Hasson & Wong negative reviews

I recently had a skype interview with Dr. Wong. Nice guy, made me feel at ease, said all the right things.

I felt comfortable with him, and am pretty close to booking a procedure with him. I recently googled H & W, and quite a few horror stories online. Stories about patients being double booked, surgeons disappearing during procedures, aggressive sales tactics. 

This is my second, and most probably, last procedure. Not sure if i will recover if i botch this by selecting the wrong surgeon. Been there, done that. 

I need some advice from all the wonderful people here. How are Hasson and Wong viewed in the hair transplant community? Am i in good hands? 

Should i stick to someone in the States?

Thanks. Really counting on some feedback.

I looked into Dr. Konior. Amazing results, but too expensive.

Is it true that he is one of the few surgeons who does the implants in the recipient area himself? Most others use technicians.

I have heard that as well, though Dr. Konior does excellent work.  I know he does the surgical part of the procedure and placing too. Another one I’ve heard that also does the same is Dr. Gabel in Portland(I think he trained or learned from Dr. K), they both seem to have consistently excellent results and reviews. I know when I have mine done in a few years it’ll be one who is ISHRS certified.. heard too many horror stories about HT gone wrong to take a chance!

3 hours ago, zach0786 said:

Is being a member of ISHRS really that big a deal?

It is a big deal for the doctors that get tested.  They must show their work, photos, etc....Now, for the ones that are just there to learn etc....I don't think so.  A few years ago I was invited to attend the show. I recall noticing young doctors from a foreign land embracing well known US doctors. taking photos, etc.  They were speaking their own language among each other and it was evident to me that they spoke 0 English.  Months later I saw a caption indicating that these same doctors were promoting themselves in their own country, showing the photo they had taken at the show and indicating that they'd been trained by the doctor depicted in the photo. Sad.

12 hours ago, zach0786 said:

Looks like Hasson is a member of ISHRS but DR. Wong isn't. Although he received a golden follicle award from ISHRS in 2011.

Is being a member of ISHRS really that big a deal?

ISHRS membership is a good start but to be honest I’ve seen several docs who have membership (in some cases they are even fellows within the organization) yet don’t have the best results. It’s not like ishrs membership is exclusive and they turn doctors away. There’s also the ABHRS where at least you need to pass a test to be certified (but again being able to pass a test does not mean the doctor has good surgical skills). 

Tbh this is a crap industry as bad if not worse than most of the medical cosmetic industry. As a consumer, you need to do A LOT of research to find a good doctor that meets your criteria. Meet the doctor in person, meet former patients, make sure they have a good portfolio of cases, make sure you agree with their donor management and design strategy. Research research research and do not jump into surgery too fast.

1 hour ago, jj51702 said:

ISHRS membership is a good start but to be honest I’ve seen several docs who have membership (in some cases they are even fellows within the organization) yet don’t have the best results. It’s not like ishrs membership is exclusive and they turn doctors away. There’s also the ABHRS where at least you need to pass a test to be certified (but again being able to pass a test does not mean the doctor has good surgical skills). 

Tbh this is a crap industry as bad if not worse than most of the medical cosmetic industry. As a consumer, you need to do A LOT of research to find a good doctor that meets your criteria. Meet the doctor in person, meet former patients, make sure they have a good portfolio of cases, make sure you agree with their donor management and design strategy. Research research research and do not jump into surgery too fast.

Agree with this. To be honest, I personally no longer put too much weight on ISHRS/IAHRS membership. Yes can be a useful reference point but my own view is their own interests and agendas override everything else.

Like jj51702 has suggested, first and foremost you have a duty to do your own due diligence and scrutinise prospective surgeons/clinics as thoroughly as possible.

6 hours ago, Zaagirad said:

I had a great experience with Dr. Hasson for 6200 FUT in April.

Single session ? i would be lucky if i get half that number.

Do you have a thread of your progress?

After doing some more research, I agree with those of you who said they don't put too much weight into the certifications when it comes to this particular field.

Certain fields like internal medicine and cardiology "require" certifications. That's not the case with hair transplants.

Besides, Dr. Wong received an award from ISHRS, and his results overall are astounding. I read a couple bad reviews, but that's not uncommon even with the best doctors.

i am going back and forth between Dr. Wong and Dr. Konior. Konior does everything himself, from what i have heard. I think Wong has technicians, which is the common practice in most places. For about 3,000 grafts, i would be paying about $6,000 more with Konior.

Tough one.

I wouldn't go for this clinic if the surgeon isn't deeply involved in every single step of the surgery. If you have done your research you will see clearly that these types have nearly a 100% success rate, you will very rarely see a shit result from guys like Cuoto, Konior or Pinto because they are all extremely meticulous and involved in every single step of the surgery, their surgical protocol is vastly superior to the tech run clinics. 

Don't be stupid and try to save money, if it's an all or nothing type deal then the only name I would ever consider would be Konior, after that either Nadimi or Couto or Pinto if you are willing to wait several years. 

Edited by Payam

2 minutes ago, Payam said:

I wouldn't go for this clinic if the surgeon isn't deeply involved in every single step of the surgery. If you have done your research you will see clearly that these types have nearly a 100% success rate, you will very rarely see a shit result from guys like Cuoto, Konior or Pinto because they are all extremely meticulous and involved in every single step of the surgery, their surgical protocol is vastly superior to the tech run clinics. 

Don't be stupid and try to save money, if it's an all or nothing type deal then the only name I would ever consider would be Konior, after that either Nadimi or Couto or Pinto if you are willing to wait several years. 

several years? is that the wait time for these doctors?

You are right. Just called his office and Konior wait time is almost a year.

I don't mind waiting if the difference between Dr. Wong and Dr. Konior is that significant, but my question is, is it really that huge a difference between the results?

Worth waiting a year, possibly even longer?

1 hour ago, zach0786 said:

You are right. Just called his office and Konior wait time is almost a year.

I don't mind waiting if the difference between Dr. Wong and Dr. Konior is that significant, but my question is, is it really that huge a difference between the results?

Worth waiting a year, possibly even longer?

I was in this position a year or two ago and decided the wait was worth it. The way I saw it, Konior's hands on approach made the odds of a home run result just a little bit higher. But it's probably something like a 98% chance vs 99.9% -- even though H&W use technicians and book multiple surgeries per day, they are widely considered to be one of the best clinics in the world.

Waiting a year is frustrating, but keep in mind a hair transplant affects the way you look for the rest of your life.

10 minutes ago, RecessionProof said:

I was in this position a year or two ago and decided the wait was worth it. The way I saw it, Konior's hands on approach made the odds of a home run result just a little bit higher. But it's probably something like a 98% chance vs 99.9% -- even though H&W use technicians and book multiple surgeries per day, they are widely considered to be one of the best clinics in the world.

Waiting a year is frustrating, but keep in mind a hair transplant affects the way you look for the rest of your life.

Good way to put it. Small difference, but every bit matters. 

Did you end up going with Dr. Konior? 

I called his office, he even schedules the consults himself. Very unusual, but hands-on from beginning to finish, apparently. I have decided to have a consult with Dr. Konior, and depending on how that goes, i think i am open to waiting a year or so.

I definitely understand the tech versus minimal tech involvement, but at the end of the day, no one can argue how incredibly consistent H&W's work is. I don't know if people can really say there are much better alternatives, I thought it was pretty well accepted that H&W are amongst the elite of the elite.

Were you going with FUE or FUT

17 hours ago, zach0786 said:

Single session ? i would be lucky if i get half that number.

Do you have a thread of your progress?

I've thought about making a thread. I supposed I could do one if there is interest. I'm a big time diffused thinner so we didn't even tackle the crown area. 

Also, it was one session. I was there from 7:30 until 7:30pm at night.

3 hours ago, Zaagirad said:

I've thought about making a thread. I supposed I could do one if there is interest. I'm a big time diffused thinner so we didn't even tackle the crown area. 

Also, it was one session. I was there from 7:30 until 7:30pm at night.

i would love to follow your progress. it would really help me out