Cutis verticis gyrata and unusual hair loss?

Let me preface this by stating that I am 20 and have noticed ridges on my scalp since about 15 or 14. Every year they have gotten more prominent little by little (at least i think) and within the last year or so i have noticed bald patches on the ridges (only on one side though, interestingly). I was wondering if any members on this board with CVG has experienced the same hair loss patterns and if they have taken any measures to correct the CVG and related hair loss somehow. My case is mild compared to some pictures I've seen but this is causing me a lot of stress regardless.

I have CVG and hair loss happens faster I think in areas that were going to lose anyway.  It is stressful to have. 

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

• Moderators

If you have CVG and are going to have a hair transplant, I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to try having one or two scalp reductions first to eliminate the ridges before transplanting over the area. It's one of the few times I think scalp reductions may still make sense to do.  I don't how successful that would be in eliminating the ridges as I've never had CVG, but I imagine it would work.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...