"Can we Close the Corners?" | Dr. Bloxham: 2,500 Graft HT | 6 MO | Feller & Bloxham, NY

While planning a procedure, patients frequently ask if we can "close the corners." What they mean by this is whether or not is is appropriate and possible to close in the angles in the fronto-temporal corners and rebuild some of the temple region. Working in these regions often results in a very aesthetically pleasing result. A frontal rebuild including these regions is a little more aggressive and often recreates a nice balance. And while a lot of patients request work in these areas, it is important to note that it is not for everyone. It takes a specific hair loss pattern, hair type, and the right clinic to pull this off. Those with thick, coarse donor hair (even the singles), a stark contrast between the hair and skin color, and those with advanced or uncertain hair loss should likely not transplant in these areas. As tempting as it may be, it may not look correct and grafts may be better used elsewhere. In the right patient, however, the results can be great. 

The patient in today's case is a male in his early 40's with moderate frontal thinning but somewhat significant thinning in the "corner" regions. He really wanted to address these areas, and based on his hair loss pattern, history, and hair/skin type, I thought he would be a good candidate for him. We utilized 2,500 grafts to densely rebuild the superior portions of both temple triangles, the anterior portion of the parietal "humps" (the vertical portion running from the temporal triangles to the fronto-temporal corners), close the frontal temporal-corners, and pack the entire frontal band. 

The patient returned only 6 months later and was very pleased with the results (as were we). The decision to "close the corners" was a good one for him, and I believe we achieved the desired balance in the frontal region by closing in and rebuilding these areas. 

Here are a few select "teaser" images showcasing the result (both wet and dry). Attached are more before and after comparisons (both wet and dry), and below is the detailed comb-through video. As usual, I highly recommend that all patients watch the video. Video is the most honest way to display a transplant result, and it is what you as a prospective patient should look for. 

634364294_19568794comp.thumb.jpg.bd4e54e527f61bc1c99a59fa0f39b2a0.jpg884159345_19578809comp.thumb.jpg.630cbcf37a30966d238883e75ed64790.jpg1092609547_19508812comp.thumb.jpg.cef374a0acdba9895b19226b09bda0d8.jpg1813822298_19578819comp.thumb.jpg.1ba3e3b491e922ad3c90e6c2142077e2.jpg

Look forward to the discussion. 

Dr. Blake Bloxham 

Feller & Bloxham Medical, PC 

www.fellermedical.com

1946 8789 comp.jpg

1950 8790 comp.jpg

1952 8804 comp.jpg

1954 8807 comp.jpg

1956 8808 comp.jpg

1924 8824 comp.jpg

1946 8811 comp.jpg

1954 8817 comp.jpg

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Doctor, nice work....

Unfortunately there is lots of misunderstanding out there from both patients and doctors.  How many times we see an early twenties patient wanting "sloping down" corners similar to a juvenile or a woman.  I understand, everyone wants to have the hairline they once enjoyed. But, as you have stated in other posts, we need to think long term.  That's coming.  

Blunting the corners adds another dimension of naturalness as well as staggering.  You accomplished both of these things in this case and the patient has to be thrilled.

By the way, I am enjoying your posts....keep it up.

15 hours ago, LaserCap said:

Doctor, nice work....

Unfortunately there is lots of misunderstanding out there from both patients and doctors.  How many times we see an early twenties patient wanting "sloping down" corners similar to a juvenile or a woman.  I understand, everyone wants to have the hairline they once enjoyed. But, as you have stated in other posts, we need to think long term.  That's coming.  

Blunting the corners adds another dimension of naturalness as well as staggering.  You accomplished both of these things in this case and the patient has to be thrilled.

By the way, I am enjoying your posts....keep it up.

Thank you for the kind words. 

And you are 100% correct about the aggressive "sloping" or very "boxed in" hairlines we are seeing on younger patients today. I completely understand the temptation and why young patients to want this; however, it is often not in their best interest and will not age well. Start a little conservative with the hairline, make sure everything from front to back is uniform and taken care of, and then consider going a little more aggressive in the front down the line if and when the entire top is full and natural. 

• Like 1

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.