I hate my over harvested donor area, I want to kill myself

I had a FUE surgery that over harvested my donor. The whole donor area is now incredibly thin and i'm having a lot of trouble hiding the thinness. What really sucks is that there is no effective way to repair it.  I've tried SMP and it looked OK initially, but the color of the SMP faded too fast, and now the ink doesn't match the color of my original hair. I've also tried dermarollers, hair supplements, laser combs, hair shakes, but all of these do NOTHING for areas where hair was surgically removed. 

i've considered body hair transplant but it seems ridiculous to me, body hair does not match the scalp hair, the texture is different, it grows at a different rate. I used to be so outgoing and care free, but now i've become so paranoid about the scars on the back of my head. hair transplant has been the biggest regret of my life. i would gladly pay 1 million dollars to be given a second chance and never get a hair transplant. 

Be careful of doctors that try to sell you on FUE. It is definitely not scarless. 

Very sorry to hear of this...do you have any pics that you could share?...if you are not comfortable with that, we understand.

Do you have a fair amount of beard donor that could potentially be used for a DRT procedure?

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

1 hour ago, karnas said:

I had a FUE surgery that over harvested my donor. The whole donor area is now incredibly thin and i'm having a lot of trouble hiding the thinness. What really sucks is that there is no effective way to repair it.  I've tried SMP and it looked OK initially, but the color of the SMP faded too fast, and now the ink doesn't match the color of my original hair. I've also tried dermarollers, hair supplements, laser combs, hair shakes, but all of these do NOTHING for areas where hair was surgically removed. 

i've considered body hair transplant but it seems ridiculous to me, body hair does not match the scalp hair, the texture is different, it grows at a different rate. I used to be so outgoing and care free, but now i've become so paranoid about the scars on the back of my head. hair transplant has been the biggest regret of my life. i would gladly pay 1 million dollars to be given a second chance and never get a hair transplant. 

Be careful of doctors that try to sell you on FUE. It is definitely not scarless. 

Please share pics and don't get disheartened. Don't even bring words like killing yourself to mind. All these things can be fixed by the right doctor/method.

Post pics and people here will guide you.

I’m sorry to hear that and I understand your concerns. Please share some photos so we can provide you with some feedback. How long ago was the procedure done?

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Contact me via WhatsApp at +962798378396 (Jordan) 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

Oh man, sorry about your situation, DONT give up hope!

I see you mentioned you’ve tried dermarolling but maybe give microneedling another try but this time with an electric derma pen. For a slightly thinner small area on my side I am using a derma pen and minoxidil and I am noticing improvement after 6-weeks. Also, post photos of your donor if you can to get better recommendations by the pros on here.

• Administrators

I’m very sorry to hear this, but smp and bht can certainly help. Do you mind posting pictures?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Moderators
5 hours ago, karnas said:

i've considered body hair transplant but it seems ridiculous to me, body hair does not match the scalp hair, the texture is different, it grows at a different rate.

It doesn't have to match or grow at the same rate. It doesn't have to be the same type as the rest of the hair. Everyone's hair characteristics are different and even your own head hair will differ between the back of your head, sides, and front. So while it may have different characteristics than your original donor area hair, why does it really matter? It doesn't. Besides when it's mixed in with your current hair it's even less of an issue. I've had over 3500 beard and chest grafts and it's much better to have hair than to not have hair even if it is slightly different than my original hair. Try a small session of 400 or so beard grafts to the worst areas of your donor and see how that turns out. Why just give up without even trying?

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

5 hours ago, gillenator said:

Very sorry to hear of this...do you have any pics that you could share?...if you are not comfortable with that, we understand.

Do you have a fair amount of beard donor that could potentially be used for a DRT procedure?

What is a DRT procedure? Is it the same as body hair transplant ? I have beard hair but I don't see the point because the texture is so different compared to scalp hair. 

1 hour ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I’m very sorry to hear this, but smp and bht can certainly help. Do you mind posting pictures?

i'm not comfortable to post pictures yet. Do you know any good SMP clinics ? I'm willing to travel if they consistently produce great results.  I dont have much faith in SMP after my last session, the ink color faded too fast. 

22 hours ago, Panamera13 said:

Please share pics and don't get disheartened. Don't even bring words like killing yourself to mind. All these things can be fixed by the right doctor/method.

Post pics and people here will guide you.

Nah, it's a common thought among hair transplant patients who got botched results. People spend good hard earned money, tens of thousands of dollars to improve their appearance..  and to come out with a result where you look worse than before you had any surgery?  These kinds of thoughts will drive a man crazy, it's too depressing. 

An overharvested donor can never look the way it did before. It will just look like a mess. 

Edited by karnas

23 hours ago, CosmoKramer said:

Oh man, sorry about your situation, DONT give up hope!

I see you mentioned you’ve tried dermarolling but maybe give microneedling another try but this time with an electric derma pen. For a slightly thinner small area on my side I am using a derma pen and minoxidil and I am noticing improvement after 6-weeks. Also, post photos of your donor if you can to get better recommendations by the pros on here.

you are seeing new hairs pop out in your donor area ? Or are you just seeing your remaining donor hair become thicker ? Hair that is surgically removed cannot grow back. 

Edited by karnas

2 hours ago, karnas said:

you are seeing new hairs pop out in your donor area ? Or are you just seeing your remaining donor hair become thicker ? Hair that is surgically removed cannot grow back. 

I am around 6-weeks in Of microneedling and I do notice the area seems slightly thicker and feel tiny stubble but it’s still early for new growth but I’m optimistic.

Yes, I’m aware the hair removed from my donor won’t grow back but microneedling in combination with minoxidil seems to create new hair follicles from what I’ve seen up close in other areas of my scalp (temples/hairline).

On 6/28/2019 at 2:48 PM, karnas said:

I can feel the pain man.  Dont lose hope.  There may be a way around this.  Donor destruction is real and due to wreckless extractions or those close to each other, also can be due to tools used.  This industry is extremely dangerous.  Smp in the right hands may help, however, if you can show the donor only it may help see where this can be treated.  

More and more consumer/patient protective agencies need to take notice of these things.  

I am sure your situation can be remedied in right hands.  Do not go to any beard or bht or body hair surgeon for this at tge moment as it can make things worse.  Right now, a good track plan from a good smp clinic may help.  

Should I assume that you want to wear your hair short?  If that is the case just going to a longer hairstyle would solve your problem.  I can't imagine you would have this much concern unless you want a short hairstyle.  You gave this post a rather dramatic title, which sounds like you are limiting your options, and painting yourself into a corner.  I suggest you drop the drama and flesh out your story so people can offer real advice.  You have not supplied enough data, such as how many grafts were extracted.  There are always options if you take the time to consider them, and I am not talking about body hair. 

Edited by Dazed
  • Like 1

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

6 hours ago, CosmoKramer said:

I am around 6-weeks in Of microneedling and I do notice the area seems slightly thicker and feel tiny stubble but it’s still early for new growth but I’m optimistic.

Yes, I’m aware the hair removed from my donor won’t grow back but microneedling in combination with minoxidil seems to create new hair follicles from what I’ve seen up close in other areas of my scalp (temples/hairline).

My major concern is just the thinness in my donor area. So I want to be clear, the microneedling did not help grow any NEW hairs in your DONOR area, right? 

Edited by karnas

3 hours ago, karnas said:

My major concern is just the thinness in my donor area. So I want to be clear, the microneedling did not help grow any NEW hairs in your DONOR area, right? 

Like I stated, I’m only 6-weeks in on microneedling (about 7 sessions) and started Minoxidil after the 3rd week so it’s still very early but I am seeing newly created hair follicles, I’m pretty confident in saying that they are newly formed follicles due to their emergence from the needled hole and they are rougher and thicker in form, compared to fine native hairs or hairs in the process of miniaturization.

