Derma roller questions

Thinking of getting this derma roller from Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/SEEYC-Titanium-Rollers-,Silicone-Disinfecting/dp/B07GCZVQ4B - is it suitable in helping to maintain or even thicken hair density? I'm male, and looking at applying it to my thinning temples and Norwood 3 hair.

A derma pen also sounds good, but it much more expensive, and there are fewer reviews, plus I want to trial it out.

A few questions:

1: Do any here have before and after pictures to see if their hair density has stabilized or even thickened?

2: I'll probably start off with the 0.5mm, then probably move on to the 1mm and MAYBE 1.5mm if I'm feeling really brave. Do the needles need to fully penetrate the scalp to their maximum length? Have any studies compared different mm lengths?

3: For 1mm, Is treatment once a fortnight sufficient? This site says it shouldn't be more frequent than once every 10 days.

The following questions assume 1mm treatment:

4: Should I disinfect my scalp with 70% alcohol before treatment? The aforementioned site says you do need to, but that may not be for the scalp. I'd rather just wash my hair beforehand thoroughly.

5: Should I use any cream after treatment? Can I rinse with water after treatment?

6: Do I go over even the vaguely thinning patches of my hair, or just over the moderately to very thin patches?

7: Do I roll over the same patch just once, or 4-16 times using different directions? Diagonals too, or just horizontal/vertically?

8: Do I need to moisturize my scalp for hours or days after treatment?

9: Do I have to be wary about going out in the sun for some days after treatment? That aforementioned site said "If you’re planning on using 1.0 mm needles or anything longer, then you really need to avoid excessive sun exposure a week before rolling, and two weeks post treatment.".

10: Looking to use it in combination with Minoxidil. Is it okay to wait 24 hours after microneedling before applying Minoxidil to the 1mm treated areas?

Edited by hair4tomo

That microneedling link you linked is info for microneedling on the face not scalp so information is slightly different.

But in short:

Dermaroll 1 time a week using a 1-1.5mm roller/stamp/pen

Wait 24/hours to apply minoxidil.

Take photos to monitor your progress.

Edited by CosmoKramer

On 7/2/2019 at 6:18 AM, CosmoKramer said:

Wait 24/hours to apply minoxidil.

Take photos to monitor your progress.

Thanks. Any need for scalp sterilization before with alcohol or after with cream/moisterizer? Also question number 7 if you know that.

Edited by hair4tomo

4 minutes ago, hair4tomo said:

Thanks. Any need for scalp sterilization before with alcohol or after with cream/moisterizer? Also question number 7 if you know that.

You’re welcome.

Yes, it’s definitely recommended to clean/sterilize your scalp before any microneedling. I make sure I don’t have any hair styling products in my hair and use a saline mist spray all over then just use an alcohol pad to wipe the areas I microneedle. You can buy a box of alcohol pads/swabs they’re inexpensive for a lot of a hundred or so, and after microneedling I use the same spray my scalp with saline spray and wipe with alcohol pad, I wait til dry an hour or so then apply minoxidil but that is now and for me in not noticing side effects at this stage so I still recommend waiting 12-24 hours after microneedling to apply minoxidil if sensitive to it.

I don’t apply any cream or moisturizer, the saline spray naturally moisturizes my scalp.

for #7, I use a pen and stamp all over and return to the same area a couple times, for a roller yes you go in different directions each area from what I’ve read.

Good Luck

Cheers for the info. I managed to find some good alcohol wipes on Amazon (100 for £2).

Any thoughts on using the alcohol pad before the saline spray (prior to or after rolling), or does it not matter? Also maybe missing out the saline spray altogether? I found saline spray on Amazon, but I think it's mostly meant for the nose? E.g: https://www.amazon.co.uk/NeilMed-nm-reg-enu-us-NasaMist-Saline-Spray/dp/B000ITMKQ0

I use 1.5mm once a week. Wash my hair beforehand with nizoral, put conditioner, wash it, blow dry, submerge derma roller in 70% isopropyl rubbing alcohol for 10-15 min, roll all over my head, put back in the same rubbing alcohol for 15 min and put back to container. Not using any wipes. I've got some holes that are making a hole size bleeding, but it doesn't hurt or something. I do this routine before bed. Next morning I just wash my hair with water, blow dry and ready to go. No problems so far. 5 months in.

Edited by Rolandas
  • Like 1

1st FUE28/01/2020 - 3659 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira
2nd FUE - 03/06/2021 - 2881 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira

Follow me on YouTube

I'm not a medical professional, thus any information given by me is my own observation and should not be treated as professional advice.

On 7/2/2019 at 3:15 PM, CosmoKramer said:

I would not purchase the one you linked, I would purchase a derma stamp or pen instead.

Go on the Tressless Reddit page any you’ll find your answers to your specific questions.

Good luck.

Hey Cosmo,

Just wondering why you would advise to use a stamp/pen over the roller?

I've got a roller, but didn't look too much into the different types.

Thanks mate :)

41 minutes ago, Greg_Swanson said:

Hey Cosmo,

Just wondering why you would advise to use a stamp/pen over the roller?

I've got a roller, but didn't look too much into the different types.

Thanks mate :)

Be advised.... this is just my experience but I used to order cheap rollers through eBay and upon close inspection I noticed many of the needles had bent tips. I recommend ordering a high quality roller or other device as recommended here. From my experience, you get what you pay for.