How to conceal FUE hair transplant at work?

I am NW3, but no one knows I have hair loss issue, because I am able to easily cover bald spots with long hair. Probably I will have to shave all of it in order to undergo the procedure. I work in a warehouse and I will have 3-4 weeks off, then I need to come back to work and I don't want anyone to find out what I did.

I am worried that I will still have redness at my donor area and I don't want to show my temples to the world (it will be ugly ducking phase). Hair will not be long enough to cover it.

What are your ideas besides wearing a hat?

• rotrichrich changed the title to How to conceal FUE hair transplant at work?

I would go ahead and do a buzz.  With 3-4 weeks off you should have no problems.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

2 minutes ago, Aftermath said:

That video is best case scenario, you can only hope to look like that at 4 weeks

Yeah, that's why I am trying to get some ideas of what could be done in order to hide it. Seems like it's just not possible.

2 minutes ago, rotrichrich said:

Yeah, that's why I am trying to get some ideas of what could be done in order to hide it. Seems like it's just not possible.

People will see it if you’re not wearing a hat.

my beat advice would be saying that you shaved your head before going on vacation and because you’ve never done it before, putting SPF on your scalp hadn’t crossed your mind, you put it in other places, face etc and ended up severely burning your scalp, it blistered up, some hair fell out etc

33 minutes ago, rotrichrich said:

Thanks for suggestions, but after 4 weeks it will be apparent I did hair transplant. Look at this for example (especially donor area): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSVWUPQtSA8

I did not have the redness as seen in the video.  Everybody is different, and they treat their grafts and donor area different.  I babied mine, but many are too eager to scrub the area.  I did not buzz my head as I suggest.  The worst part for me was the horrible haircut from not buzzing.  I never wear short hair.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

4 minutes ago, Aftermath said:

People will see it if you’re not wearing a hat.

my beat advice would be saying that you shaved your head before going on vacation and because you’ve never done it before, putting SPF on your scalp hadn’t crossed your mind, you put it in other places, face etc and ended up severely burning your scalp, it blistered up, some hair fell out etc

Hehe, I don't like making up too much stories. ;) 

8 minutes ago, hairman22 said:

buzz your hair a few weeks before the transplant

I thought about shaving my head completely a month before op (never shaved my head before). The problem then will be donor area.

5 minutes ago, Dazed said:

I did not have the redness as seen in the video.  Everybody is different, and they treat their grafts and donor area different.  I babied mine, but many are too eager to scrub the area.  I did not buzz my head as I suggest.  The worst part for me was the horrible haircut from not buzzing.  I never wear short hair.

I assume my donor will not heal that quickly.

2 minutes ago, rotrichrich said:

Hehe, I don't like making up too much stories. ;) 

I thought about shaving my head completely a month before op (never shaved my head before). The problem then will be donor area.

I assume my donor will not heal that quickly.

That actually did happen to me, minus the hairloss, I looked like a matchstick for a while 

I've tried all these methods, trust me whenever you really need to go out ( work, meet ups, socialize ) only then go out, otherwise stay private for first few months (as this ugly phase bothers most of us )

Now, when you do go out - wear a baseball or other styles of caps or hats. Its summer time and also prevents strong sunlight exposure for your sensitive post HT scalp.

rarely after 2-3 months post HT, use dermmatch and sprinkle some fiber ( only for those occasions where you can't wear a cap ) but wash it right after, dont let it sit there for long time 

but #1 thing to keep in mind - stay at home, stay private for first few months as much as possible , watch netflix, exercise, eat healthy, music, lots of do :)  lol

#2 wear a cap - sorry, there is no better solution than a cap....... I TRIED EVERYTHING BUT THAT WEIRD REDNESS could be only covered by wearing a cap. PERIOD 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, HLPToronto said:

I've tried all these methods, trust me whenever you really need to go out ( work, meet ups, socialize ) only then go out, otherwise stay private for first few months (as this ugly phase bothers most of us )

Now, when you do go out - wear a baseball or other styles of caps or hats. Its summer time and also prevents strong sunlight exposure for your sensitive post HT scalp.

