Can I use NAPE hair as donor for FUE?

Is it possible to use nape hair as FUE donor? I remembered that Chef Gordon Ramsay used his nape hair for his FUE hair transplant.  I’m talking about the hair that creates the neckline in the back of the head. 

I know its not in the safe donor zone but I want to use it to fill in my sparse areas of my over harvested donor from my previous FUE surgery. 

So literally, my NECKLINE would be higher if the nape hair is used. How obvious would the scarring be in this area?

Edited by karnas

1 hour ago, Phil36fromaus said:

yes i had nape hair used in my latest HT, but it was a repair case. Its generally not liked to be used given if you are partial to retrograde alopecia you will eventually lose those hairs in the end (i think there is about a 10% loss for each decade) and you are also left with the scar from the extraction 

How obvious the scarring comes down to the size of the punch and the skill of the surgeon im afraid, so its ultimately surgeon dependent.  

Nice response.  This was typically done in the late 80's, early 90's.  Back then it was purely FUT.  So, when you see older guys with lines in the lower part of their donor, you know that they did transplants.  If not experiencing retrograde-why not? There are two things with this.  You never know if retrograde will happen, and why not take the hair from behind the ear?  You can also find finer hairs in that area and are not subject to thinning like they may be in the nape area.

13 hours ago, Phil36fromaus said:

yes i had nape hair used in my latest HT, but it was a repair case. Its generally not liked to be used given if you are partial to retrograde alopecia you will eventually lose those hairs in the end (i think there is about a 10% loss for each decade) and you are also left with the scar from the extraction 

How obvious the scarring comes down to the size of the punch and the skill of the surgeon im afraid, so its ultimately surgeon dependent.  

thanks, In your case, has anyone noticed the scarring in your nape? I assume the FUE holes look like a bunch of white dots along your neckline? 

Edited by karnas