Alcohol and recreational post FUT

alin5

Hi all. 

I wondered if you might be able to answer a question for me without judgment. What’s the advice for post op FUT regarding alcohol and recreational drugs such as cocaine. 

Does everything need to be avoided. How long for? Any experiences?

thanks in advance 

• Administrators

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Alin, 

I tell patients they can resume alcohol intake starting post-operative day 4. The real reason to avoid alcohol is because it thins the blood. You do not want thin blood during a procedure, nor do you want it with thousands of open incisions and possibly excisions (FUE) in the few days after surgery. 

Each clinic is different, however, and you should follow your doctor's post-operative instructions as closely as possible. 

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Every doctor is going to have a slightly different answer for the alcohol question in regards to how long you need to wait. Listen to what your doctor says and weigh that against other common answers you see. I would at least way 5 days or so for the aforementioned reasons of the blood thinning. 

As for the cocaine, I doubt there are any studies done on this and it will be even trickier to get a clear answer on this than it is the alcohol. Personally, I would play it safe and wait a couple weeks before partaking. The risk isn't worth the reward, imo. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56