Need help deciding what to do.

I had a procedure done 2 years ago fue 1500 grafts didn’t give me the density I wanted. 

I want to have another procedure but Can’t decide who to go with and don’t know if I should do fue again or fut

I’ve thought about going back to my first surgeon but I kinda don’t want to risk it again.

next surgeon is Dr Bloxham which I know will give me the results I want but don’t know if I want the scar.

next is keser which is fue and has a lot of good work on this forum. But is very far as I’m in jersey. 

Hasson and Wong is probably my next surgeon. Canada is a very short flight from me. I’m still waiting for a response from them. If they say I’m a candidate I don’t know if I should get fue done or fut.

i don’t want to start a fue vs fut thread but I want to be in a good situation today as I do in 20 years from now (I’m 30 btw) I know fut gives you more survivability as far as grafts. But I don’t want to be stuck with a stretched scar or not being able to shave my head if the procedure fails.

just curious what would some of you guys do if you were in my shoes.

if you curious of what my hair looks like I have a thread with my first procedure here 

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/49351-1551-grafts-with-luis-nader/?tab=comments#comment-455985

4 minutes ago, hairman22 said:

dont think your previous transplant was that bad.

Most grafts grew just not enough.

I think you should go for fue as you like to have short hair.

No I don’t think it was bad either. Just wish he went a little bit more dense in the hairline . 

I don’t want to mess this up again so my next one I want to make sure it’s done right. 

I just had a look at your old post and I do think you do like the option of having your hair short? In that case FUE would probably be favorable. I do think your first transplant was good, but looking at the pre op photos, I do think 2200 would’ve been a home run for you. Are you on any maintenance therapy?

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Contact me via WhatsApp at +962798378396 (Jordan) 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

4 hours ago, DrTBarghouthi said:

I just had a look at your old post and I do think you do like the option of having your hair short? In that case FUE would probably be favorable. I do think your first transplant was good, but looking at the pre op photos, I do think 2200 would’ve been a home run for you. Are you on any maintenance therapy?

No medication for me.

I wouldn’t mind growing out my hair if I get the result I want. 

Thing is I know you get more hair going the fut route and that’s always on the back of everyone’s mind am I going to have enough hair to keep up with my hair loss. 

Going fue route yea you can go lower on the sides/back but your risking yield % and I think that’s the main thing I don’t want to gamble with fue if my odds for a home run case is higher with fut. Even if I have to have the back and sides At a 3 max I think it’s a good trade off.

The whole idea of doing grafts is to have more hair, not to keep shaving.  And I note from your post, you are not considering FUT only because you're afraid you'll end up with something unnatural and want the option to shave if this is the case.  If so, visit with the doctors recommended by the forum. Review photos and, when you find cases similar to your own, with the results you want, move forward.  Not before.

The concept of density does not get discussed often.  If you have a piece of paper and draw 100 dots throughout, you are not going to see much change.  But if do put 100 dots in a 1/4 inch space, of course you'll see the color change.  Concentrating grafts is key to making an impact.  I gather the 1500 grafts you did were placed diffusely through the front and did not make the difference you were hoping for.  So, next time, do as many grafts as the doctor recommends and have him concentrate the majority in the area of concern.

While I understand your styling preferences, I think you should consider both procedures, FUT and FUE.  This gives access to the entire donor.  And, you can always put FUE grafts on the scar if need be.  

No meds, are you crazy? Fortunately there are options you can consider. I would urge you to start something.  Keep in mind, once gone, you'll never get it back.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LaserCap said:

The whole idea of doing grafts is to have more hair, not to keep shaving.  And I note from your post, you are not considering FUT only because you're afraid you'll end up with something unnatural and want the option to shave if this is the case.  If so, visit with the doctors recommended by the forum. Review photos and, when you find cases similar to your own, with the results you want, move forward.  Not before.

The concept of density does not get discussed often.  If you have a piece of paper and draw 100 dots throughout, you are not going to see much change.  But if do put 100 dots in a 1/4 inch space, of course you'll see the color change.  Concentrating grafts is key to making an impact.  I gather the 1500 grafts you did were placed diffusely through the front and did not make the difference you were hoping for.  So, next time, do as many grafts as the doctor recommends and have him concentrate the majority in the area of concern.

While I understand your styling preferences, I think you should consider both procedures, FUT and FUE.  This gives access to the entire donor.  And, you can always put FUE grafts on the scar if need be.  

No meds, are you crazy? Fortunately there are options you can consider. I would urge you to start something.  Keep in mind, once gone, you'll never get it back.

Hey lasercap,

yea I know exactly what happened in my last procedure and that he didn’t densely pack the areas that were balding that’s why it looks the way it does. I wouldn’t say it was a waste because it did make a difference just not a dense difference.

im torn between both procedures because of exactly what you said if it doesn’t come out as good as I wanted or I all of a sudden become a Norwood 7 (I hope not) I have that option of shaving my head if I go fue

if I go fut the chances of me having a good result go up higher but I’ll never be able to shave my head.

after doing a lot of research on meds and being on this forum for around 5 years. I rather not. 

1 hour ago, Tbcruz said:

Hey lasercap,

yea I know exactly what happened in my last procedure and that he didn’t densely pack the areas that were balding that’s why it looks the way it does. I wouldn’t say it was a waste because it did make a difference just not a dense difference.

im torn between both procedures because of exactly what you said if it doesn’t come out as good as I wanted or I all of a sudden become a Norwood 7 (I hope not) I have that option of shaving my head if I go fue

if I go fut the chances of me having a good result go up higher but I’ll never be able to shave my head.

after doing a lot of research on meds and being on this forum for around 5 years. I rather not. 

you look way off nw7.

what is your family history like. anyone's hairloss similar?

