Help! I Have Traction Alopecia

• Administrators

Traction Alopecia is a terrible condition that affects mostly women, I would love for the community to read this question that I recently received and provide your input. Back story, she is 21 and has to wear a ponytail because her employer does not allow her to wear her hair short. Help! I Have Traction Alopecia

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Extensive loss.....I gather it is the same on the other side.  Seems there is a lot of miniaturized hair as well.  My first thought is to start Laser therapy and consider PRP. It seems the overall quality of the hair is on the "fine" side and the PRP may help strengthen all of that.  And, that in itself, means that she will need more grafts than someone with courser hair.

Visit with a hair transplant doctor so they can look at the donor and confirm candidacy.  Seems the density elsewhere is adequate and no grafts will be needed. To achieve the density she currently has will take multiple procedures depending on what the doctor recommends and what she decides to do per procedure.  In cases similar to hers, I've seen recommendations of 1200-1800 grafts per procedure.  Perhaps 2 procedures of 1500 grafts each will do.  It will all depend on her density goals considering that this is one of the first areas others see when interacting.

Many would recommend she gets a full panel done to confirm there is nothing else going on.....

She may have a mild case of genetic hair loss and the traction of the hair is one of the worse things to do to hair that is already diffusing.

I would recommend that she get a number of opinions for resolve.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY