How to avoid an extra fut scar???

I don't know if this has ever been discussed.  I already have a couple of strip scars from previous procedures and have considered fue as a way to avoid more strips.  One of my scars is pretty wide and I was wondering if during another fut procedure the doctor could harvest grafts above that scar then close it leaving only one strip instead of creating a new one.  It would allow the doctor to create a thinner single strip.  Seems logical but I'm sure there is medical reason why they don't do it.

Edited by vanitysucks
grammar

Lots of variations to discuss.  When you got it done, where exactly are the scars, etc....

In the late 80 the universal thought was the hair from the nape was exactly what was needed for hairline work.  Thus, if you see anyone with small scars really low in the donor area, you can estimate when the work was completed.

Are you scars, one above one below?  Or one by each side of your ears?  Perhaps they are so close together when the doctor excises he can then combine them and leave you with only one.

How many grafts did you have done in each procedure?  If 2 small procedures, perhaps there is still laxity.

I do have a question, how soon after the procedure, the one corresponding to the wide scar, did you start exercising?  It is imperative to avoid pulling on the neck as this will result in a wide scar.  Also sleeping positions are an issue.  

Lastly, before addressing the options you do have.  Scarring has to do with wound physiology and has little to do with the doctor., (assuming the doctor knows what he's doing).  So, you could go through this again only to end up with the same result.  If you do have tons of give in the donor, this should not be an issue.

Now for your options, are you considering more grafts? if so, he can use the upper border of the existing scar and go about 1/8 inch below the lower border.  There are no grafts in the scar portion, but there will be some in the 1/8 he took.  Not many grafts and so the question becomes, is it worth it? I think not.  It is likely you'll end up on the same boat.  Your best approach is just to have the doctor excise the scar and replace it with a new one.  (Is the whole scar wide or just the end of it)?

The other option is FUE.  You can put FUE grafts on the scar to camouflage.  It will not take the scar away, but it will help with concealment. The issue here is you may need lots of grafts that could have been used elsewhere.

Can you send a photo? This would help

Part of it will be how well you heal, another would be how much tension ther will be on the strip scar.  If you already have wide strip scars, it's likely that will be the outcome if you do another strip.

Edited by Curious

Thanks for the replies.  The bottom strip scar looks pretty good.  It's just a thin line and you can't see it unless I cut the hair down to a quarter inch.  The upper scar was a harvest of about 1200 grafts. It's visible if I cut my hair below a half inch.  I knew when the stitches were removed that it was wider than the first scar.  I also remember the tightness after the procedure lasted for several months.  I'm guessing that elasticity is at or below average.   I will post picks in the next post to show you my donor area.  My concern with fue is thinning out the forest too much.  If my donor area looks thick enough however, perhaps a good alternative.

This is what I am trying to fix.  What you see is the result of native hair after a transplant 15 years ago.  It looked good for several years but as some of us have learned....you have to stay on top of the native hair loss.  Right now you are looking at about 1800 grafts on the frontal 3rd from what the Doc told me.  I'm guessing I need another 2000 to 3000 to fix this.  The donor are looks pretty good to me, it's thick enough to cover the strip scars with a half inch cut.  So what do you think?  Do you think the doctor will recommend fut or fue?  

WIN_20190628_23_02_10_Pro.jpg

WIN_20190628_23_03_00_Pro.jpg

WIN_20190628_23_03_02_Pro.jpg