Warning about "custom hair techniques" by Dr. Lindsey

In this short video we discuss a recent patient who came for a visit...he'd had 2 previous transplants and was educated. He also shopped with a local new competitor who advertises a custom procedure at their office...that sounds all the world like old style minigrafts. Indeed another less fortunate fellow who'd not done his research showed up with results that looked not like FUE but like the minigrafts we all did in the early 1990's. SO watch out.

Dr. Lindsey 
McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

It is mind-boggling to see this technique make a comeback. However, I can confirm that is is happening.

I have repaired probably about half a dozen or so of them over the past 2 years. All following the same pattern you describe: a clinic taking a strip, cutting it into something between a mini-graft and what I consider a small plug, making gigantic holes spread very far apart, and implanting these under the guise that this is a special technique which provides superior results. And while I am always interested in different approaches, I think this method was surpassed by follicular unit grafting for a reason and I have been very unimpressed with that I have seen in person. 

A very important video with some good recommendations; particularly about looking for comb-through HD video results. I highly recommend all patients ask to see these. It is so easy to film and upload quality video in 2019. All smart phones essentially have the capability to capture excellent video and this can be uploaded to YouTube, Vimeo, etc, with the clinic of a button. There really is no excuse not to have this. Do yourself a favor and ask to see it! 

Edited by Dr Blake Bloxham

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.