What is the total number of possible graphs from FUE?

I had my first ever HT consultation yesterday!  The Dr. recommended FUE and predicted that I'll need about 3000 graphs for the job.  Afterward, I'll have 1000-1500 left for a future procedure.  They told me I had a "better than average" donor region, but 4000-4500 total graphs doesn't sound as good as others I've heard.  Thoughts? 

That doesn’t sound like an “above average” number of grafts to me either. I’d ask how they come up with those numbers. Donor capacity is a tricky subject and I don’t think there’s an exact way to measure it because there’s so many variables. The closest thing I’ve seen in terms of a tool to calculate donor capacity is dr erdogans coverage calculator tool. A few doctors use it as well but other than that I think it’s kind of a guess on most doctors part.

You're right, I should have asked how he came up with that number.  They used a magnifier on my scalp, and we were all looking at my magnified hairs on a monitor.  They pointed to a couple of 2's and 3's and said "that's good" and when I asked if my donor region is average or better than average, the Dr. said "better than average".  But the hairs looked pretty spaced apart, though I have no way of knowing what's normal.  Maybe my graphs themselves are better than average, but total number is not so good? I was hoping for something like 5000+ total possible graphs.  I'm definitely prepared with questions for my next consultation! 

The number is going to vary between individuals based on donor density, dimensions of the donor zones, and obviously the skill of the surgeon especially if performing manual FUE.

• Like 3

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Thanks for your replies everyone.  I'll definitely ask my future consultations the same question.  "

"for most patients with no prior procedure with what we consider “good” donor (around 80 follicular units/cm2) we can safely extract between 7000-9000 FUE grafts."

7000-9000 total FUE graphs sounds like enough for virtually any job!

Edited by MrZennie

12 hours ago, jj51702 said:

How does this help answer the OPs question?

Well it helps show that my estimated donor supply of 4000-4500 is probably not "better than average". I am 49 though so maybe at my age it's a reasonable amount?

And it's also imperative to have donor availability evaluations between each of the procedures as the number of available "harvestable" grafts can vary, sometimes significantly.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Not that anyone will care but...I got another consultation today and the Dr. said I had easily 6000-8000 available graphs!  That's a lot better than 4000-4500!  I'm so happy/relieved.  He also said my donor region was "better than average", so I'm pretty sure the last doctor misunderstood my question, he probably thought I was asking how many graphs I needed for a complete job.  

On 8/10/2019 at 3:18 AM, jj51702 said:

How does this help answer the OPs question?

Why are you such a jerk.  Why don't you crawl off somewhere since you obviously believe that you are better than everybody else here.  I exactly responded to the OP with what I considered the minimum available grafts.  Instead of constantly attacking me why don't you grow up.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

• Administrators

@jj51702 

I don’t know what your issue is with Dazed, but I expect you to treat everyone with respect. Now let’s move on from this. 

Onwards and upwards 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.