20 minutes ago, hairman22 said:

you look way off nw7.

what is your family history like. anyone's hairloss similar?

Yea I hope not but I was just comparing it to an extreme. And my dad at 65 hair situation looks like this 

9CD3C9F3-4742-4C97-97E7-6ADBD38F687B.png

A strong 5a with a lot of miniaturized hair.  Meds would help him as well.

While difficult to day, I very much doubt you'll end up 7 based on what you've written and the photo you just posted.  But, if your concern is getting worse, why oppose a laser, for example or any of the other modalities?  Propecia, I get.  Most get hung up with the potential side effects issue.  But aside of that, you could truly help control the loss.

When you consider the fact that there is not enough donor to allow for a full set of hair when dealing with an advanced pattern, it is imperative you keep as much of the native hair as you can. But let's play out the scenario of not doing meds.  Say you do become a class 7.  By that point you would have had a procedure and let's assume you did an FUE.  You dipped considerably in the back....All the hair harvested from the donor will also thin.  So eventually you may end up with a few stragglers.  

If your goal is to do nothing to preserve the native hair, I would suggest you do absolutely nothing.  No grafts, no meds, NOTHING.  

1 hour ago, LaserCap said:

A strong 5a with a lot of miniaturized hair.  Meds would help him as well.

While difficult to day, I very much doubt you'll end up 7 based on what you've written and the photo you just posted.  But, if your concern is getting worse, why oppose a laser, for example or any of the other modalities?  Propecia, I get.  Most get hung up with the potential side effects issue.  But aside of that, you could truly help control the loss.

When you consider the fact that there is not enough donor to allow for a full set of hair when dealing with an advanced pattern, it is imperative you keep as much of the native hair as you can. But let's play out the scenario of not doing meds.  Say you do become a class 7.  By that point you would have had a procedure and let's assume you did an FUE.  You dipped considerably in the back....All the hair harvested from the donor will also thin.  So eventually you may end up with a few stragglers.  

If your goal is to do nothing to preserve the native hair, I would suggest you do absolutely nothing.  No grafts, no meds, NOTHING.  

Medication and laser are all delayers not cures. Nothing will prevent you from losing hair only delay it. Eventually your body gets use to the medication and your hair loss progresses. 

If im destined for a 5a then my best bet would be going fut rather then fue if I really want to get the most out of my donor. 

Doing nothing is also an option. Sometimes doing nothing results in no regrets and not being in a bad situation.

I disagree with you, partially.  If the medication works, it will work for as long as you do it.  But why stop if it's working?  The main thing here is to understand that no one has enough donor to achieve a full set of hair when dealing with an advanced pattern.  

When used together, these meds can truly halt the loss.  No, your body does not get used to anything.  You will resume losing if you stop the regimen,  

How many times have I heard patients say. "I wish I would have done it sooner." So yes, either way there can be regrets.  It's a tough call given your thought process, but I do respect your stands.  Just don't jump into anything until you've given this a lot of consideration. The result is permanent after all.

39 minutes ago, LaserCap said:

I disagree with you, partially.  If the medication works, it will work for as long as you do it.  But why stop if it's working?  The main thing here is to understand that no one has enough donor to achieve a full set of hair when dealing with an advanced pattern.  

When used together, these meds can truly halt the loss.  No, your body does not get used to anything.  You will resume losing if you stop the regimen,  

How many times have I heard patients say. "I wish I would have done it sooner." So yes, either way there can be regrets.  It's a tough call given your thought process, but I do respect your stands.  Just don't jump into anything until you've given this a lot of consideration. The result is permanent after all.

I don’t think the medication is that simple “ if it works it will for as long as you take it”. 

I do agree with not having enough donor to achieve a full head of hair with high norwoods tho. I think if I get a 5a and I start fut I think I would be satisfied even if worse case scenario my crown is not as dense as the rest.

thank you for your opinion on the matter tho. I appreciate you taking the time to help me out. I’m just stuck in this situation which is not a bad one. But I want to make the best possible decision for now and future and I think that will be fut with a good surgeon I’m leaning towards Dr. Bloxham. 

2 hours ago, paddyirishman said:

What about FUE and a combination of beard grafts. ????   Might be better than a linear scar at the back of your head ?

...all the best ....

......Paddy......

Might be or fut with beard grafts into scar or smp into scar or both lol 

honestly some days I’m like okay let’s do it fue so I don’t have to worry about the scar but then I’m like I rather do it fut so I get the most out of it and just keep my hair longer on the sides.

I’m really having a tough time deciding.

Hasson and Wong responded and said 2k fue which means $16k. They also said I could do fut which would be $10k. Flight would be around $400.

Dr. Keser said 1k fue which means $3.5k +$1k (flight) = $4.5k

Dr. Bloxham suggested around 1k fut 

1,100-1,250: $8,250
1,300-1,500: $8,800
1,600-1,750: $9,750
2,000-2,250: $10,750

those are his prices about the same as Hassan and Wong for fut. no flight for him since I’m 30min away.

You should ask for lower prices first of all if your not happy with those. Is it 1000 to 2000 grafts you require according to the cllinics?  

I would make a long term plan both in grafts you will need some years into the future.,  and financially also as one could need to win the lotto to fund more HTs at some of these prices.

Why dont you cast your net out further afield outside America.? There are great clinics and doctors recommended on this forum at a much more affordable prices.

All the best

....Paddy...