Microneedling *May 2019* Progress

Thought I’d create a separate thread from my HT thread to document my Microneedling progress, for those that might be interested.

So, I decided to get back on the microneedling train (used a dermaroller a few years ago not consistently, saw slight improvement but stopped after a few months), since I already hit the 1-year post HT mark, to see if I could improve density and growth in my midscalp and crown area where I received limited grafts.

This time around I decided to purchase and use a derma pen.

I started microneedling with the pen around Mid-May this year, once a week, needles set at 1.5mm, at night, didn’t shampoo hair for 24-hours just cold water. After about a month I decided to add Kirkland minoxidil 5% liquid 212-24 hours after a microneedling session but I hated the use and mess of the liquid so I switched to the Kirkland Minox Foam a few weeks ago.

I’ll try and post photos in progress date order.

Definite improvement. At this point you have distinct coverage, however sparse. It's tougher to track the improvement in areas where you've already got a bit of hair, but in a situation like this you can't help but notice right away.

I keep thinking that I want to start adding 0.5 a couple of times a week in addition to my weekly 2mm session but I have yet to follow through...

I should really get on that. I am at the point where there are a couple of spots that really just need a LITTLE extra push to get to a place where I would be more comfortable. I'm also hoping my second PRP treatment will work together with my refined microneedling to get me where I'm trying to be. Following your progress.

Edited by Mycroft
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, MarshallUK said:

Looking good already,  I was considering doing this also but I am a bit lazy haha. Keep us updated 

Thanks man!

I definitely think it’s worth a good consistent go if you feel you have some lacking areas, but I get that some probably don’t want another hair routine to add haha.

Will try and update as I see progress.

7 hours ago, Mycroft said:

Definite improvement. At this point you have distinct coverage, however sparse. It's tougher to track the improvement in areas where you've already got a bit of hair, but in a situation like this you can't help but notice right away.

I keep thinking that I want to start adding 0.5 a couple of times a week in addition to my weekly 2mm session but I have yet to follow through...

I should really get on that. I am at the point where there are a couple of spots that really just need a LITTLE extra push to get to a place where I would be more comfortable. I'm also hoping my second PRP treatment will work together with my refined microneedling to get me where I'm trying to be. Following your progress.

Thanks! Yeah, I was a bit skeptical at first even with still having some miniaturizing hairs but after they shed and when I began microneedling, for such a short time frame I think it’s filling in well so far.

I think anything that helps increase circulation to the scalp safely is worth a shot, haven’t tried PRP as I have yet to see any compelling results but in combination with microneedling it might help.

You should make a post of your PRP & microneedling progress, would be interesting to see. 

4 hours ago, CosmoKramer said:

Thanks! Yeah, I was a bit skeptical at first even with still having some miniaturizing hairs but after they shed and when I began microneedling, for such a short time frame I think it’s filling in well so far.

I think anything that helps increase circulation to the scalp safely is worth a shot, haven’t tried PRP as I have yet to see any compelling results but in combination with microneedling it might help.

You should make a post of your PRP & microneedling progress, would be interesting to see. 

I've got a thread over here with some clinic photos and inside there's a link to another thread where I have some low quality photos I took myself. Not the best documentation but I was going through quite a few life changes at the time. You can see there is a good chunk of regrowth for me in areas that were pretty sparse as well as strengthening of hair in areas where it was was copious but feeling kind of thin.

Since these pictures I've continued to see additional growth in spots of the hairline that look a little gappy in these photos as well as new little sprouts in lower spots on the hairline. Left corner is still lagging behind a bit but you can see it was starting from a worse spot. Not everyone is a good PRP responder but in my case it seems to have worked. I'm a firm believer that microneedling has good synergy with it as well, since you're basically pumping your scalp full of growth factors, which you help activate by... microneedling!

• Like 1

On 7/23/2019 at 6:07 AM, Mycroft said:

I've got a thread over here with some clinic photos and inside there's a link to another thread where I have some low quality photos I took myself. Not the best documentation but I was going through quite a few life changes at the time. You can see there is a good chunk of regrowth for me in areas that were pretty sparse as well as strengthening of hair in areas where it was was copious but feeling kind of thin.

Since these pictures I've continued to see additional growth in spots of the hairline that look a little gappy in these photos as well as new little sprouts in lower spots on the hairline. Left corner is still lagging behind a bit but you can see it was starting from a worse spot. Not everyone is a good PRP responder but in my case it seems to have worked. I'm a firm believer that microneedling has good synergy with it as well, since you're basically pumping your scalp full of growth factors, which you help activate by... microneedling!

Great progress, it seems to be helping you a lot! Congrats!

I definitely agree with your comment on synergy an utilizating methods that can assist in better growth and density working better together!

15 hours ago, CosmoKramer said:

Great progress, it seems to be helping you a lot! Congrats!

