2352 Grafts Dense Packing - Dr Kaan Pekiner 20/06/19

lift24

Hi Guys, 

Over the years I've used this forum extensively to research hair transplant results, so I thought I'd give back and document my experience getting a transplant here and elsewhere. 

Background

Norwood: 3
Medications: Minoxidil (10mg Oral) Daily, finasteride 1mg Daily, Dutasteride 500mcg once a week. 

I have significant temple recession and was looking to get that filled via dense packing, also have slight thinning on the crown but I don't think that requires attention just yet. 

I wanted a doctor that did the whole procedure themselves and used the manual extraction technique. I was deciding between Keser and Pekiner but went with Pekiner in the end due to less of a language barrier and the great results I'd seen on the Italian and German forums. The price was also very reasonable. (2.15 Euro Per Graft)

Arrival

I was met at the airport by a driver and taken to the hotel in partnership with the clinic. The hotel was less then a 5 minute walk from the clinic, it was clean and provided a free breakfast each day which I was happy with. 

The Surgery

Over email correspondence prior to the surgery we had already determined the general outline of the hairline, we spent the first hour drawing on slightly different variations of the hairline and discussing them. Originally I wanted to go slightly lower with the hairline but after our discussion I decided against it and am glad I did. Dr Pekiner was very meticulous during the design stage while being open to suggestions. I appreciated this as design is crucial and should be discussed at length. 

After this the operation started, it lasted 2 days working out to roughly 1200 grafts being implanted each day via the stick and place technique. 
Besides the local anesthesia injections the whole thing was pretty painless.

Dr Pekiner performed the extractions, incisions and implantations which is exactly what I was looking for. Lunch was also provided during surgery days. 

Thoughts

Ultimately I feel confident with my decision to go with Dr Pekiner. I'm pleased with the hairline design and the grafts seem well placed. He took a lot of pride in his work and came across real genuine, not only did he talk me into a slightly more conservative hairline but we ended up using 300 less grafts then originally anticipated. Here are two instances where he took patient outcome over profit. 

Below are some pre and post op pictures provided by the clinic, I'll put a few more pictures up then move to monthly updates. Any questions feel free to post! Cheers.

img1 - Copy.jpg

img2 - Copy.jpg

img3 - Copy.jpg

img4 - Copy.jpg

img5 - Copy.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, lift24 said:

Hi Guys, 

Over the years I've used this forum extensively to research hair transplant results, so I thought I'd give back and document my experience getting a transplant here and elsewhere. 

Background

Norwood: 3
Medications: Minoxidil (10mg Oral) Daily, finasteride 1mg Daily, Dutasteride 500mcg once a week. 

I have significant temple recession and was looking to get that filled via dense packing, also have slight thinning on the crown but I don't think that requires attention just yet. 

I wanted a doctor that did the whole procedure themselves and used the manual extraction technique. I was deciding between Keser and Pekiner but went with Pekiner in the end due to less of a language barrier and the great results I'd seen on the Italian and German forums. The price was also very reasonable. (2.15 Euro Per Graft)

Arrival

I was met at the airport by a driver and taken to the hotel in partnership with the clinic. The hotel was less then a 5 minute walk from the clinic, it was clean and provided a free breakfast each day which I was happy with. 

The Surgery

Over email correspondence prior to the surgery we had already determined the general outline of the hairline, we spent the first hour drawing on slightly different variations of the hairline and discussing them. Originally I wanted to go slightly lower with the hairline but after our discussion I decided against it and am glad I did. Dr Pekiner was very meticulous during the design stage while being open to suggestions. I appreciated this as design is crucial and should be discussed at length. 

After this the operation started, it lasted 2 days working out to roughly 1200 grafts being implanted each day via the stick and place technique. 
Besides the local anesthesia injections the whole thing was pretty painless.

Dr Pekiner performed the extractions, incisions and implantations which is exactly what I was looking for. Lunch was also provided during surgery days. 

Thoughts

Ultimately I feel confident with my decision to go with Dr Pekiner. I'm pleased with the hairline design and the grafts seem well placed. He took a lot of pride in his work and came across real genuine, not only did he talk me into a slightly more conservative hairline but we ended up using 300 less grafts then originally anticipated. Here are two instances where he took patient outcome over profit. 

Below are some pre and post op pictures provided by the clinic, I'll put a few more pictures up then move to monthly updates. Any questions feel free to post! Cheers.

img1 - Copy.jpg

img2 - Copy.jpg

img3 - Copy.jpg

img4 - Copy.jpg

img5 - Copy.jpg

Good job !! How’s the oral minoxidil works for u?

17 minutes ago, Uncle drew said:

Good job !! How’s the oral minoxidil works for u?

Hi,

Oral minoxidil has been working great, I've been using it for about 1 year and my hair is definitely thicker. The Doctor said my donor hairs were very thick and I think the minoxidil helped with that. 

I really wanna jump on it myself cuz topical has lost its efficient on me...do u have any side effects from it? Kaan pekiner is a great doctor seems u gonna have amazing results...where do u get Oral minoxidil from? 

10 hours ago, Uncle drew said:

I really wanna jump on it myself cuz topical has lost its efficient on me...do u have any side effects from it? Kaan pekiner is a great doctor seems u gonna have amazing results...where do u get Oral minoxidil from? 

Hey thanks I hope so!  No side effects, originally I was on 5mg a day but I moved to 10mg a day because my dermatologist recommended it. I got it prescribed by a hair dermatologist in my home country and then I just buy it from a pharmacy. 

Just wanted to say thank you to sharing your experience regarding both the HT and the drugs, and also the photos.

