Beginning on the day after surgery, you may begin to wash your hair gently in the shower. Try not to let the water beat directly onto the recipient area where the grafts are for the first 4-5 days after surgery. You may want to have a cup in the shower to help rinse the graft sites.

Edited by ericjohnson1135
want to share some tips

I used a cup for about 2 months.  I also let my hair air dry for that long.

Edited by Dazed

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

Also make sure the water is room temp...not hot, not cold.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

As you may know I've had a total of 7 procedures.  3 FUT and the rest small FUE procedures.  I recall the first time.  I had a bandage and did look kind of funny going home.  I was told, use the cup.  But, after shampooing, it would take me HOURS to get the soap off.  So I just put my hand over the area, got under the shower so the water would land in the back of my hand and trickle down to the grafted area  Worked great and didn't have to stay in the shower for hours at the time.  Back then the recommendation was to do this for 7 days and then wash with the tips of the fingers to get the crusts off. That was FUT.  

With FUE, things were a lot easer, no sutures to remove.  That has not changed much.  

It is important you follow the instructions of the clinic.  Realize these outfits do a consistent number of procedures every month and adjust their post op instructions based on what they hear and observe from other patients.  And have them give you the instructions in writing.  Most of the time patients leave still under the effect of the local and will not remember anything the clinical staff told them.  

Some clinics have their post-op instructions posted at their respective web sites as well.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY