Hair maturing process

Does anyone know how many months each single hair takes from the moment it pops through the skin as a vellus hair, and then into a mature full, thick terminal hair??

I realize its probably different for everyone, but whats the approximate range?? 

Are we talking 1 month, 2 months, 3, or closer to 6 months??

I would say a year, but I wait to hear other responses.  I am at 11 months since my last transplant.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

40 minutes ago, Dazed said:

I would say a year, but I wait to hear other responses.  I am at 11 months since my last transplant.

When your hairs first pop through the skin are they barely visible to you as well??

For mine I practically need a magnifying glass or microscope! 😲

Edited by Westview

7 hours ago, Westview said:

When your hairs first pop through the skin are they barely visible to you as well??

For mine I practically need a magnifying glass or microscope! 😲

Frankly, I did not pay that close attention.  I really didn't notice it until about 4 months.  I am not one of the microscope guys.  My feeling was that it would either work or not, and I got lucky both times without all the constant worry.  Right now my biggest concern is how to comb it.  I haven't cut my hair in 11 months and I want to go 2 years to see what it looks like.

Edited by Dazed

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

It depends.  PRP, no PRP, medical therapy, none, etc..... But.....

Sometimes the hair will start growing from day one, (from day of transplant). This only means you are about 4 months ahead of everyone else.  

Most believe the hair will start growing at about 3 months.  The problem is that most people can't even detect it because it's so fine...and it's blending with the native hair, provided the patient has any.  At about 6 months, mostly because of the length, patients can start to appreciate a change. 1 year is typically the time it takes to mature.  But there are rare cases in which there can be improvement up to about 18 months.  So, if I was a betting man, I would say 2 years.

If you add PRP to the equation, you could see full growth in less than 1 year.  Laser and other modalities? Perhaps a bit less.

Lots of doctors and clinics recommend waiting a year to see final results. Some even claim patients should wait roughly 18 months for full maturation and for the hairs to lose their “kink” and act like your native hair. Not sure if this answers your question totally.

17 hours ago, LaserCap said:

It depends.  PRP, no PRP, medical therapy, none, etc..... But.....

Sometimes the hair will start growing from day one, (from day of transplant). This only means you are about 4 months ahead of everyone else.  

Most believe the hair will start growing at about 3 months.  The problem is that most people can't even detect it because it's so fine...and it's blending with the native hair, provided the patient has any

Yeah, thats exactly the way its going with me, its blending in with my native hair and I can barely see it.  Its so frustratingly slow though.

Also, some sections of my scalp seem to grow in more than other sections.  Its really weird.  My left side seems to be growing faster than my right side

Edited by Westview

That's normal.  

This also tends to happen during the losing period. One side may be emptier than the other.  In cases like this it is best to work both corners at the same time because everyone knows the other side will eventually catch up.  Believe it or not many doctors, because the patient asks for it, will only work on the one side....this is very frustrating and somewhat naive...the patient will eventually have to return to hit the other side.

• Like 1

It depends on the region of the scalp. In the frontal hairline region, you can expect new hairs to start popping through around 3-4 months, start to get visible and longer around 5, and then pretty decent transformation with the caveat that they are still thinner shafts with extra "frizz" by month 6; month 6 through 9 they continue to thick and normalize, and then typically between month 9-12 the texture really starts to calm down and they mostly resemble the native hairs. Anywhere behind the "frontal band" region really can take longer to mature. And if this is the crown? Definitely give it 18 months to cook. Of course you always have to keep in mind that all patients are different. People mature at different rates and everything is "all good" as long as the end result is good. It may take some people a little bit longer to cross that finish line, but it's finishing strong that counts. 

• Like 2

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

In most cases, it starts from 4-6 month timeline but thickening, growing in length might take upto 18 months

Its actually tough for all baby hairs to grow upto 6-8 inches so early... it requires a lot of hard work and patience. 

Keep in mind - Doctors play 70% of the part, 30% is to be played by each patient. 

• Like 1