Jump to content
MrZennie

What are the odds of a good result from a top clinic?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Does anyone know the exact odds of a good result? I'm talking about the odds you can expect at a high end, well respected clinic. What are the odds of a bad result?  I assume the work of the doctors/techs at the best places is excellent/consistent, and that the failed results come from the patient's genetics, or poor post-op care by the patient. 

And I'm sure the doctors all the know the answer to this, wondering if any of them will be willing to share?

Edited by MrZennie
grammar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

honestly (and this is just my opinion) the chance is probably 75-80% of a good+ result.

Edited by hairlossPA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, MrZennie said:

Does anyone know the exact odds of a good result? I'm talking about the odds you can expect at a high end, well respected clinic. What are the odds of a bad result?  I assume the work of the doctors/techs at the best places is excellent/consistent, and that the failed results come from the patient's genetics, or poor post-op care by the patient. 

And I'm sure the doctors all the know the answer to this, wondering if any of them will be willing to share?

There are no "exacts" in science.  Add to that all the factors involved in the day of the procedure.  The patient can get stuck in traffic, (this can happen to the doctor and the staff as well).  The banks are closed until typically 10:00 am and now the staff has to wait until the procedure is paid for...to then get going.  Why am I bringing this up?  So say a staff member did not show up.  That puts a lot of stress on the others to finish at a reasonable time.  They have to work faster which typically ends up in a rushed job.  If tempers flare, the patient ends up paying for it.  What if you did start at 10:00....On that particular day it's the birthday of the best tech they have and she is expected to leave early.  

You do bring up a good point.  Consistency.  Not often talked about but it's important.  But I don't care how good you are.  If you've had a few days of not doing cases, this does affect how good the clinical staff is.  This can happen when the doctor is out on vacation for 7-10 days, for example.

Failed procedures do happen.  I've seen it.  Sometimes it is due to conditions, other than a hereditary one, Like failing to provide the information in the medical history form.  Other times it is directly related to the doctor.  Perhaps the sites were done too deep or too shallow.  

To minimize this, a good clinic, as you've worded it, talks about this at the end of the procedure.  They discuss the minutia of what happened during the day.  If something seems out of wack, adjustments are made. This should be doctor driven....unfortunately it seldom happens.  By that time the staff is tired and all they want to do is go home. And the doctor can not afford to have staff upset at him...this is can also become an issue.

I don't care what the job is.  There is always drama.  Once in a while, however, you do find a gem out there.

Doctors, you are welcome to add your two cents, but I doubt if anyone can give you what the odds....Murphy's Law does apply here.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, LaserCap said:

There are no "exacts" in science.  Add to that all the factors involved in the day of the procedure.  The patient can get stuck in traffic, (this can happen to the doctor and the staff as well).  The banks are closed until typically 10:00 am and now the staff has to wait until the procedure is paid for...to then get going.  Why am I bringing this up?  So say a staff member did not show up.  That puts a lot of stress on the others to finish at a reasonable time.  They have to work faster which typically ends up in a rushed job.  If tempers flare, the patient ends up paying for it.  What if you did start at 10:00....On that particular day it's the birthday of the best tech they have and she is expected to leave early.  

You do bring up a good point.  Consistency.  Not often talked about but it's important.  But I don't care how good you are.  If you've had a few days of not doing cases, this does affect how good the clinical staff is.  This can happen when the doctor is out on vacation for 7-10 days, for example.

Failed procedures do happen.  I've seen it.  Sometimes it is due to conditions, other than a hereditary one, Like failing to provide the information in the medical history form.  Other times it is directly related to the doctor.  Perhaps the sites were done too deep or too shallow.  

To minimize this, a good clinic, as you've worded it, talks about this at the end of the procedure.  They discuss the minutia of what happened during the day.  If something seems out of wack, adjustments are made. This should be doctor driven....unfortunately it seldom happens.  By that time the staff is tired and all they want to do is go home. And the doctor can not afford to have staff upset at him...this is can also become an issue.

I don't care what the job is.  There is always drama.  Once in a while, however, you do find a gem out there.

Doctors, you are welcome to add your two cents, but I doubt if anyone can give you what the odds....Murphy's Law does apply here.

What a pessimistic view to portray to someone who is obviously new to the hair restoration world. Of course human beings will be the ones performing surgery. With that being the case there is inherently room for error. But to think that going to a top clinic is like gambling with grafts is not true. The top clinics get fantastic results consistently because their process and attention to detail has been perfected through thousands of cases. Top clinics are more expensive for a reason. Supply and demand. If they show consistent results they can charge more because the demand will be there. For example, Dr Konior has been known to work tirelessly to perfect his craft. Perfectionist personified. Do your research and pay for quality and you can rest assured you will get a great result.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ruca2 said:

What a pessimistic view to portray to someone who is obviously new to the hair restoration world. Of course human beings will be the ones performing surgery. With that being the case there is inherently room for error. But to think that going to a top clinic is like gambling with grafts is not true. The top clinics get fantastic results consistently because their process and attention to detail has been perfected through thousands of cases. Top clinics are more expensive for a reason. Supply and demand. If they show consistent results they can charge more because the demand will be there. For example, Dr Konior has been known to work tirelessly to perfect his craft. Perfectionist personified. Do your research and pay for quality and you can rest assured you will get a great result.  

Do your research and pay for quality ..sure good advice ...but I would say you have a good chance of getting a great result rather than  you can rest assured you will get a good result if you go with a top tier clinic, but what the actual percentage of a great result is unfortunately unknown . The advice Lasercap gave is actually sound and the OP has already shown intelligence by coming on here and asking such a question so many guys just believe the hype.  Another human variable which 2 well known hair transplant guys mention who have inside knowledge, is either a Doc or a tech being hung-over after being on the piss the weekend and not being in the best shape ha so don't have a transplant on a Monday is the moral of the story there.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

off the top of my head I would say a good result would be that most of the implanted hairs survive and grow, the hairline looks natural, and the donor area shows no signs of a hair transplant trimmed at 3 and above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

... And Mick50, I've been sober over 20 years and have a really good nose, and I actually had the thought that I would be really disappointed if I showed up for my procedure and smelled alcohol on the doctor's breath from the night before, or worse, from that morning. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do not provide medical advice, recommendations, all responses are my opinion.

My Hair Transplant Journey

Melvin- Editorial Assistant and Forum Co-Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media Instagram @thehairtransplantnetwork FacebookPintrest, Linkedin and YouTube.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree that there is no such thing as "exact odds" of a good result as much as we all would like that.

Still, not withstanding any other conflicting medical conditions or issues, the percentages of having a good result are very high IMHO...above 90% as long as the patient is a reasonably good candidate and the doctor and surgical team are skilled, experienced, and competent.


Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians:  Dr. Robert True & Dr. Robert Dorin, New York, NY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×