Top 3 Things Your Hair Transplant Surgeon Should Be

• Administrators

I posted up my top 3, but what do you guys think did I leave any out?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Spanker said:

Honest, realistic, competent 

This is a huge one! In fact, I have noticed there have been a lot of dissatisfied patients, as of late because they're not being realistic. This does fall on the surgeon as well. There needs to be clear communication about what they should be expecting in terms of results.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• Administrators
47 minutes ago, LaserCap said:

Artist, Brilliant, Ethical

Yes, ethics is very important, the industry as a whole has lacked ethics for quite some time.

View my thread

2 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Yes, ethics is very important, the industry as a whole has lacked ethics for quite some time.

Agree...in all fronts, as a matter of fact.  From doctors, consultants, clinical staff and even marketing companies which we seldom discuss.

• Administrators
32 minutes ago, Phil36fromaus said:

I'd probably classify some of the suggestions under various headings;

1. ETHICS: honest, setting realistic and attainable goals based on your individual case, patient care

2. SKILLS: consistency, years of experience, versatile enough to assess or accomodate any patient (meaning FUT and FUE capable), good yields with low transections. 

3. RESULTS; artistry, naturalness

4. HOT TECHS; why does there have to be only 3?

There should be more I agree!

View my thread

If the goals are realistic and the surgeon works within the patient's limitations, then the individual is almost always happy with the end result providing the surgeon is skilled.

Too many times the patient has unrealistic goals and the surgeon simply accommodates the patient verbally speaking knowing the goal is not attainable.

So ethics are critical in the evaluation process so the patient does not end up dissatisfied and everyone is on the same page.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Good video. But the 1st point doesn't always work that way in all countries.

Many of the HT doctors were from 2 main specialties plastic surgeons and dermatologists. The later usually are more of FUE experts. There are obviously some of the top names who changed specialty and moved on directly to HT field.

Thing is, regarding the 1st type of doctors. They had to be cosmetic surgeons first and then specialize in HT (and the medical/educational system didn't allow them to specialize in HT only from start) , so for many of them they don't feel the need to stop doing other surgeries they were trained to; and I don't blame them.

Most of the top doctors in this field in my country do other surgeries and they match the other criteria. Their results is actually decent all things considered 

• Moderators
10 hours ago, gillenator said:

Too many times the patient has unrealistic goals and the surgeon simply accommodates the patient verbally speaking knowing the goal is not attainable.

While that is certainly true, there has been a lot of the opposite happening as well. The patient has done some research and decides to get a higher hairline in order to conserve grafts for the future, but the Dr convinces or pushes the patient to go with a lower, more aggressive hairline and insists that the patient will turn out fine and has plenty of donor available. Then later the patient is unhappy with the density and perhaps even the low placement of the hairline or the lack of any recession at the corners which makes it not look age appropriate. The only way to correct it is to either remove some grafts or implant more grafts which uses up more donor hair that they planned to save for later, not to mention they are now paying a lot more money then they planned on and having to go through another session that should not have been necessary. We have seen a number of these cases on this forum.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Thanks for the great video Melvin. Realistic /ethical is a big one. I am sure most surgeons who see a lot of hair consults can give you a figure of how many patients they refuse performing surgery on because of unmatched expectations. We do see a lot of advanced NW or poor donors that we reject simply because their expectations are high and can not be changed. It says a lot when a surgeon turns down a case because they think it is not going to deliver the client their desired results.

Ofcourse the other points are extremely as important

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Contact me via WhatsApp at +962798378396 (Jordan) 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

6 hours ago, BeHappy said:

While that is certainly true, there has been a lot of the opposite happening as well. The patient has done some research and decides to get a higher hairline in order to conserve grafts for the future, but the Dr convinces or pushes the patient to go with a lower, more aggressive hairline and insists that the patient will turn out fine and has plenty of donor available. Then later the patient is unhappy with the density and perhaps even the low placement of the hairline or the lack of any recession at the corners which makes it not look age appropriate. The only way to correct it is to either remove some grafts or implant more grafts which uses up more donor hair that they planned to save for later, not to mention they are now paying a lot more money then they planned on and having to go through another session that should not have been necessary. We have seen a number of these cases on this forum.

Yess, the overall medical étnitics is not being assummed as it dues to in every specific cases. Sometimes better work can be done and doctor justifies the missing by saying its not possible to take more grafts from there or we have to keep more hairs left for the future but in deed what he or she is looking for is for another proceduce for more money jjj

2 hours ago, DrTBarghouthi said:

Thanks for the great video Melvin. Realistic /ethical is a big one. I am sure most surgeons who see a lot of hair consults can give you a figure of how many patients they refuse performing surgery on because of unmatched expectations. We do see a lot of advanced NW or poor donors that we reject simply because their expectations are high and can not be changed. It says a lot when a surgeon turns down a case because they think it is not going to deliver the client their desired results.

Ofcourse the other points are extremely as important

Clients expectations must be considered while understanding the doctors credict and fame

On 7/1/2019 at 10:08 PM, Phil36fromaus said:

I'd probably classify some of the suggestions under various headings;

1. ETHICS: honest, setting realistic and attainable goals based on your individual case, patient care

2. SKILLS: consistency, years of experience, versatile enough to assess or accomodate any patient (meaning FUT and FUE capable), good yields with low transections. 

3. RESULTS; artistry, naturalness

4. HOT TECHS; why does there have to be only 3?

4. No more than 3 can fit around the chair, 2 on each side and one in the back.

• Haha 1

• Administrators
14 hours ago, harry_potter1 said:

Good video. But the 1st point doesn't always work that way in all countries.

Many of the HT doctors were from 2 main specialties plastic surgeons and dermatologists. The later usually are more of FUE experts. There are obviously some of the top names who changed specialty and moved on directly to HT field.

Thing is, regarding the 1st type of doctors. They had to be cosmetic surgeons first and then specialize in HT (and the medical/educational system didn't allow them to specialize in HT only from start) , so for many of them they don't feel the need to stop doing other surgeries they were trained to; and I don't blame them.

Most of the top doctors in this field in my country do other surgeries and they match the other criteria. Their results is actually decent all things considered 

I think there’s a difference between a hair transplant surgeon who performs other procedures, and a plastic surgeon who does hair transplants. The ladder should be avoided.

View my thread

Completely agree!

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Trustworthy, reputable, skilled. 😎 

(I like this game lol) 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56