Dallas Fort Worth Area

viethair

If you really only need 400-500 grafts, my opinion is that you are not bald enough to get a hair transplant yet. The payoff you'll get is not worth going through the surgery.

Also, you probably still have quite a bit of remaining hair, and you may be at risk of "shock fallout" from the surgery. The worst-case scenario is that you end up with less hair AFTER your transplant, because of shock loss.

I'm guessing that you want to get a hair transplant to touch up your hairline. In my opinion this is a mistake for many guys.

You haven't mentioned important factors like your age, your level of hair loss (norwood scale) and whether or not you have halted the progression of hair loss with Propecia.

Be careful because very few doctors can do consistently excellent work with hair transplants, and you don't want to do anything that creates more problems than it solves. I recommend that you avoid the big franchise clinics no matter what.

yes, i want to do the ht because of my hairline. Im 24 years old. have not try propecia because i was told that it would not help in the front. it only help in the crown area. I think im a norwood 3, my hairline is receding on the two corners, temples. i been told that the surgery would put 150-200 grafts on each side.

Propecia is preventive medicine. It should help you retain the hair you still have, if you are a responder. Propecia is not so great at regrowing hair, but it is the most effective treatment available right now. Nothing is really available that is great at regrowing hair, it is easier to keep hair than regrow hair. Propecia CAN work on the temple areas, it can work anywhere you have miniaturizing hair follicles. That's what male pattern baldness is, the relentless miniaturization of hair follicles. Propecia helps prevent miniaturization.

Some guys choose not to use Propecia, it is a personal decision. But not even trying Propecia because there is a chance it won't work, is not smart in my opinion. I recommend you rethink your strategy regarding preventive medicine.

I've heard it takes about 150 follicles to recreate an eyebrow. You're talking about putting an eyebrow's worth of hair in each of your temples. It's really not worth creating a linear scar in your donor area, for that trivial amount of grafts. And as you continue to lose hair, you will have 2 little islands of hair in your hairline, unless you do something to stop the progression.

I recommend that you don't get any surgery until you've learned a lot more about hair transplants, because you may be on the verge of making a big mistake.

arfy, thanks for your replies...

I went to mhr and they told me i need about 1200 grafts, dont understand why the different in quantity between bosley and mhr but it doesn't matter any more. ive decided to try propecia now. i was just afraid of the side effects but i guess im still young........so..will see.

thanks again

The more of your "natural" hair you can retain, the better. This is true even if you did decide to get a hair transplant. You want to retain as much of that hair as possible.

Some guys do not respond to Propecia, a few guys react badly to it, and some guys do not want to take any drugs for personal reasons. But my advice (especially to the guys who still have a decent amount of hair they'd like to keep) is to try Propecia for a year or so, and see if they can stop their hair loss from progressing. If you can halt the progression, that is a big victory.