Dryness during Hair Shedding Phase

Hi guys,

I'm just over 3 weeks post-op and notice a significant amount of shedding. I know this is normal, I just have a fear that perhaps follicles might die or something (don't know if I'm being too paranoid or not).

I've noticed over the past 2-3 days a sort of very soft crust over my transplanted right temple area. It's easy to peel away, and often has a hair or two attached. I'm concerned that if I "just leave" it there that I will be doing damage to follicles. At the same time, I don't want to be too aggressive and create a red "rawness" in the area that could also prove damaging.

Should I just keep the area moisturized or do nothing at all? How have you dealt with this, if at all?

Thanks!

During a procedure the doctor is working in and around the native hair. Based on your post, it seems, you had a good amount of native hair before the transplant.  This hair is "bothered" and sheds.  It typically returns along with the transplanted one. I would encourage you to talk to the doctor about doing PRP, or Rogaine, or Laser to help prompt the native hair to return sooner.  In rare cases the hair does not return.  This happens when the hair was meant to be lost anyway.

If you've been diligent with hygiene and washed off the crusts, there should be none by now.  Perhaps it is something unrelated to the transplant.  Have the doctor look at it.

First off, you need to really follow up with your doctor on these questions and include pictures. They are most familiar with you scalp and hair.

with that said, at about 10 days post op your grafts are secure to your scalp and would need to be surgically removed to dislodge them. You can wash your scalp normally and massage those areas where there is buildup. Keep the area clean. Do you have any pictures? I can’t say if it’s leftover crusting or a scalp condition that is flared up like seborrheic dermatitis.

shedding from week 2-4 is very normal after a transplant. Personally I began shedding right around week 2 and by week 4-5 I had lost more than 95% of my hairs. Likely they are just the shafts that are shedding and the roots are safely under your skin resting and awaiting to start making new shafts in a few months.