2000 Grafts FUT - Dr. Diep - June 2019

On 7/5/2019 at 3:54 PM, shookwon33 said:

Shouldn't you not buzz the recipient area at all for least like 2-3 months post op? I hear it could potentially damage the follicle by pulling

The first 72 hours are the most crucial in terms of making sure the grafts are securely anchored. After that time, the risk of them dislodging decreases dramatically, and continues to do so day by day, leaving them completely secure by Day 10. This is based on a study by Dr. Bernstein and Dr. Rassman. 

That said, when I mentioned I buzzed mine, I simply - and very carefully - buzzed around the recipient area so that the hairs were uniform and would all grow in evenly. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

I noticed everyone that gets a FUT from Dr. Diep, including me had that band of abrasion across our foreheads. Is that some kind of retraint he puts on us to hold us still while he does the FUT..? I've always been curious about that, but didn't think to ask them.

Edited by SWdan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am having FUT with Dr. Diep in a few weeks and have been offered three options about which I will appreciate any feedback. These options are:
1. Injection of high dose corticosteroid to reduce swelling

2. ACell injection

3. Amniofill

My hunch is that Amniofill is for FUE donor area and perhaps irrelaevant. I have gotten corticosteroid shots a number of times for poison oak and seasonal allergies. They were always effective and caused no problems. I am not sure about the ACell. I have an area of thinning that still produces long hair that light can shine through and I am thinking that he may suggest ACELL there in lieu of graft. 

Again, all comments are welcome. 

4 hours ago, JohnTinsley said:

I am having FUT with Dr. Diep in a few weeks and have been offered three options about which I will appreciate any feedback. These options are:
1. Injection of high dose corticosteroid to reduce swelling

2. ACell injection

3. Amniofill

My hunch is that Amniofill is for FUE donor area and perhaps irrelaevant. I have gotten corticosteroid shots a number of times for poison oak and seasonal allergies. They were always effective and caused no problems. I am not sure about the ACell. I have an area of thinning that still produces long hair that light can shine through and I am thinking that he may suggest ACELL there in lieu of graft. 

Again, all comments are welcome. 

My thinking is if you’re already paying so much for the HT with Diep why not pay a tiny bit more to potentially optimize results? I had my FUE with Diep 2 months ago and had amnio and aCell added for $1000

Thanks for your input. The issue for me is not the money. I tend to be leery of new medications as it seems like frequently we learn later on about negative effects. Did you get an injection to reduce swelling? I am inclined to get that. 

11 hours ago, JohnTinsley said:

Thanks for your input. The issue for me is not the money. I tend to be leery of new medications as it seems like frequently we learn later on about negative effects. Did you get an injection to reduce swelling? I am inclined to get that. 

I didn't opt for the A-Cell. Dr. Diep gave me an injection in each shoulder for swelling, no extra cost. I had swelling roll down my temples, but it really wasn't too bad. I took the pills they gave me for swelling also.  Gone in 4 or 5 days. 

• Administrators
15 hours ago, SWdan said:

I didn't opt for the A-Cell. Dr. Diep gave me an injection in each shoulder for swelling, no extra cost. I had swelling roll down my temples, but it really wasn't too bad. I took the pills they gave me for swelling also.  Gone in 4 or 5 days. 

Wow that was a nice of him. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 1 month later...

3 month update:

Well I finally caved and buzzed my hair down so it was all the same length cuz it was starting to look odd with these short patches in front. Anywho, very happy with the hairline and progress this far, still needs to fill in a little but I'm happy and don't think I've had a hairline like this since I was a kid.

The donor area is pretty rough though and I have to wear a hat until the hair back there can cover it again.

I was always planning on growing it out though so no biggie there.

IMG_20190925_131534.thumb.jpg.5527014f7cb2c108b9ec8f3c43f2714c.jpgIMG_20190925_131654.thumb.jpg.439ae0afcc36c3f00eace32e8042b403.jpgIMG_20190925_131702.thumb.jpg.c2dafceceaa498a532eebc1265751cb9.jpg

• Administrators

Yes, the donor does look a little rough. Those other scars are not from hair transplant surgery right?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• Administrators
1 minute ago, chiadude said:

The small thin one underneath the current one is from my first procedure from another doctor.

That makes sense. I have a feeling that the scar may end up looking the same. Hopefully it improves. I'm eager to see how your recipient grows in thanks for keeping us posted.

View my thread

On 9/25/2019 at 7:33 PM, Melvin-Moderator said:

That makes sense. I have a feeling that the scar may end up looking the same. Hopefully it improves. I'm eager to see how your recipient grows in thanks for keeping us posted.

I would be surprised if that scar matured and contracted to the extent that it appeared the same as the other one. Tbh, I feel as though this is the 2nd recent Dr Diep FUT scar that’s looked pretty rough.

I do, however, think the transplanted area is going to look good. Keeping my fingers crossed for the OP. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Month 7+ Update

Sorry for the delay. Well, overall I'm pretty happy with the hairline Dr. Diep has created, but I think the transplanted hair is still fairly... Wispy. I can definitely tell that the hair in those areas are much thinner and separated from each other. I've been putting hair gel in and slicked back it looks good and more uniform, but I don't like going out without it. I'm hoping for the best as I know theres still a few more months until I hit the year mark.

IMG_20200206_191321830.jpg

IMG_20200206_191318426.jpg

IMG_20200206_191315592.jpg

IMG_20200206_191410449.jpg

• Like 1

How’s the donor scar?  

• Administrators

Yea, at 7 months the hairs haven’t matured yet. Expect some additional thickening and maturation in the coming months.

View my thread