PRP with Acell or without?

vinzaf19

Has anyone had PRP without Acell in the crown area? My crown is thinning and have heard PRP can really help in slowing or stopping the hair loss. Just wondering who’s had it and what your experience was? I’ve also heard doing it with Acell is better to, but it’s more expensive too.

On 7/8/2019 at 2:59 PM, vinzaf19 said:

Has anyone had PRP without Acell in the crown area? My crown is thinning and have heard PRP can really help in slowing or stopping the hair loss. Just wondering who’s had it and what your experience was? I’ve also heard doing it with Acell is better to, but it’s more expensive too.

I’ll see if I can get more info for you. I had PRP with Acell done about 10 days ago. I had a terrible allergic reaction about 48 hours post injections. My doc says he’s seen one other patient that was actually allergic to Acell. With that in mind I go to see him this Thursday and will ask these exact questions. Going to see if the PRP is still recommended without it. I’ll let you know what he says. 

I don’t believe though the addition of Acell should be cost prohibitive if it is effective.

15 hours ago, Shmiggy said:

I’ll see if I can get more info for you. I had PRP with Acell done about 10 days ago. I had a terrible allergic reaction about 48 hours post injections. My doc says he’s seen one other patient that was actually allergic to Acell. With that in mind I go to see him this Thursday and will ask these exact questions. Going to see if the PRP is still recommended without it. I’ll let you know what he says. 

I don’t believe though the addition of Acell should be cost prohibitive if it is effective.

Have the symptoms gone away? How did you deal with that? Benadryl or other antihistamine possibly? Thank you sir! Hopefully it goes well for you!

I've had it, with some pretty good results. I've got some photos floating around in a couple of threads here if you want a look. I'm seven months out and still seeing improvements although I would say the results were quickest and most dramatic between 3-6 months after. Right now I'm in more of a maturation phase. I also didn't opt to get a boost treatment although I've seen enough to suggest that could help around the six month mark or so. I did have Acell with mine which I am told extends the lifespan of results and means you don't have to go in for follow up treatments as frequently. In my case I was told every twelve months with an optional booster shot at six to help any areas I thought needed a kick in the pants.

Edit: Mine was done by Dr. Arocha and just like with transplants you want to investigate a doctor's results before choosing who to go with because it is not standardized AT ALL.

Edited by Mycroft

23 hours ago, vinzaf19 said:

Have the symptoms gone away? How did you deal with that? Benadryl or other antihistamine possibly? Thank you sir! Hopefully it goes well for you!

I was prescribed a 12 day course of Prednisone along with Benadryl and a Caladryl lotion. It’s subsided quite a bit, but hands and feet are still red and itchy, just not nearly as bad as last week. It took a good 3 days of treatment to get substantial relief.

Just finished my follow up regarding the rash post PRP. Nothing definitive can be determined, but he’s seen one reaction in the last 4 years. However the rash was limited to the scalp and lasted about a month. My rash was much more pronounced on my extremities and my scalp now looks normal. He’s going to follow up with the manufacturer as well as the rep for the anticoagulant used in the process. Again it’s quite possible my reaction was coincidental. I’ll let you know when I hear more.

The ACell definitely increases the efficacy of the PRP, however PRP without it is still effective. He continued treatments on the previous patient and saw results, just not as pronounced.  Of course each person will respond differently.