Shaving my head after FUT transplant

I had a miserable failure of a transplant and now I am probably going to have shave my head in 10 years or so. What's the best way of doing that? Should I do a razor shave or shave it with a 0 or 1 trimmer?

What will make the scar look less noticeable? Is it worth it to get SMP? can the SMP make it look non noticeable even with a razor shave?

How often do you have to get SMP touchups?

53 minutes ago, Aftermath said:

If you razor shave I’m guessing SMP would be horrible since it’s look like you have a linear line of “stubble” with no hair surrounding it

they can't SMP just the normal skin?

Would a razor shave with a FUT scar look fine since it's just skin anyways?

Just now, MAngel88 said:

they can't SMP just the normal skin?

Would a razor shave with a FUT scar look fine since it's just skin anyways?

I don’t get what you mean? You want to do SMP into the scar to colour it like normal skin or you want to SMP both the scar and the surrounding skin? 

I think the likelihood is that you’d see the scar to some degree if you shave your head, but how much depends on the individual. Joe rogan for example has a clean shaven head after a FUT and I can’t say I’ve ever really noticed it 

Just now, Aftermath said:

I don’t get what you mean? You want to do SMP into the scar to colour it like normal skin or you want to SMP both the scar and the surrounding skin? 

I think the likelihood is that you’d see the scar to some degree if you shave your head, but how much depends on the individual. Joe rogan for example has a clean shaven head after a FUT and I can’t say I’ve ever really noticed it 

Do you think a clean shaven head with FUT scar is better than a 0 or a 1?

2 minutes ago, MAngel88 said:

Do you think a clean shaven head with FUT scar is better than a 0 or a 1?

Again it’s a case to case thing, depends on width of the scar, how much native hair is there, head shape etc. There wouldn’t be a universal answer here. Google images of FUT scars and it should give you a better idea 

It appears that you have eliminated all options except giving up.  Have you got the opinion of a doctor who may be able to revise your previous surgery.  You also did not say what was so bad about your 1st surgery.  You have taken a very negative approach, are you so positive that it is warranted?

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

11 hours ago, Dazed said:

It appears that you have eliminated all options except giving up.  Have you got the opinion of a doctor who may be able to revise your previous surgery.  You also did not say what was so bad about your 1st surgery.  You have taken a very negative approach, are you so positive that it is warranted?

i'm not going back under the knife

I've seen met 3 persons who had FUT who were sitting in front of my while I was doing something (in the bank or waiting in a line etc) and all 3 didn't look bad at all with a short hair cut.

I noticed the linear scar, but I didn't feel it is bad at all. Actually, I've approached one of them and he didn't have a problem with the situation at all. 

So you had a bad transplant, what exactly happened? Can you provide photos?

Many people, particularly those with al large balding pattern and little to no donor are opting for SMP.  I think they do it mainly to create a sense of a hairline.  This helps to frame a face and it actually looks good. In your case however, it is to address what you feel is a mistake.  Consider, SMP is an organic pigment the body metabolizes.  Eventually you'll have to do it again to keep the effect.  When there is hair, it helps to minimize the contrast between dark hair and light scalp.  It can also help camouflage a scar.  I am afraid, however, if you plan on shaving, this will look more like a collage than what you are truly trying to accomplish.

The fact that others are OK with the scars they have, that really does not mean that you will.  It all depends to the width, length etc.  I am sure someone with a smiley face in the back of the head all across the back would have a few choice words to say in comparison to the individual that perhaps had 200 grafts a a very small linear scar.

If your scar is long and wide, you can have the doctor re-excise.  The problem here is the doctor has little to do with the way you heal.  This is a function of wound healing. You could improve, be about the same, or be worse.  Keep in mind, by definition, there will be less elasticity if you choose to go this route.

There is one doctor I am aware does possibly the best SMP I've seen so far.  They'll do it 3 times.  The 2nd and 3rd times are to enhance the SMP.  They do guarantee the work for an entire year.

17 hours ago, LaserCap said:

So you had a bad transplant, what exactly happened? Can you provide photos?

Many people, particularly those with al large balding pattern and little to no donor are opting for SMP.  I think they do it mainly to create a sense of a hairline.  This helps to frame a face and it actually looks good. In your case however, it is to address what you feel is a mistake.  Consider, SMP is an organic pigment the body metabolizes.  Eventually you'll have to do it again to keep the effect.  When there is hair, it helps to minimize the contrast between dark hair and light scalp.  It can also help camouflage a scar.  I am afraid, however, if you plan on shaving, this will look more like a collage than what you are truly trying to accomplish.

The fact that others are OK with the scars they have, that really does not mean that you will.  It all depends to the width, length etc.  I am sure someone with a smiley face in the back of the head all across the back would have a few choice words to say in comparison to the individual that perhaps had 200 grafts a a very small linear scar.

If your scar is long and wide, you can have the doctor re-excise.  The problem here is the doctor has little to do with the way you heal.  This is a function of wound healing. You could improve, be about the same, or be worse.  Keep in mind, by definition, there will be less elasticity if you choose to go this route.

There is one doctor I am aware does possibly the best SMP I've seen so far.  They'll do it 3 times.  The 2nd and 3rd times are to enhance the SMP.  They do guarantee the work for an entire year.

whos does the best smp in your opinon and whats the best kind of ink to use

Edited by det9925

I think most guys will find that a short buzz cut looks better than a razor cut and depending on the appearance of the scar, they may need to go with a number 3 guide to completely hide the scar...possibly a number 2 if the scar is real thin and not red.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY