18 Days post op...what are these bumps?

Sam818

Hi everyone. I am 18 days post op with 1500 grafts in the hairline + PRP. Everything went smoothly the first 2 weeks. The scabs came off nicely mostly in the shower and I looked good. But over the last week while the shedding has started I’ve noticed these tiny bumps appear all around my recipient area. They don’t itch at all. I’ve contacted the surgeon and I am awaiting the response still. Should I be panicking right now?

3389D597-4B4C-4038-A7BA-E1AD4B6902A1.jpeg

B96C0BD5-6EB3-4E12-BEA4-4B2D49124566.jpeg

Hi Sam, 

No need to panic now. You did the right thing by contacting your doctor. He/she will be able to advise you most accurately on what may be happening and hopefully see you in the office for evaluation and treatment (if necessary). 

Have you noticed any other changes? Does the area feel warm? Any cold-like symptoms (fever, headache, chills, et cetera)? 

This could be something as simple as normal healing for your physiology. It also could be inflammation from a variety of causes. I would not do anything for now aside from checking for the response from your doctor and then following his/her advice carefully. 

Keep us updated. 

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

No I haven’t had any of those symptoms at all. Everything was going great until these bumps became more prominent. And it really became more noticeable where it got my attention at the worst time on the 4th so my doctors office was unavailable and I’ve had nothing but scary google searches to keep my mind racing over the weekend. The only good thing about it was I found this website.

Hi Sam, 

Definitely resist the urge to Google. At best, you will find some pseudo-related information that will scare you; at worst,  you will find absurdly unrelated things which will make you panic. And in the end, it will probably be nothing even closely related to what you find. Not worth the stress. Just try not to focus on it too much and wait for the doctor's reply. 

Good luck. 

• Like 2

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I wholeheartedly support you staying off of Google while you wait on your doctor's response. Not only will it not change anything in terms of what sort of action you may need to take, but it's so easy to incorrectly self-diagnose ourselves and catastrophize everything. Trust Dr. Bloxham, take some deep breathes, and wait on your doctor to get back to you. 

• Like 1

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

On 7/8/2019 at 3:14 PM, Dr Blake Bloxham said:

Hi Sam, 

Definitely resist the urge to Google. At best, you will find some pseudo-related information that will scare you; at worst,  you will find absurdly unrelated things which will make you panic. And in the end, it will probably be nothing even closely related to what you find. Not worth the stress. Just try not to focus on it too much and wait for the doctor's reply. 

Good luck. 

3 hours ago, pkipling said:

I wholeheartedly support you staying off of Google while you wait on your doctor's response. Not only will it not change anything in terms of what sort of action you may need to take, but it's so easy to incorrectly self-diagnose ourselves and catastrophize everything. Trust Dr. Bloxham, take some deep breathes, and wait on your doctor to get back to you. 

Couldn’t agree more. Avoid google and self diagnosing. It will drive you nuts!

2 hours ago, Sam818 said:

Thanks for the input. It’s hard to avoid googling and self diagnosing when you’re doctors office doesn’t respond to you at all though. 

Then maybe it’s time for you to Name & Shame them on here.

3 hours ago, Sam818 said:

Thanks for the input. It’s hard to avoid googling and self diagnosing when you’re doctors office doesn’t respond to you at all though. 

If they’re not getting back to you through email then you need to try and escalate. Phone call would be a good next step or contact others within the clinic such as the head nurse, patient coordinator, etc. 

otherwise go ahead and reveal the clinic/doc and maybe the mods here ca help you get a response if it’s once of the doctors affiliated with this site.

On 7/9/2019 at 7:44 PM, Sam818 said:

I feel you... Have you called daily and requested that they commit to an exact time to call you? Be assertive and use your voice. And if for whatever reason they still don't respond, then you can try other approaches. 

And should they continue putting off getting back to you, you're still much better off reaching out to another qualified surgeon and getting their input on the matter than by going to Google. Really hoping you get some answers soon. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

I got a hold of my surgeon finally. He prescribed me antibiotics. It’s gotten better but I’m still scared about my skin condition I know it’s not normal. I guess my only hope is the hair grows out thick and covers it. If not I’m in trouble. I actually called Dr. Mohebi’s office and wanted to schedule an appointment with him just for his opinion but he’s on vacation. I was prepared for the ugly duckling phase not the Chernobyl victim phase.

20 hours ago, Sam818 said:

I got a hold of my surgeon finally. He prescribed me antibiotics. It’s gotten better but I’m still scared about my skin condition I know it’s not normal. I guess my only hope is the hair grows out thick and covers it. If not I’m in trouble. I actually called Dr. Mohebi’s office and wanted to schedule an appointment with him just for his opinion but he’s on vacation. I was prepared for the ugly duckling phase not the Chernobyl victim phase.

Reach out to me personally if things don't clear up and I'll get in touch with the office regarding his schedule. Really hoping things shape up though for you soon so that's it's not an issue. Glad you were able to at least take some action in the meantime.