Does Creatine Cause Hair Loss?

• Administrators

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Yes, I think it does. Look at majority of body builders, there was a research on them.  Creatine when mixed with protein , creates baldness :( not sure how true this is but lot of folks when they eat so healthy, spend 4 hours in the gym, no smoking, no alcohol, fitness freaks  why they loose their hair if protein/blood flow/good diet/exercise is after all supposed to provide good thick head of hair.  

I see plenty of guys in the gym that have great heads of hair. Whether they take creatine is anyone’s guess. 

I think that balding comes down to genes. Nothing more, nothing less. Even if creatine increases testosterone, and you start to bald, I believe you would’ve started losing hair anyways. Creatine can contribute to hairloss, but in the end I believe you would’ve lost hair anyways. HOWEVER, with all that being said, I’m with Melvin. If there’s even a chance/increase chance, I’d stay away. I took it a couple years ago and saw massive strength gains, but eventually stopped taking it. 

• Administrators

@HLPToronto

Most bodybuilders go bald because they inject inhumanly amounts of testosterone and other exogenous hormones in to their body. There’s literally only a few bodybuilders that even have any hair left.

Jay Cutler, Dennis Wolf and Dorian Yates. The rest bald as eagles.

• Like 3

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• Administrators
42 minutes ago, hairman22 said:

cause know.

But creatine & even some protein shakes speed up hair loss significantly imo.

Great point,

I have heard of some whey shakes potentially causing hair loss. There’s no proof in terms of actual clinical research, but that’s enough to make me take organic plant protein shakes.

• Like 1

View my thread

14 hours ago, HLPToronto said:

Yes, I think it does. Look at majority of body builders, there was a research on them.  Creatine when mixed with protein , creates baldness :( not sure how true this is but lot of folks when they eat so healthy, spend 4 hours in the gym, no smoking, no alcohol, fitness freaks  why they loose their hair if protein/blood flow/good diet/exercise is after all supposed to provide good thick head of hair.  

Genetics?

• 1 year later...

@Melvin-Moderator

I brought some creatine this morning and this will be the first time I use it. I’ve seen in your video you don’t advice to take it. 
Do you think someone would be ok to take it if on fin? 
I would like to try it but at the same time my hair is more important to me and wouldn’t want to jeopardise how far I’ve come with my hair.  
If any other guys have experience with creatine then please chip in.

Edited by Craig2412

On 6/27/2019 at 11:28 PM, Melvin-Moderator said:

@HLPToronto

Most bodybuilders go bald because they inject inhumanly amounts of testosterone and other exogenous hormones in to their body. There’s literally only a few bodybuilders that even have any hair left.

+ The Predator- Kai Greene

I think whey and maybe weight lifting too cause it to shed faster to some extent.

• Administrators

@Craig2412

I think you’ll be fine, but just monitor the shedding. Also, check for gains. When I was on it, the gains were minimal and not worth the risk.

View my thread

47 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

@Craig2412

I think you’ll be fine, but just monitor the shedding. Also, check for gains. When I was on it, the gains were minimal and not worth the risk.

Thanks @Melvin-Moderator

I’ll use the tub and see what happens. I know already if I notice any kind of shedding I’ll stop instantly but as you say if the gains are minimal I won’t keep taking it anyway. I’m happy where I’m at but you know what it’s like always wanting to push that bit more.

This was around 15months under the sun light but a dodgy lockdown haircut!

2F008490-B224-4424-8A2D-1FED09FA05A8.jpeg

Edited by Craig2412

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, Craig2412 said:

Thanks @Melvin-Moderator

I’ll use the tub and see what happens. I know already if I notice any kind of shedding I’ll stop instantly but as you say if the gains are minimal I won’t keep taking it anyway. I’m happy where I’m at but you know what it’s like always wanting to push that bit more.

This was around 15months under the sun light but a dodgy lockdown haircut!

2F008490-B224-4424-8A2D-1FED09FA05A8.jpeg

Looking jacked bro 😳 good stuff man, how’d you manage in this quarantine? 

View my thread

18 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Looking jacked bro 😳 good stuff man, how’d you manage in this quarantine? 

Thanks man. 
I was working from home and really struggled at first. But as soon as I went on furlough I was loving it. I started buying and selling Carrera push bikes and made a killing. It has kept me busy and can potentially earn more money in an hour then sitting at my desk for the whole week. That’s partly why I’ve hardly been using this forum where I haven’t had time. Our barbers opened nearly a week ago so that’s nice too but got to wait another 2 weeks for gym to reopen yet. 
How’s it been for you? Didn’t the easing of restrictions happen quiet early compared to the UK? 

• Administrators
34 minutes ago, Craig2412 said:

Thanks man. 
I was working from home and really struggled at first. But as soon as I went on furlough I was loving it. I started buying and selling Carrera push bikes and made a killing. It has kept me busy and can potentially earn more money in an hour then sitting at my desk for the whole week. That’s partly why I’ve hardly been using this forum where I haven’t had time. Our barbers opened nearly a week ago so that’s nice too but got to wait another 2 weeks for gym to reopen yet. 
How’s it been for you? Didn’t the easing of restrictions happen quiet early compared to the UK? 

Yea, gyms just recently opened three weeks ago, prior to that though I didn’t lift for months. Thanks for the motivation though bro 💪🏼 Hair is looking awesome as well.

View my thread

3 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Yea, gyms just recently opened three weeks ago, prior to that though I didn’t lift for months. Thanks for the motivation though bro 💪🏼 Hair is looking awesome as well.

Won’t take you long to get back where you was Melvin. You always look bulky in the videos, arms especially! Thanks I’ll post an update soon but not much has changed really since the last few updates 😊

• Like 1

I legit gained 5-10 lbs of water weight since starting creatine a month or two ago, but I'm vegan so I don't get any through diet. It's actually shown to improve cognitive function in vegetarians.

I don't think there's enough evidence to prove that it causes hair loss. I wouldn't worry about it especially if you're taking a DHT inhibitor.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, giegnosiganoe said:

I legit gained 5-10 lbs of water weight since starting creatine a month or two ago, but I'm vegan so I don't get any through diet. It's actually shown to improve cognitive function in vegetarians.

I don't think there's enough evidence to prove that it causes hair loss. I wouldn't worry about it especially if you're taking a DHT inhibitor.

Thank you mate, appreciate your feedback. I‘m going to give it a go and if I notice any shedding I’ll stop instantly.

• Like 1

Damn, might have to reconsider my use--been using it on/off for years and currently  on for about 2 months.

Noticed a lot of size gains but hair seems a bit thinner recently (hence searching this topic).

Might drop to once a week. Combined with fin I would hope that's not too bad. 

• 9 months later...
On 6/27/2019 at 10:58 AM, Melvin-Moderator said:

@HLPToronto

Don't forget the Titan, Mike O'Hearn, but he is, of course, "natty."

• Haha 1

• Valued Contributor

I don't believe it's creatine or protein shakes, etc per se that lead to MPB. If you have no genetic predisposition to MPB then you won't go bald IMHO. However if you have the gene/s for MPB then by working out hard you are naturally 'increasing' your own  levels of testosterone. This in turn will increase the conversion to DHT which will lead to hair loss. However, I certainly wouldn't stop body building for the concerns of hair loss. If you can take a 5HT inhibitor then all well and good. If not then you will follow your normal predetermined pattern of loss anyway, albeit at a slightly faster rate and I would incorporate this into your planning re: surgery, etc.