rarely after 2-3 months post HT, use dermmatch and sprinkle some fiber ( only for those occasions where you can't wear a cap ) but wash it right after, dont let it sit there for long time 

but #1 thing to keep in mind - stay at home, stay private for first few months as much as possible , watch netflix, exercise, eat healthy, music, lots of do :)  lol

#2 wear a cap - sorry, there is no better solution than a cap....... I TRIED EVERYTHING BUT THAT WEIRD REDNESS could be only covered by wearing a cap. PERIOD 

Thanks for your suggestions man. However I can't stay at home for longer than a month for 2 reasons:

- I need to pay bills

- I am not a cockroach

I hate staying at home for a longer period, it makes me feel sad and stuff.

I forgot to mention that I am planning to undergo procedure sometime in the winter, so it's more common to wear a cap.

I am thinking of one thing now - to just leave the work.

• Haha 1

What's the reason to do a procedure? To look better, more confidence, etc....People understand these things.  If you are worried about people will say or do, I wonder if they've done something already or made fun...So what? 

Unless you are doing FUE, there will be no shaving.  The doctor prefers long hair so he can see the angle and direction it takes. And, if you are doing FUE, it will be a high and tight haircut which a lot of young guys are doing now-a-days.

You know what I would do?  I would tell everyone you are getting this done. And, if you hear anything with regards to it, you'll unleash the wrath, (just kidding). But being up front may take care of things.

• Administrators

Shave your head for a month before and wear a hat. When people ask why the hat lift it off and say you got a bad haircut. This will get them used to you wearing a hat. After that no one will ask you anymore. 

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

2 hours ago, LaserCap said:

What's the reason to do a procedure? To look better, more confidence, etc....People understand these things.  If you are worried about people will say or do, I wonder if they've done something already or made fun...So what? 

Unless you are doing FUE, there will be no shaving.  The doctor prefers long hair so he can see the angle and direction it takes. And, if you are doing FUE, it will be a high and tight haircut which a lot of young guys are doing now-a-days.

You know what I would do?  I would tell everyone you are getting this done. And, if you hear anything with regards to it, you'll unleash the wrath, (just kidding). But being up front may take care of things.

I am worried about other people finding it out because it just doesn't suit my behaviour and absolutely no one knows I am NW3. I feel awkward doing this procedure, but it is the only way that I could feel happy and confident. 10 years no one has seen my temples and thank god it never gone worse, but I am so sick and tired of hiding it. It would be a very big "WTF" for other people and there's a lot of them. And yes, I am planning on doing an FUE.

Being up front about it may really be a good idea, it will be tough though.

52 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Shave your head for a month before and wear a hat. When people ask why the hat lift it off and say you got a bad haircut. This will get them used to you wearing a hat. After that no one will ask you anymore. 

It's either a hat or being up front. Thanks people.

bite the bullet - there are no real good ways to conceal a bald head. people will look at you once, think something is off, and then go back to worrying about their own life and problems. believe me when I tell you that we are our own worst enemies when we think people are obsessing over how we look - they're not. we are self-conscious beings, but others don't really care. so as Melvin commented, cut your hair short or buzzed before you have your procedure so you and others get used to it, and wear a baseball cap as much as you can. you're going to be going thru a transformation that takes time, so there is no easy quick fix, but it is well worth it, good luck

Edited by home1212

Believe me if I could fool Bernie (a woman at work that sees minute details) you can pull it off with 3-4 weeks to work with.

• Moderators

Are you just trying to fill in mostly the corners and maybe slightly lower the hairline? If you are already keeping your hair long and combed forward to cover that area then you should be able to keep the long hair on top and continue to cover the transplanted area just as you covered that area before the transplant. Take a look at Legends thread and see how he handled it.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

7 hours ago, BeHappy said:

Are you just trying to fill in mostly the corners and maybe slightly lower the hairline? If you are already keeping your hair long and combed forward to cover that area then you should be able to keep the long hair on top and continue to cover the transplanted area just as you covered that area before the transplant. Take a look at Legends thread and see how he handled it.

