4650 Grafts with Dr Resul Yaman - 13.7.2019

gbhscot

Hi all,

Can't believe after years of browsing that I get to write up a report on here. Particularly given that I'd been vocally saying I wouldn't bother with a HT having shaved my head and was loving it. In the end, a combination of right time, cancelled plans and a want for variety in the future won out, and I flew on July 12th to Istanbul.

Why Yaman?

I'll be honest, sitting in Stuttgart airport on 12th waiting on my flight, I was still booked in the next morning to see Dr Cinik. I'd made my booking with Cinik for his premium package, where he does all the channel openings and is generally more involved. I'd booked it, had it confirmed, and booked flights....once I sent confirmation of flights, they came back and told me it was double booked, so I'd be getting a tech only procedure. Obviously set alarm bells ringing and having spoken with numerous Cinik patients, realised that happens a bit too often to be purely accidental. I lost a lot of trust there, and having also seen a few really poor results, wasn't confident with Cinik at all.

Nonetheless flights were booked and I was going...however I had Ayfer, Yamans contact, still saved on whats app. Yaman has always had impressive results, although certainly a few horror stories thrown in. I've been openly critical of his donor area  work in a few cases on here. In his defence, he has replied on here often, and replied to my messages on whatsapp when questioned, this is something which impressed me a lot. I know there is an element of risk with any surgeon though, and as he was/is recommended on here and has some stellar results, I thought it was worth a punt.  His new implanter pen really makes sense to me too in terms of graft survival. I reached out, and When Ayfer got back and said last minute she could make it happen, I jumped at it. Cinik was swiftly cancelled, and as my flight was taxiing, Ayfer sent me confirmation of the transfer pick up point. Game on.

Surgery and Clinic

Picked up early the next morning, met Yaman in the clinic lobby and he instantly just seemed like a relaxed, warm and confident guy - liked him from the offset, despite a bit of a language barrier. Soon as he saw me he greeted me warmly, and proceeded to have a look at my donor. I'm not an easy case, and I think he was expecting worse as he seemed pretty content with the donor on seeing it himself. The clinic contains a few other cosmetic surgery clinics and was spotless, very modern. Bloods taken and then to the meeting with Dr Y. He sat me down, went through my hair with a trichographic camera pointing out good hairs and weak hairs, measured the donor and recipient areas and then we had a very frank discussion about what is possible. I have a big head, medium thickness blonde hair and I'm heading towards NW6 at 29. I'll never be amazed at my hair density again but Dr Yaman was confident he can get a good look through the front and mid scalp with a thin crown. Possible to fix, should I want to look at it in the future. We talked hairline, he did measurements, I found it all very scientific which impressed me, and decided on a good solution - good to go.

Surgery itself is brutal. Dr Yaman did all the channels at first (though I understood my package meant he'd open the channels for the hairline only - definitely a bonus for me that he did it all), and the PRP, then his team began the extractions.  It seems a family clinic, his cousin was on the FUE punch, a lovely guy with good English, we talked a lot. They all seem very fond of dr Y as an employer and seem like a close team of family members and good friends. There's something I like about that. I was in the chair for 12 hours. The injections were hell on earth, particularly behind ear and on neck (beard grafts) but aside from that its fine. I forgot to take headphones which was an awful mistake - take something to entertain yourself!!!! After all the extractions, I was given a quick lunch then back in to get implantation started. Three of them worked for 3-4 hours filling the channels dr Y had opened. His implanter takes longer it seems but they used it confidently, were relaxed and just got on with it. In the end, we finished late, near 10 PM. I felt bad for the team, they must have been exhausted after such a large session.

Yaman was in and out to inspect the work, and at the end was really positive about it. My Turkish is terrible but I had the impression that he was congratulating his team at one point for their implantations, he seemed really impressed with them. He told me it was very dense, moreso than he had thought possible, and that I can expect a good result.

Aftercare

So following a wash and final meeting, I was off back to Germany. Everything has gone smoothly, the after care is well documented and Ayfer has been in touch throughout the last  days. It is healing well, I'm impressed with the donor so far, only issue being a lot of pain as it heals. Sharp stabbing and i'm unable to rest my head on anything without burning pain. I've hardly slept! I think I'm just unlucky in terms of how my body reacted to the surgery. The beard area healed perfectly with minimal pain - I doubt anyone would notice a thing.

As I write this, I'm on day 9 post surgery. I've had some worries about the scabs coming off and taking hairs with them - it looked liked the full follicle at times but having spoken with Ayfer and looked at posts on here, it seems totally normal. I left the shampoo they provide in for a long time last night then gently massaged the scabs, pretty much all came off with ease - I'll stress though, mostly with small hairs, sometimes with the dark bulb like structure attached which scared me - assured that this is all fine and normal though, so anyone in the same situation reading this - relax! The pain persists and my head looks stained with red wine - no surprise to me, my Scottish complexion earns me a sunburn from the light in the fridge, so HT redness was always likely.

