losing native hair after hair transplant

I did hair transplant 7 months ago, and the result after 6 months was good. However, in the 7 month mark, I feel the density is worse than the 6 month result and I guess the reason that I lost a lot of native hair during this month.

Is that normal to lose a lot of native hair suddenly after hairtransplant?

Also, do you think I lost native hair or my transplanted hair may fall?

I don't use fenastride or minixodil and I don't want to use them. How can I protect my hair without using them? are there any other products might help protecting my native and transplanted hair without bad side effects?

You wont lose your newly transplanted hair. It is possible your native hair that you had before your HT was not as robust and thicker than it once was  and was possibly heading towards its natural cycle of falling . Dont worry as this could grow back as it could be caused by other factors also. Speak with your HT doctor.

Make sure to eat healthy and to get all the good vitamins that promotes good hair growth and healing, biotin, zinc, aloe vera,  and better to take hair growth promotional tablets also Nizoral shampoo. 

........all the best.....

..........Paddy.....

Do you have any pics at the 6 month mark and also put up some current ones?

Shock loss usually occurs between the 2-6 week post-op period so if you are at 6 months, IMHO you are either just experiencing more progressive hair loss or possibly a shed cycle.

Have you discussed this with your doctor?

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

On 7/17/2019 at 4:29 PM, Optimistic1 said:

I did hair transplant 7 months ago, and the result after 6 months was good. However, in the 7 month mark, I feel the density is worse than the 6 month result and I guess the reason that I lost a lot of native hair during this month.

Is that normal to lose a lot of native hair suddenly after hairtransplant?

Also, do you think I lost native hair or my transplanted hair may fall?

I don't use fenastride or minixodil and I don't want to use them. How can I protect my hair without using them? are there any other products might help protecting my native and transplanted hair without bad side effects?

One step at a time......First, did you do PRP at the time of the procedure?  I doubt it based on the way you wrote the post.  If so, I am surprised you felt so jubilant after only 6 months.  It truly takes a full year to assess the full result of a transplant. At the 6 months mark the transplants are rather small and the caliber of the hair is still fairly weak. I doubt very much if this was really having any impact.  Looking fuller? Perhaps but I don't think so.

So, on the 7 month you saw less density.  Could be that you were experiencing shedding of the native hair, or experiencing additional loss.  I doubt it was shock loss due to the procedure.  This typically does not happen 7 months after a procedure.  Perhaps there is something else causing the problem.  The first thing to do is to go to the dermatologist and have them scope you.  This will really tell you what's happening.  If they don't and rely on observation, they'll just be "guessing" and you'll get a bunch of "perhaps this or perhaps that."

It is not normal to lose a lot of hair due to a transplant.  Can it happen? Sure.  Shock loss, or just the fact that the doctor is using a very sharp instrument and is giving you a haircut. Seems like shock, but it's not.  Obviously this hair will come back.  As far as the shocked one, this will typically return along with the transplant.  It can take months.  In very rare occasions - it does not return.

If the hair in the donor area is solid, it will remain wherever it is placed.  It is unlikely you will lose the transplanted hair.  But, why did you have a transplant?  Likely because you're thinning.  And, if you've shown the propensity to lose, you will continue losing.  When? Who knows.  But the writing is on the wall.  Not doing medical therapy is just plain dumb.  Propecia, Rogaine, Laser and PRP are the typical modalities we discuss when referring to hair retention.  They work in different ways and are thus, synergistic. Most will have side effects associated with it, except the laser.  

I would encourage you to do some research and speak with 2-3 doctors and get their opinion about all you can be doing.  Also, take photos and put them away.  Do another set in 3 months and another in 6 months.  This should give you an idea of what is truly happening.

• 4 years later...
On 7/19/2019 at 1:39 PM, gillenator said:

Do you have any pics at the 6 month mark and also put up some current ones?

Shock loss usually occurs between the 2-6 week post-op period so if you are at 6 months, IMHO you are either just experiencing more progressive hair loss or possibly a shed cycle.

Have you discussed this with your doctor?

Can you explain the shed cycle? My hair lost significant density after my procedure. I noticed the shock loss two months ago and it still hasn’t grown back at 4 months.

@Optimistic1,

when I read the title of this topic, I automatically was thinking that you were experiencing post operative Telogen effluvium known as shock loss. However, you are already seven months in and by your description, you’ve already seen some pretty substantial growth by six months.   By the sounds of it, you were starting to really like the way your hair was looking and since there is more growth and maturation to come over the next several months, it sounds like you should be happy with your results.  But shock loss is clearly not the issue here.

Are you currently taking anything like finasteride or minoxidil in order to slow down or stop the progression of male pattern baldness? In my opinion, it simply sounds like your genetic hair loss is getting worse. And while you may have only just noticed this within the last month, it’s likely been going on this whole time. It’s just that all the last several months, you were likely experiencing a lot of newly transplanted hair growth so you were noticing the net gain while this past month… Your new growth may have slowed down giving you a chance to see that your natural hair is still thinning.

if you’re not already, I do suggest considering getting on finasteride and possibly minoxidil in conjunction which may help slow down, stop or even reverse  some of your naturally thinning hair due to genetic hair loss.  Just be sure to speak with the doctor before getting on any prescription medication such as finasteride.

I hope this helps 

Patient Advocate for Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

1 hour ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

@Optimistic1,

when I read the title of this topic, I automatically was thinking that you were experiencing post operative Telogen effluvium known as shock loss. However, you are already seven months in and by your description, you’ve already seen some pretty substantial growth by six months.   By the sounds of it, you were starting to really like the way your hair was looking and since there is more growth and maturation to come over the next several months, it sounds like you should be happy with your results.  But shock loss is clearly not the issue here.

Are you currently taking anything like finasteride or minoxidil in order to slow down or stop the progression of male pattern baldness? In my opinion, it simply sounds like your genetic hair loss is getting worse. And while you may have only just noticed this within the last month, it’s likely been going on this whole time. It’s just that all the last several months, you were likely experiencing a lot of newly transplanted hair growth so you were noticing the net gain while this past month… Your new growth may have slowed down giving you a chance to see that your natural hair is still thinning.

if you’re not already, I do suggest considering getting on finasteride and possibly minoxidil in conjunction which may help slow down, stop or even reverse  some of your naturally thinning hair due to genetic hair loss.  Just be sure to speak with the doctor before getting on any prescription medication such as finasteride.

I hope this helps 

Patient Advocate for Rahal Hair Transplant

He haven’t been active here since 2019

On 12/9/2023 at 2:03 PM, mojones said:

Can you explain the shed cycle? My hair lost significant density after my procedure. I noticed the shock loss two months ago and it still hasn’t grown back at 4 months.

At 4 months the hair that was shocked is just starting a new growth cycle and still not visible until it grows an inch or so…on average hair grows 1/2 inch per month.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY