BHT for shaved head look

Hi Everyone,

Not too familiar with BHT(body hair transplant) so i thought i'd ask some of the experts here.  So I actually don't want long lush hair, I prefer the shaved head look.  I met a few folks that had SMP but that doesn't look real up close and in person.  Would I be able to achieve a shaved head look after a BHT?  I am attaching an image of what I'd like from the BHT.  It's my first post and I'd appreciate the feedback and if you have a recommended doctor, I'd be open to that.  Thanks in advance!

111.PNG

I would argue that BHT is a last resort if your donor is completely depleted and should not be your first choice especially for hairline work because the differences in the hairs will stick out like a sore thumb

Edited by home1212

9 hours ago, home1212 said:

I would argue that BHT is a last resort if your donor is completely depleted and should not be your first choice especially for hairline work because the differences in the hairs will stick out like a sore thumb

I agree if you were to grow it out long, but if you are shaving it all off to the stuble...wouldn't it work?

Never ever think of using BHT on hairline, it would look horrible in my opinion. BHT is the last resort when donor is about to be limited. Its good to be used for mid scalp and crown sometimes. Most optimum for strip scars coverage due to the thickness of the follicle. 

Once you consider shaving your hair then you do not need to worry about using Beard hair because the biggest concern is the slow growth rate. Good Luck Buddy.

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

Too many factors to consider in this case.  First, your current hairline is age and pattern appropriate.  To bring down would be criminal.  I understand how young guys reminisce about the hairline they once had.  It is tough to realize those days are gone.  What we do need to do is to get ready for what's coming.  

I do know of a couple of outfits that do SMP and do give the look of hair, similar to the photo you've posted.  It actually looks good, but I do think patients should proceed with caution.  I think the main reason why this procedure, to call it that,  became available was to provide the "look" of hair for those with no other option.  No donor, etc.  In your case, it seems, you have a great deal of hair but choose to wear it very tight.  

If I was in your case and were to consider transplants, I would perhaps take it from below the chin.  Yes, there would be minor scarring, but no one would see it.  

Body hair does not have the same qualities nor characteristics we find in a donor area. Follicles will have 1 hair and it typically does not grow very well.  May have a kink to it, etc.  And while I understand you would keep it shaven, the look would be that of a miniaturized hair, and not a strong caliber one, (and more so when concentrated in a strip - and in the most prominent area - the very front).

5 hours ago, iamtheone654 said:

but guys, if you are shaving it...it'll just be a hair follicle no?  i would have 0 intention of growing this out

Don't make a lifelong commitment you may regret.  Believe me the shaved head look will not last forever. 

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

Nape, beard hair, chest hair will clearly look unnatural in hairline.  It may even shock your other hairs.   If you have eyes staring at your scalp after a so called repair with these hairs, then you know that the hair quality looks terrible.  

19 hours ago, Sean said:

Nape, beard hair, chest hair will clearly look unnatural in hairline.  It may even shock your other hairs.   If you have eyes staring at your scalp after a so called repair with these hairs, then you know that the hair quality looks terrible.  

Curious about this, can you please elaborate @Sean as I know Konior uses nape hair and his results look amazing.. Why do you say nape hair looks unnatural? I am considering using nape hair for my repair, is that not a good idea?

There are things I believed in when I was in my 20s that today I wouldn't even consider.  I have seen way too many changes through the years to believe anything but a normal hairstyle will ever come back into style.  The bald look will probably go out of style soon and you will be kicking yourself because of a poor decision today.  Always allow yourself the option to go to a standard hairstyle.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

If you want to shave you are better off getting SMP

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Moderators

I think your current hairline looks fine except that it could maybe use a few grafts into the center front, but I wouldn't lower it any.  I wouldn't do SMP to lower the hairline. That would not look right. You would have a band of SMP in front of your real hair.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

I agree, smp in front would create a band.  Do not do nape or bht or beard hair for density especially if you shave your head.  The density is piss poor.  If you get a restoration and get these alternative hairs placed between transplanted scalp hairs, they can also shock those hairs permanently if done wrong.  

The growth cycles are so off between your scalp hair that you may be playing catchup even if you shave or keep hair crew cut like.  If you keep it longer you may be able to cover just a little more and by the way, these other alternate hairs do not really grow as fast nor the length of your native hair it seems.  So if a barber messes up and cuts the front where alternative hairs were used, it will take them longer to grow to keep in pace with rest of your scalp.  

Man this is the truth, you can rock the shaved head smoothly, not many guys can do that.  Once you start grafting, you may even compromise that virgin scalp even more.  Best of lucj