Summary

I've not put too much detail into this but will regularly be answering questions- anything you wanna know just ask. All in all, I'm amazed I went ahead and did it - I was really on the fence for years and was decidedly against it. That said, I'm happy I have now. 

I've criticized Dr Yaman previously on here, mostly out of disappointment as I'd saved enough to book then seen a result which put me right back to square one. On reflection, too quick to point the finger on my part. Having been to his clinic, I'd say Dr Yaman is a good choice of surgeon, at all times I felt he was competent and that his team knew their stuff too. Only thing I found a bit worrying at first was how young the team seemed - that did make me think twice at first, but at the end of the day, they are well trained by the Dr and all seemed highly competent. Would I recommend Dr Yaman? Yes - if you are thinking of going ahead with HT and have budget constraints, I'd seriously look into his clinic. Certainly before you look at Cinik, Smile etc. I feel he is a class apart, the only other Dr I had considered in Turkey was Dr Arslan Musbeh who I imagine is just as good. From experience though, Dr Yaman is a solid choice and won't let you down - his team makes the experience as comfortable as possible, and he really seems to try and push for the best result for his patients. He's not running a hair mill, I feel he cares about each patient he see's.

Of course, It's a results business, and how I look in 12 months will speak for itself - watch this space!

Over to you

So there's my brief story. Pics are below are from post op, day 7, and day 9. I am looking forward to hearing your feedback and questions. If anyone has suggestions how I can get rid of this donor pain, I am keen to hear them!

IMG_20190713_221133.jpg

IMG_20190713_221119.jpg

IMG_20190713_221144.jpg

IMG_20190720_143538.jpg

IMG_20190720_152013.jpg

IMG_20190722_101412.jpg

• Like 1

Best of luck with the hair transplant I think you made the right decision going with Dr Yaman and not Clinik ,unfortunately every Doc has failures but Yaman seems to get good results in the main ,keep us updated and remember patience is needed it's a slow process.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

4 weeks mark now and all see to be going well. Would have expected more shedding than I've had, and still have some pain in donor area when lying down, otherwise no problems to report. Will update with pics later.

18 hours ago, GorillaSquad said:

How is it so far.  I am deciding on possibly going with Yaman if it works with my schedule. I need like 1800 grafts.  Then like 8 days later I would get a rhinoplasty 

Feel free to message me any questions you have about Dr Yaman, happy to answer personally.

• Administrators

Thanks for posting, I know you were reluctant on having surgery. But you chose a good doc. Consider keeping track on a patient website as well.

https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Ahh understand. Pre op he told me 3500 with probably 1500 more later if I want to, but be warned the extraction pattern would become quite noticeable. In the end he took 4k from donor and I think it's looking good. Will post pics later. Also want to ask him what he thinks I have left when seeing it now.

My estimate is 2k. I'd have no problem depleting the donor a bit and getting SMP tbh. Sounds irresponsible, but if you go far why not go further. Nobody noticed a thing about the HT, they won't notice the donor either.

31 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Thanks for posting, I know you were reluctant on having surgery. But you chose a good doc. Consider keeping track on a patient website as well.

https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/

Thanks Melvin - I hope so. Knowing I liked my shaved head look actually empowered me to do this funnily enough. 

1 minute ago, CanadianPT said:

how much was the charge for the HT?

More than Cinik, less than Erdogan. Less than 1 EUR per graft however they gave me a particular offer due to my short notice filling a gap I think - you'd need to speak with the clinic for a quote.

• 2 weeks later...

So i am ... Just over 5 weeks post op, for some reason I haven't had too much shedding that I've noticed...maybe 30/40%? I did have some hair left but I certainly see some transplanted hairs which remain. 

A big worry of mine was the donor - I'd been critical of.dr yamans clinic previously for this. From the below.pics, I think it looks pretty good, will shave shorter in a few days to see just how short I can take it. 

Having seen so many results and posts on here, I never thought I'd suffer so impatiently waiting for the result! Its killing me! Just 47 weeks to go...

Let me know what you think. In particular..anyone know why I haven't shed as much as most guys?!

Cheers!

IMG_20190822_201635.jpg

IMG_20190822_191325.jpg

IMG_20190822_191351.jpg

IMG_20190822_192418.jpg

IMG_20190822_191342.jpg

• Administrators

🤔 3 months sounds a little excessive. Did he give you a reason as to why?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Just to give the follicles time to rest. The thing is, like I've had relatively little shedding so I kind think minox would do a world of good currently. Had been on it prior to HT so worried i'll end up losing ground

• Administrators
13 hours ago, gbhscot said:

started it 7 weeks ago, feeling a bit weird from it so have reduced dosage to half.

Why are you feeling worried?

View my thread

5 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Why are you feeling worried?

Nothing too dramatic, and was aware of potential for placebo sides so persevered with it, but definitely had a drop in libido and EQ combined with a general downturn in mood. Thought it would iron out over time but I started getting these weird headaches too about an hour after taking it. Reduced dose going ok so far, just hope it is still effective.