Straight away, I have to say that the new hairline looks like a work of art. You definitely have to be pleased with that!

As we like to say over here, happy growing! :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LeftHook said:

Just wanted to say thank you to sharing your experience regarding both the HT and the drugs, and also the photos.

Straight away, I have to say that the new hairline looks like a work of art. You definitely have to be pleased with that!

As we like to say over here, happy growing! :)

Thanks man! Yeah feel pretty confident in my decision to finally do it, hopefully I get some great growth!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Uncle drew said:

Hi lift wanted to ask u regarding the oral minoxidil...how many days after the hair transplant have u start using it again? Cuz he said to me to stop using it 2 weeks before the hair transplant !!

Hi there, as soon as the transplant is over you can start using it again! He asks you to stop before the procedure as  minoxidil is a vasodilator so you can bleed more during the procedure which makes it more difficult for him. I only stopped taking it 3 days before the procedure,  but he told me I bled more than usual during the procedure so I assume his being a bit more cautious now. 

After the procedure this vasodilation effect is good as it allows the blood to flow easier which I've been told assists growth and nutrition of the newly implanted grafts. 

22 minutes ago, lift24 said:

Hi there, as soon as the transplant is over you can start using it again! He asks you to stop before the procedure as  minoxidil is a vasodilator so you can bleed more during the procedure which makes it more difficult for him. I only stopped taking it 3 days before the procedure,  but he told me I bled more than usual during the procedure so I assume his being a bit more cautious now. 

After the procedure this vasodilation effect is good as it allows the blood to flow easier which I've been told assists growth and nutrition of the newly implanted grafts. 

Thnk you very much lift ur reply was spot on and very precise I’ll stop using it probably 7 days before the procedure so it won’t be too bad for him 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Uncle drew said:

Very clean and nice hair line...did u get swollen in your face?

Hi,

I had swelling on days 1 - 3 with day 3 being the worst, after that though I was fine. I stayed in Turkey for 6 days after the procedure as I didn't want to fly home with swelling. 

Oh shit coming back 4 days after the operation hope won’t be too bad...don’t like catching attention from people on the flights,were u able to wear a hat or something ? Are u from UK if u don’t mind me asking ?

Day 4 should be fine, you can gently wash your hair with water that morning so it'll look a lot better.

I took a naproxen that Kaan gave me on night 3 and woke up day 4 with hardly any swelling at all. I live in Aus so getting home takes 20+ hours that is  why I stayed a bit longer. 

Apparently its better if you don't wear a hat for the first week so I didn't wear one, if people stare who cares chances are you'll never see them again anyway! 

Looks really good, mate. Really clean work - fingers crossed for a great result!

Do you have any tips, or anything that jumps to mind for a fellow Aussie booking a trip to EU/the states?

Just because, as you said, we've got at least 40 hours of flying regardless haha.

Always wondered if I should take extra precaution due to the time it takes to get home post-surgery.

Thanks mate :

Edited by Greg_Swanson

1 hour ago, Greg_Swanson said:

Looks really good, mate. Really clean work - fingers crossed for a great result!

Do you have any tips, or anything that jumps to mind for a fellow Aussie booking a trip to EU/the states?

Just because, as you said, we've got at least 40 hours of flying regardless haha.

Always wondered if I should take extra precaution due to the time it takes to get home post-surgery.

Thanks mate :

Hey mate no worries,  my bit of  advice would be to ask the doc you end up with how long it takes the grafts to set so they can't be dislodged (some say 3 days some say 5)  and stay at least that many days in the country. After spending all the cash flying out and getting it done I felt a bit of extra money to stay a few more nights to minimize risk is worth it! 

Most places let you wash your hair with at least water after 3 days anyway so you can look a bit more presentable coming back (which means you shouldn't need to wear a hat) and hopefully have significantly less swelling. 

Those extra days were boring as hell, basically just sat in my hotel watching netflix grabbing room service. But once again it is the most fragile time after the transplant so for peace of mind I think its good to just stay stationary for a few days and minimize the risk of negatively impacting the results. After 6 days I looked significantly better then the first 3 days and wasn't as worried about accidentally dislodging anything. 

Lastly and a bit of an obvious one but book the flights early! I left them to the month before which end up costing me an extra $800 which I wasn't happy about but it is my fault.

Anyway hope all that helps.  

Wow man!! It is looking great!! Your hair healed super quick! Very happy for you!!

Question: I saw you take dutasteride once a week...why is that? how have you seen that help?

1 hour ago, hairman22 said:

propecia & dutasteride.

If you dont get side affects you will be a very lucky man. That is very risky.

i take propecia and i'm good

i dont take dutasteride but im considering it, but i would take one or the other not both

On 7/12/2019 at 2:11 AM, pza said:

Wow man!! It is looking great!! Your hair healed super quick! Very happy for you!!

Question: I saw you take dutasteride once a week...why is that? how have you seen that help?

Hey mate, I'd been on finasteride for a few years and I thought that perhaps it wasn't as effective as it once was, brought this up with my dermatologist and she said I could try a Finasteride +  Low Dose Dutasteride therapy, haven't noticed any side effects before or after starting.

The only evidence I could find of this treatment being used elsewhere is in this paper (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22686691).

Edited by lift24

Day 25:

Unfortunately shedding started just after the 3 week mark, it has been pretty constant since then and I'm hoping it slows down soon. Although I read about how the majority of people shed the transplanted hairs, I like everyone else was hoping I was one the lucky ones who didn't!

Attached both transplant and donor pics below. 

day25back1 - Copy.JPG

day25back2 - Copy.JPG

day25front - Copy.JPG

day25front2 - Copy.JPG