Thanks man for this. I do not need to lower hairline, I just want to fill-in temples. However, the doctor that I am interested in (Erkan Demirsoy) wants the head to be shaven, apparently for best quality. I haven't contacted him yet, this info is from the research I did. He may do exception.

I can't grow hair like this guy Legends, I would have to wear a military style (back and sides shaved with much longer bangs), the problem is then the donor area. After a month it will still be visible I guess.

It completely depends as everyone has different healing characteristics. I had minimal redness so come 2-3 weeks just looked like i had a short buzz cut..  Then either keep it short till growth kicks in or use some nano fibres to get you through the first few months

I found the 'ugly ducking' phase nowhere near as difficult as some..  Take 3-4 weeks off work..  After a Good month you will just look like you had a buzz cut...  You won't really know how you will look though until post op as everyone is different.  For those with Fair skinned redness tends to stick around for quite a while which can be unfortunate..     In those cases Short term pain and all that..  However in my case no-one at work ever suspected anything or said anything .. Just thought i had buzzed down which is normal in summer etc..

Edited by BaldingBogger

On 8/6/2019 at 7:15 PM, rotrichrich said:

Thanks man for this. I do not need to lower hairline, I just want to fill-in temples. However, the doctor that I am interested in (Erkan Demirsoy) wants the head to be shaven, apparently for best quality. I haven't contacted him yet, this info is from the research I did. He may do exception.

I can't grow hair like this guy Legends, I would have to wear a military style (back and sides shaved with much longer bangs), the problem is then the donor area. After a month it will still be visible I guess.

My thoughts are:

Redness massively depends on AGE and SKIN TYPE, the younger you are the longer redness lingers.

My donor area looked perfect after a few weeks, I went to Demirsoy and his post surgery transplants look very clean and uniform. I shaved it to a zero at the start of the week and it looks normal, I can't even see any scaring after 4000 grafts. My recipient however is still red at almost 6 weeks. If you're older and dark skinned then I've seen people's recipients look fine after a few of weeks.

On 8/7/2019 at 8:34 PM, s14a said:

My thoughts are:

Redness massively depends on AGE and SKIN TYPE, the younger you are the longer redness lingers.

My donor area looked perfect after a few weeks, I went to Demirsoy and his post surgery transplants look very clean and uniform. I shaved it to a zero at the start of the week and it looks normal, I can't even see any scaring after 4000 grafts. My recipient however is still red at almost 6 weeks. If you're older and dark skinned then I've seen people's recipients look fine after a few of weeks.

It's really cool that you can't see scaring after 4000 grafts, I have seen his work and it really looks clean, can't wait for my turn, but I am so anxious about going to Turkey and doing this procedure... How short do you cut your hair at the back and sides?

I just wonder - when the hair grows back a little after the procedure - would using hair fibers on donor area work? I have never used them before and I haven't seen any people using it on that area.

3 hours ago, rotrichrich said:

It's really cool that you can't see scaring after 4000 grafts, I have seen his work and it really looks clean, can't wait for my turn, but I am so anxious about going to Turkey and doing this procedure... How short do you cut your hair at the back and sides?

I just wonder - when the hair grows back a little after the procedure - would using hair fibers on donor area work? I have never used them before and I haven't seen any people using it on that area.

Pre transplant I had longish hair on top (4inches aprx) and sides shaved down to a 0 or 0.5 faded up to about about a 2 by the ears then blended up.

I had planned to conceal mine with fibres at 9 weeks, not sure if I will now, I think I will for once sport a shaved head/cut very short on top until month 4/5. I had a lot of success with fibres before the transplant, people would not have known I had any thinning due to how I styled the long hair. Over the summer I've been shaving it to a 0 on the sides because I've mainly been wearing hats and not been in public so much so I thought why not.

3 hours ago, rotrichrich said:

No need to be anxious about Turkey, you won't be by yourself unless you venture outside of the hotel. Muzaffer drove me around and helped me out with any requests.