I definitely agree with your comment on synergy an utilizating methods that can assist in better growth and density working better together!

Thanks. I'm feeling pretty good about it so far. I'm really hoping I might be able to avoid a transplant or at least postpone one for a good while, but it's a bit of tougher trying to be patient while you grow in the hairline area because it's so visible. I'm also constantly trying to figure out whether newly grown hairs are stuck in miniaturized form or if they will eventually grow out and thicken up. They're all growing at different times and rates so it's impossible to tell until months down the line. Even then, I've only been on a good needling regimen for five months.

I'm glad you're taking such clear pictures because I really wish there was more data on the timeline for growth with this method. Right now I'm guessing reasonable expectation is even longer than a transplant since we're essentially trying to stimulate growth in dormant follicles that are less than healthy.

• Like 1

Yeah, 5 months is not long enough so keep it at.

Thanks! I try and take honest photos to show an accurate state. I agree, microneedling will take much more time than progress and growth from an HT but every follicle has their own cycle and timeframe so it’s anyones guess but I’m optimistic.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Wow how did i miss this thread, definitely gonna follow your progress I see a big improvement already.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

And from today, my temple/temple peaks progress, 2 months & 1 week in.

1st Photo is of my right temple area, seeing very good new growth (and new hairs are dark, my original hair color)

2nd Photo is my left temple area, decent growth there as well.

Only annoying thing is the scalp flaking from Minoxidil foam but otherwise I’m very optimistic.

Edit: My left temple area is a bit more sensitive pain-wise as I go a little harder with the microneedling on my right.

EDD6824C-D5B3-4CC5-8E5B-E8968F44A2A4.jpeg

271E63B6-85D5-4742-B235-6BCA24118B7F.jpeg

Edited by CosmoKramer

13 hours ago, Shifty said:

the crown has really visible results, keep updating and good luck!

Thanks buddy!

Yeah, it’s definitely improved and filled-in some from this routine and actually feels like it’s added slight density within my transplanted hairs, never had this kind of improvement from Minoxidil alone years ago when I was usinging it tbh.

Quick update at a little over 2.5 months of my microneedling routine, seeing some nice improvement in my midscalp and crown. Took a couple of top view photos right near a window with some good bright daylight for lighting.

875CC418-7E74-4B00-9F2A-3E2E09EACA36.jpeg

04139DD3-E490-468B-84E5-2EDB2F73F11D.jpeg

Definitely a visual improvement, and the new hair is blending in well with the transplants. I can't see a distinct difference in hair qualitt and strength compared to your transplanted hair, which is great. Even if it's still less mature and not as strong, you can't tell that by just looking at it, and it's likely to strengthen over time just like anything else.

Which Dr. Pen head are you using? I've seen some with 12 which is what I'm doing on my Derminator, but I've also seen a 36 pin attachment as well. Just curious.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

Definitely a visual improvement, and the new hair is blending in well with the transplants. I can't see a distinct difference in hair qualitt and strength compared to your transplanted hair, which is great. Even if it's still less mature and not as strong, you can't tell that by just looking at it, and it's likely to strengthen over time just like anything else.

Which Dr. Pen head are you using? I've seen some with 12 which is what I'm doing on my Derminator, but I've also seen a 36 pin attachment as well. Just curious.

Thanks!

Yeah, your points are exactly what I’m thinking, hair quality seems to be improving and blending in and over time will get better and hopefully stronger.

I purchased the Dr Pen Ultima A6, it’s a bit pricey but so is the Derminator I saw online. The Dr Pen came with 2-needle cartridges and I purchased 10 more separately, all are the 12-needle per cartridge variety, from what I’ve seen that seems the norm for scalp microneedling as the others with more needles are for other skin areas like face etc. I think the 12-needle cartridge is probably the optimal one to go with so that it doesn’t cut or pull hair out or harm HT hairs as it’s more spread around.

Cool deal. I think the investment for the pen and similar tools is well worth it when you look at the convenience of it. I spend substantially less time on microneedling with the pen and the consistency of the needling itself is greater since it's automated.

5 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

Cool deal. I think the investment for the pen and similar tools is well worth it when you look at the convenience of it. I spend substantially less time on microneedling with the pen and the consistency of the needling itself is greater since it's automated.

I totally agree, I hated using the dermatoller a few years ago and didn’t look forward to the session and after 4 or 5 months stopped, but with the Pen im definitely consistent with it as it’s easier to use and gets more done in less time.

Im considering using it on my sides as well to try and get some more new dark hairs growing there to help with the grey/white native hair haha. If you zoom in in the 1st photo you might see in my temple triangle there is a dark shadow...I’ve been microneedling there a well and see lots of new dark hairs, so my thinking is why not elsewhere lol

Edited by CosmoKramer