotten much worse in the last 1.5 years with fin.  I am ok with everything else, I usually use a little dermatch on the hairline but I need hair back in the temples for it to work there.

20190708_233200.jpg.a0fd1091abb0a94c15222ac9d1a6b7c6.jpg

Considering that you also have styling product in your hair (correct me if I’m wrong), I wouldn’t pursue a ht at this time. If you get one to fill in that area it will likely make little cosmetic impact to your overall look. Just my opinion

• 2 weeks later...

In my personal opinion, it's definitely minor, but you're stable on the medication, your hair loss isn't aggressive and you're not happy with how it looks right now (and assuming your donor area is at least average)...I'd say do with your donor area whatever you want to. You'll still have plenty of it for the future and if you'll enjoy your hair and your look better. 

My recommendation for this type of work is definitely Dr. Rahal.

On 9/3/2019 at 8:53 PM, Melvin-Moderator said:

You do not need a hair transplant. Save your money and get one when you actually have noticeable hair loss. Maybe in another 10 years, but definitely not now.

Noted.  I know the less times you need to go through this, the better.  I was more along the lines thinking that having the hairline shored up would save me a lot of time I currently need to style it.  And, I also have the density to have bangs to hide the transplant during the healing process, which is very important to me.  I might not have the bangs density 10 years from now.  I don't really want to get to the point where I will ever "need" a hair transplant.

I'm in no rush and I am not necessarily unhappy with the way I look now, I'm just trying to be proactive.  But you have me convinced, for now, and I will reassess in future years.

On 9/13/2019 at 5:20 AM, Dr. Bruno Ferreira said:

In my personal opinion, it's definitely minor, but you're stable on the medication, your hair loss isn't aggressive and you're not happy with how it looks right now (and assuming your donor area is at least average)...I'd say do with your donor area whatever you want to. You'll still have plenty of it for the future and if you'll enjoy your hair and your look better. 

My recommendation for this type of work is definitely Dr. Rahal.

I have also researched Rahal.  I hope there will not be a minimum amount of grafts or price like H&W, because as I stated above, I don't want my hair to get to a point where a large 2000+ procedure is required. I will consult with them in the future.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Enhancer said:

Noted.  I know the less times you need to go through this, the better.  I was more along the lines thinking that having the hairline shored up would save me a lot of time I currently need to style it.  And, I also have the density to have bangs to hide the transplant during the healing process, which is very important to me.  I might not have the bangs density 10 years from now.  I don't really want to get to the point where I will ever "need" a hair transplant.

I'm in no rush and I am not necessarily unhappy with the way I look now, I'm just trying to be proactive.  But you have me convinced, for now, and I will reassess in future years.

I have also researched Rahal.  I hope there will not be a minimum amount of grafts or price like H&W, because as I stated above, I don't want my hair to get to a point where a large 2000+ procedure is required. I will consult with them in the future.

Look this needs to be said. Hair transplant surgery is a major decision. It’s often downplayed, and it shouldn’t be. 

There is no surgery that is guaranteed. Look at the pros and cons

pros: Hairline slightly better, no one would notice except you, takes you slightly less time to get ready. 

Cons: multi’s in the hairline, artificial appearance, poor growth, scarring. All of which will be easily visible to the public.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Very minor work indeed.  But you have lots of hair in a zone you want work in.

imo too risky and can cause permanent shockloss depending in density planted in that zone.  

May be worthwhile to get an opinion from H&W. They are good at natural looking hairlines and seem to offer true lateral slit