karnas

Can I use NAPE hair as donor for FUE?

Posted (edited)

Is it possible to use nape hair as FUE donor? I remembered that Chef Gordon Ramsay used his nape hair for his FUE hair transplant.  I’m talking about the hair that creates the neckline in the back of the head. 

I know its not in the safe donor zone but I want to use it to fill in my sparse areas of my over harvested donor from my previous FUE surgery. 

So literally, my NECKLINE would be higher if the nape hair is used. How obvious would the scarring be in this area?

Edited by karnas

yes i had nape hair used in my latest HT, but it was a repair case. Its generally not liked to be used given if you are partial to retrograde alopecia you will eventually lose those hairs in the end (i think there is about a 10% loss for each decade) and you are also left with the scar from the extraction 

How obvious the scarring comes down to the size of the punch and the skill of the surgeon im afraid, so its ultimately surgeon dependent.  

1 hour ago, Phil36fromaus said:

yes i had nape hair used in my latest HT, but it was a repair case. Its generally not liked to be used given if you are partial to retrograde alopecia you will eventually lose those hairs in the end (i think there is about a 10% loss for each decade) and you are also left with the scar from the extraction 

How obvious the scarring comes down to the size of the punch and the skill of the surgeon im afraid, so its ultimately surgeon dependent.  

Nice response.  This was typically done in the late 80's, early 90's.  Back then it was purely FUT.  So, when you see older guys with lines in the lower part of their donor, you know that they did transplants.  If not experiencing retrograde-why not? There are two things with this.  You never know if retrograde will happen, and why not take the hair from behind the ear?  You can also find finer hairs in that area and are not subject to thinning like they may be in the nape area.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Phil36fromaus said:

thanks, In your case, has anyone noticed the scarring in your nape? I assume the FUE holes look like a bunch of white dots along your neckline? 

Edited by karnas

Posted (edited)

sorry when I refer to "nape" i mean the area directly under the occipital bone (the area partial to retrograde alopecia), not the few sparse hairs we have along the neckline if that's what you mean?

nape.png.f1f87ed8ee95eee8e7bf99f976a1b1e4.png

I grow my hair long from the surgery where i was over-harvested so no, nobody has noticed. My over-harvesting was mild compared to others so I still have the option to grow my hair long, it's only when my hair is short does it look bad so I use dermatch to fill in the blanks.

My repair surgery that I just had that made use of my nape hair I really can't tell where any of the extractions were made given the doc I went to is insanely meticulous. The white dots from my over-harvesting surgery are more noticeable. 

Edited by Phil36fromaus

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Find a Pre-Screened Physician

• Choose a proven physician
    Chosen by patients

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Newest Topics

• Latest Posts

• In this short video, we have a guy my age, with class 4 or 5 hair loss on whom we did a nice frontal third case.  We show close up shots of the scar early on and late...and his results.   He makes it challenging in that with that short haircut....there is no layering to give extra hair "body" in the front, and that scar has to be excellent.     The video is:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ2yZSOnQOE&feature=youtu.be       Dr. Lindsey McLean VA
    • Thanks for your input. Here is to hoping my next procedure gets me good coverage, at least at the front.
    • Not entirely surprised by the result taking into the account the number of grafts, the area transplanted into and the hairline design. You had extensive baldness going into the procedure and  think 2381 grafts was never going to be enough to give you a good result. Probably needed somewhere nearer the 3500 graft mark Don't think it's a complete disaster though, more a case of just not enough grafts being placed and density suffering as a result. Don't think it will take too much to get you where you want to be and your donor looks pretty good. In terms of the cost, believe Dr Diep is around $8 per graft for FUE. That is H&W and Dr Konior territory and with H&W now seemingly having more cases with them tackling more extensive balding with FUE, I know where I'd be headed if I had a budget of $8 per graft.
    • Here are my father's results. I will be posting the pictures we sent to Dr. Diep's office, my father's pre-op pics, and his post-op pics. He received more than 2600 grafts places in his frontal 1/3rd via FUT. I was hoping that my father got a result similar to SWdan's since they are similar in age (62y/o) and had almost the same amount grafts done by FUT One thing I will say I've noticed is that physicians who were surgeons before they became hair transplant docs definitely seem to suture the scalp skin more seamlessly after a FUT. My father still has an indentation along his suture line. I am just comparing this with all the work I've seen from Dr. Lindsey and his FUT suture lines. My father's scalp could be a 1 off for Diep and maybe Lindsey would create the same indentation, I don't know, but I am just stating what I've noticed. Not here to trash any physician but I just want to give honest feedback so other people have an idea of what they may be getting. (My father is a physician and I am a 4th year medical student, if that means anything to anyone.)     This picture looks a lot better because its taken in very low light and he dyed the heck out of his hair and scalp here.   Pictures of his scar about 2 weeks after the surgery. I think there was lot of shock loss around the scar which makes it look worse than it really was. The hair seemed to have grown back now but there are more noticeable indentations to the touch at the beginning and the end of the suture line above both left and right ears. I don't have pictures of the donor area right now but you can't notice anything unusual visually so its safe to say the all the hair grew back. Also from the last time I saw my father, it didn't seem like the scar was wide, so that's a positive, but I'll have to check again when I see him next.      
    • I will be posting some pics of my father on this thread to show you guys what I am talking about. I am following quiet a few Erdogan patients that had surgery in 2018 and 2019 to see how their results turn out. Like you said, I've seen a good amount of poor results by his clinic recently and am a bit skeptical. I don't want to waist donor grafts as I'm sure all of us on this forum feel the same way. I've seen a lot of recent posts by Hair of Istanbul on IG and youtube. Any idea about them? A good amount, maybe a quarter of the small bottle. But I buy fibers off of ebay in bulk to save on the cost. Couldn't have said it better. I have the same feelings as you when it comes to how he runs the business. I will try and see what I can do about a refund. I think I will enlist Melvin's help because he seems to have a good relationship with Dr. Diep. Yes I agree and for a quarter of the price. That's my main issue, the price is so expensive and to get this result is a bit disheartening, but I am in this journey for the long haul. I knew what I was getting into when I started, thanks to this forum and other forums like this.
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    srikanth_2117