Can’t decide! Fut or Fue

42 minutes ago, Recedinggenes said:

I’m considering a highly reputable surgeon, so I feel better about going fut.  My hair is just naturally thinner and my dads a Norwood 6 so I feel fut is best for the long run. 

Havent heard much from people that have gone fut and have been pleased with their scar/donor. That’s why I posted this

Have a look at the latest result posted by Dr. Bloxham, he put up a video where he clearly shows how the scar looks at a really low guard. Virtually undetectable. 

6 hours ago, Greg_Swanson said:

Have a look at the latest result posted by Dr. Bloxham, he put up a video where he clearly shows how the scar looks at a really low guard. Virtually undetectable. 

Those last 2 words " VIRTUALLY UNDETECTABLE " can mean something completely different depending who you talk to.  Pictures of past patients FUT scar might not be the same as it can depend on the type of skin and healing ability from one patient to another. Thats not even comparing from that surgeon ,to your surgeon into the mix.

If your concerned about the scar there is going to be a very good chance you might be concerned later in life when our hair naturally thins at the back and it become see through like the senior guys in our society.

If one is looking for good coverage over a life time maybe beard grafts and BHT might be a solution instead of the FUT scar.

.......Paddy.......

• Moderators

If I were starting all over again today I would do one megasession FUT of about 4000 grafts to cover the hairline and a light covering into the midscalp and crown and then do about 4000 beard and chest grafts to finish filling in the midscalp and crown. I would not do scalp FUE because it would have to be taken from a wide area that will fall out later. I would not save the beard and chest grafts for a last resort as some people say to do. If you know you will need them then use them. If you know you're headed to a high NW then don't try to take too many grafts from your head because you'll need them there later. Use as much body hair as you can.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

16 hours ago, elduterino said:

I don't have scars but you guys miss a big point - even if someone ended up with tiny dotted scars on their bare skin, we have a lot more options to get ride of those.

Laser abrasion, chemical peeling etc all these treatments for acne scars can be used to smooth the skin if needed. This isn't possible on a fut scar hence all the threads seeking to fix FUT scars 

I have seen reports of guys having plugs removed from the hairline then had skin smoothed by laser and it looked perfectly smooth at the end

The key is to go to a doc using smaller caliber punches 

Wtf is laser or chemical peeling going to do on an fue scar that is just blank scar tissue after a graft is removed? It won’t magically fill in a blank spot with hair or pigment. Stop spreading horrible info. 

And I know your next point is going to be smp into the scar....news flash smp usually doesn’t last that long when placed into scar tissue. 

Edited by jj51702

@jj51702

I would never consider smp as the ink changes color over time 

Like I wrote, if you choose a surgeon using smaller diameter punches and your skin type heals well - like the op in the first Pic, Fue scars are a non-issue even with a close shave like they do in beard fue

6 minutes ago, elduterino said:

@jj51702

Like I wrote, if you choose a surgeon using smaller diameter punches and your skin type heals well - like the op in the first Pic, Fue scars are a non-issue even with a close shave like they do in beard fue

I agree , I believe the above makes sense.

...........Paddy.......

3 hours ago, elduterino said:

@jj51702

Wtf? Horrible misinformation regarding something you don’t know about yet again. Tattoo ink is made of various base colors combined and that can change colors over time (usually blue or green). The pigment used in high quality smp can fade, however it is very unlikely to change color.

facial skin is different than scalp as it’s way more elastic and heals differently so your point is moot yet again. 👎🏻

• Administrators

From what I have heard the ink in trichopigmentation is organic and gets broken down by the body fairly quickly. The big thing for me is needing to keep having the procedure done every year or so. For one, it's not cheap and two, if you are fairly active you wont be able to sweat or workout hard for a while as it causes the ink to fade faster. I am thinking of having it done though and documenting it on here.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Moderators
13 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

From what I have heard the ink in trichopigmentation is organic and gets broken down by the body fairly quickly. The big thing for me is needing to keep having the procedure done every year or so. For one, it's not cheap and two, if you are fairly active you wont be able to sweat or workout hard for a while as it causes the ink to fade faster. I am thinking of having it done though and documenting it on here.

I don't particularly like the idea of SMP because it's adding colored dots to your scalp, but for someone who at least has some hair in the area and just wants to look like they have a bit more density, I think a somewhat scattered, spaced out amount of SMP could work without being noticeable. I get worried about the color fading or changing over time... or even not changing if your real hair starts to gray.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Moderators
On 7/17/2019 at 9:36 AM, elduterino said:

Beard hair is used for FUE and we don't see issues of permanent tiny dotted ugly scars on people faces afterwards, even with a regular "zero guard" shave...

Beard grafts are taken from under the chin, so any scars are just not going to be as noticeable as they will be on the back and side of your head. There is almost never anyone looking under your chin from no matter what angle they see you from. That is not the case with FUE done on your scalp. There's also the fact that I've had FUE done from several areas and the healing is much better in the beard area.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I have no doubts that Fue healing will be fine at the beard if done properly and no scars will be seen even if you don't date women much taller than you 

My point is that - for smaller punches and skin type healing well, Fue scars CAN be invisible no matter where hair is taken from 

Edited by elduterino

I had the similar dilemma.. From my friends who had FUT told me that its kind of messy and more complicated with stitches and blood loss and also he mentioned even after 5 years after the surgery when he laugh he can feel the tightness at the back of his head, on the other hand FUT has better survival rate. but FUE improved a lot in recent times. So for me safer surgery was a priority and given that FUE survival is not that bad.. i went with FUE. and I am happy with it. 

On 7/15/2019 at 6:38 PM, jj51702 said:

Show us pics of your donor shaved to a zero guard. This type of misinformation will lead to newbs getting fue then realizing they can’t shave down like they had hoped.

jj, two things -- I have to say, your scars are some of the most imperceptible I've seen, so surprised to hear you say this.

I also think, however, that you have one of the best eyes for detail amongst everyone on this forum, and you would probably catch stuff that the average layperson (or even physician) would miss. Have your scars ever been noticed by someone before you told them about your surgery?

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, BjornBorg said:

I think this issue is easily solved. Can anyone provide a picture of an FUE donor shaved to zero? That looks scarless.

I obviously haven’t got my whole donor shaved but the bottom starts from a zero and I had a lot of grafts taken. 

5F54FC0C-E81F-40C1-8F34-D23950B0551B.jpeg

• 7 months later...
On 7/26/2019 at 12:26 AM, bismarck said:

jj, two things -- I have to say, your scars are some of the most imperceptible I've seen, so surprised to hear you say this.

I also think, however, that you have one of the best eyes for detail amongst everyone on this forum, and you would probably catch stuff that the average layperson (or even physician) would miss. Have your scars ever been noticed by someone before you told them about your surgery?

Wat? I’ve never shared my pics with you, or have I?