I used my usb microscope to take some screenshots for you, it was pretty trick to see the new follicles in the donor area that I am microneedling because there is still lots of hair and it’s abount an inch long, I also took a screenshot of my long ago recessed temple area for a better example of what they look like.

Keep in mind this is very zoomed in and still only 6-week (3-weeks Minoxidil added) and early for eye visible results:

F99391CB-28D5-4C5E-B9DB-D714C9402A5C.jpeg

8DE96730-594A-42F3-8674-8ED756A4DE2D.jpeg

2353FE14-9B44-4B20-AE18-DC674E03F270.jpeg

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, CosmoKramer said:

Here is another angle, please note this is from my receded temple area.

ADBCC4EA-6D5D-4004-9955-3BE4DBF9DFBE.jpeg

Thanks for the pictures, I know microneedling can help regrow hair from natural hair loss. My question was if you saw any new growth in your donor area where the hair was surgically removed. I guess you didn’t try microneedling in your donor area ? 

1 hour ago, karnas said:

Thanks for the pictures, I know microneedling can help regrow hair from natural hair loss. My question was if you saw any new growth in your donor area where the hair was surgically removed. I guess you didn’t try microneedling in your donor area ? 

The first 2 screenshots are from my side donor area like I stated it’s tricky to capture more detail in areas with still lots of hair and it’s still early for me but even if new hair doesn’t grow due to the scar tissue i don’t see why new growth couldn’t be stimulated in the spaces in between the scars giving some density, it’s not going to happen overnight, but get a Derma Pen and be consistent and use minoxidil 24-hours on the area.

Edited by CosmoKramer

On 6/28/2019 at 5:44 PM, karnas said:

i'm not comfortable to post pictures yet. Do you know any good SMP clinics ? I'm willing to travel if they consistently produce great results.  I dont have much faith in SMP after my last session, the ink color faded too fast. 

Call Arocha, he can do a skype consult.  They trained in Italy, (Beauty Medical), and have been doing SMP for a long time.  Takes a few days as they like to do the process and then enhance it.  They do guarantee the work as well. 

On 6/29/2019 at 12:18 AM, karnas said:

Even in such a painful situation, you have had the heart to share your experience with others and help them learn. You should be very proud of yourself that you have the courage and resilience to battle such a situation. I know that it must have altered your appearance and it must be so frustrating. But please don't hate yourself for it or take it to your heart. After all, it is just hair. I hope you find the correct measures to remedy this situation. However, regardless of the hair or no hair - please never say that you hate yourself or you want to kill yourself. Life is so much more that just hair. Trust me, with hair or without, people who love you will do so nonetheless. 

I really hope that you do not take this the wrong way. I can completely understand your pain. And I pray to God that he give you strength, resilience and peace. 

The guys on this forum are very knowledgeable

And I am sure that they will be able to guide you towards getting a remedy to the situation. And even if there is no remedy, you can always be outgoing and social. Don't allow this to change your perspective on life. Your life is way too precious for this. 

Sorry for the comment above but I wish you all the happiness in the world.

From one brother to another.

Official representative of Eugenix Hair Sciences

Dr. Arika Bansal & Dr. Pradeep Sethi

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5crlGyTac2hlU1gHneADzQ

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 8:34 PM, karnas said:

What is a DRT procedure? Is it the same as body hair transplant ? I have beard hair but I don't see the point because the texture is so different compared to scalp hair. 

DRT is an acronym for Donor Replacement Therapy (technique).

And the words therapy/technique imply that replacing your donor hair can be in combination with a variety of donor sources from the body including beard donor.

Yes the texture is usually different from scalp hair yet we have to be mindful that this is a repair situation with limited resources, meaning, the goal is improvement as much as possible using the available resources that you currently have. 

Combining the best SMP with BH are really the only viable options but best to get multiple opinions from surgeons who have performed multiple repair cases.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY