Finasteride has made balding worse!

FriarTuckless

I am 23 and started noticing balding 2 years ago. The hair on my crown was thinning.

i started finasteride almost 2-3 months ago and can see that the bald spot looks much worse in the mirror than it did before I started the drug.

I have also noticed that since starting fina, the number of hair which comes off in shower is much higher, almost double.

I heard finasteride causes shedding initially but this is depressing. Should I continue treatment?

On the plus side, no side effects seen so far and in fact I feel my sex drive has increased.

Anyone been in similar shoes?

Edited by FriarTuckless
Typo

Hair which you lose know was in resting state at least 3 month, hence it is unlikely triggered by FIN. 

Likely would be:

a) It is all in your head as you focus on it

b) Your AGA is in full rage and it would get worse without FIN. Considering your age this is very realistic.

If you have not side effects I recommend to continue for at least 12 month 

There are two types of loss,  The type you see and the type you don't.  The follicle gets tired of producing hair and it goes into a resting mode.  It sheds the hair.  Months later, the follicle starts producing again.  Most believe 100 hair a day is normal. And, by the way, not all hair is programmed to shed at the same time.  

The hair you don't see refers to miniaturization of the native hair.  Go to the mirror and check for yourself.  Look closely at your hairline, particularly the corners.  Note the shaft of the hair is nice and thick on some and thinner on others.  You may even see some so small and thin they seem not to be growing.  That's hair loss.  Hair that dissipates and eventually grows no more.

Propecia/Finasteride is meant for you to keep what you have.  Most people think, however, if they don't see a visual change for the better, the medication is not working.  This is incorrect.  A year from now, If you look the same as you do now, the medication is doing what it's supposed to be doing.  If you do look fuller, awesome.  Then you are in the small percentage of patients that are getting enhancement.  It truly takes a full year to get the most benefit from the medication.  

Like Gasthoerer  indicates, give the medication a year and then assess.  I would also recommend you take photos and put them away.  Do the same 3-6 months from now so you can keep track otherwise you'll forget.

If you started balding at 21, you are likely to experience substantial hair loss.  Finasteride is the only defense you have to keep some of your hair.  You should try to give it at least a year.