Questions regarding miniaturisation after transplant

Hi, I’m having issues where I can’t seem to find any answers to and it’s driving me insane, last September I had a hair transplant on my thinning hairline, progress was great and at the 5-6 month mark I was feeling happy and the hair was thick and I was on track for an awesome result, I remember thinking to myself that if my result remains the same at the 5-6 month mark I’d be super content and was extremely happy thinking that it’s only going to get better.

Fast forward now sitting at almost the 11th month mark my hair has progressively gotten thinner in the transplanted areas, a lot of the thick hair has now become miniaturised which is very concerning to me. My left temple started to become thinner filled by the centre and now the right side is catching up to them.

For the first 6 months I was using rogaine and finasteride as I was told to do by the surgeon, my question is would me stopping them have anything to do with the thinning? From everything I have read on forums and YouTube I was under the impression that transplanted hairs shouldn’t miniaturise and not need any medication to remain thick. 

Could somebody please  give me some sort of direction as I’m really stuck and it’s depressing me, do I start finasteride and minoxidil again or do I have another issue that’s destroying my follicles that are apparently not affected by dht.

thanks in advance 

Hi

First-off, it would benefit you to post some photos of your concern to get some sound input from members here.

Second, did you have a lot of native hair still in your frontal area? If so, that is the hair that has very likely fallen out as I can’t see why transplanted hairs would be lost at 11 months unless they were harvested outside of your safe donor zone area.

• Administrators

Hard to tell from the pictures. Looks like different lighting tbh.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

The lighting is slightly different but I know for a definite fact that it’s gone thinner, at the 6 month mark I could easily style my hair and it was bouncy, now it’s limp and patchy. Should I get back on fin and minoxidil? Could this be my transplant result and the fin and minoxidil just made my native and transplanted hair thicker and fuller? The only thing I don’t understand is why I now have miniaturisation in my transplanted areas, I thought it’s meant to remain the same regardless of medication. I’m so confused and not knowing what to do 

you really need to use minox 

It makes each strand Thicker so the result will look denser becuase a HT cannot beat native hair density even though hair won't fall

And fin will keep the native hair behind 

You stopped so here's the result 

Dont stop get back on fin minox and soon you will see how much it gets better 

Also a few supplements will help hair thickness 

MSM

Chondroitin sulfate 

Biotin 

I take a combo of these 3 and it helps with hair shaft diameter and shedding 

Edited by elduterino