3,740 Grafts | Dr. Demirsoy - 19 June 2019

Just noticed a lot of dry scabby-type skin on my scalp, particularly the front section and the bridge behind but it's not limited to there.

Has anyone experienced this and does it mean the grafts may become blocked/damaged/dead by the presence of this layer of dead skin?

Not sure what to do to remove it. I'm already using anti-dandruff shampoo daily etc.

I picked off a few of the dried cells and you can see how the hairs attach. Does this mean I've lost grafts?

Edited by maltesefalcon

At 3 months it’s kind of late to still be seeing the scabbing leftover from grafts unless u did no scrubbing at all of your scalp. I have a feeling this might be dandruff or dermatitis that is flared up. I recommend contacting your doctor with more clear pics.

in the meantime, try to soak your head under the shower for about 5 minutes to get it moist and softened. Apply shampoo and use the pads of your fingers and gently massage your scalp thoroughly. See if that helps remove some of it.

see what your doc says first but there is also a salicylic acid shampoo that specifically is used to remove buildup/scale called tsal by Neutrogena which can be used once a week to help exfoliate the scalp. Run this by ur doc too.

• Like 1

Just now, jj51702 said:

At 3 months it’s kind of late to still be seeing the scabbing leftover from grafts unless u did no scrubbing at all of your scalp. I have a feeling this might be dandruff or dermatitis that is flared up. I recommend contacting your doctor with more clear pics.

in the meantime, try to soak your head under the shower for about 5 minutes to get it moist and softened. Apply shampoo and use the pads of your fingers and gently massage your scalp thoroughly. See if that helps remove some of it.

see what your doc says first but there is also a salicylic acid shampoo that specifically is used to remove buildup/scale called tsal by Neutrogena which can be used once a week to help exfoliate the scalp. Run this by ur doc too.

It's definitely not scabbing left over from the first 10 days. I definitely removed all scabs. This appears to be a more recent phenomenon, over the past 1-2 weeks perhaps but just when I combed through my hair today I realized the extent of it. Most of it is in the area from which I've already had hair, not necessarily all in transplanted zones. My temples for example do not have it. 

Thanks for those tips I'll keep them in mind and I've already contacted the doc. Just awaiting a reply now. Earlier I loosened up most of the area and removed as many as possible before washing my hair in lukewarm water with anti-dandruff shampoo. It appears to have helped but I'll know over the next few days in case the problem resurfaces. I just hope it won't affect the health of grafts. 

Week 9 is just a day away, so thought I'd post some photos now whilst I have some time.

Do let me know what you think. I hope that everything is going as well as it should be at this stage!

Regarding the dandruff issue above, I realized that I wasn't washing my hair aggressive enough over the past 2 weeks or so, meaning that dandruff had accumulated. I've been a bit more rigorous and now the problem has more or less resolved.

Any comments on the below are appreciated! I always compare my photos with others at Week 9 and notice they have more hair in the temple zones. I hope mine picks up pace in the coming weeks, though I appreciate things are still early. :)

Week 9 - Front.jpg

Week 9 - Right Temple.jpg

Week 9 - Left Temple 2.jpg

Edited by maltesefalcon

On 8/5/2019 at 9:22 PM, Helios said:

Like others have said, don’t worry about the shedding phase. I lost almost all my transplanted hair during that stage and looked worse off than before the surgery

Did you create a thread to follow?

I'd be interested to see how things worked out during the various phases of shed/growth.

5 hours ago, maltesefalcon said:

Did you create a thread to follow?

I'd be interested to see how things worked out during the various phases of shed/growth.

Yes I have a small thread on here and a big thread on bald truth transplant section. Just look for the name Helios. It’s quite a big thread 

15 hours ago, Helios said:

Yes I have a small thread on here and a big thread on bald truth transplant section. Just look for the name Helios. It’s quite a big thread 

I think there's a glitch on the site over the past day or so, as I can't seem to complete registration.

Any chance you could post a few photos here? 

It is possible that he placed the grafts too close together which causes a competition with blood flow. Although a alternative method is to spread out the grafts more on your first pass and likely need a second. This way 90% of your grafts will hopefully grow. Now everyone is different and sometimes people scalp act different to trauma that’s why the approach I mentioned works for most people.  

2 minutes ago, Guy73 said:

It is possible that he placed the grafts too close together which causes a competition with blood flow. Although a alternative method is to spread out the grafts more on your first pass and likely need a second. This way 90% of your grafts will hopefully grow. Now everyone is different and sometimes people scalp act different to trauma that’s why the approach I mentioned works for most people.  

I see.

Hmm, do you think then that I should have had greater progress by now? 

23 minutes ago, maltesefalcon said:

Actually I think I posted that comment on the wrong post! I think your fine for the timeframe you are in. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Guy73 said:

Actually I think I posted that comment on the wrong post! I think your fine for the timeframe you are in. 

Ahh okay! :)

I think perhaps I'm getting a bit impatient. It's easy to check your hair 10x a day etc. :D  hoping to see a massive spurt in growth at some stage. But I guess it's like growing older, you don't see the aging process on a day-to-day basis, only over the long-term. 

Edited by maltesefalcon

4 hours ago, maltesefalcon said:

I think there's a glitch on the site over the past day or so, as I can't seem to complete registration.

Any chance you could post a few photos here? 

I’m on the first page of the bald truth forum hair transplant section. My name is Helios. I can privately picture you pictures of my shedding phase and the results so far however.

Now at Week 10, so almost at the 3-month mark.

As you can see, there hasn't really been that much progress. Hoping it picks up in the weeks ahead.

Still having some slight dandruff issues, not sure why as I'm being more rigorous with my anti-dandruff shampoo etc.

Week 9 - Top.jpg

Week 10 - Left Temple.jpg

Week 10 - Right Temple.jpg

Week 10 - Top.jpg

On 9/2/2019 at 3:04 PM, WAAPAK said:

Just Commenting for updates.

Not much by way of update.

As you can see below, I'm at Week 11 now and there hasn't really been much progress. I think if you compare my stage at week 11 versus every other person here, my progress seems far, far behind.

Perhaps my scalp isn't suited to surgery and rejected a lot of grafts? I'm not sure...we'll see how it progresses though! Temples are not as filled as I expected at this stage, given that 2,500 were planted in the front and 1,200 or so planted in the back/crown. I find it hard to believe the hairline, as in my first post, will be as filled as the first post would suggest. If you see the photos below, you'll sort of see why. Again, when I compare my Week 11 versus others, that's where I've come up with the conclusion. 

I still have a dandruff issue. Not as bad as before, but still not sure how to eliminate it. 

Week 11 - Front.jpg

Week 11 - Left Temple.jpg

Week 11 - Right Temple.jpg

Week 11 Top.jpg

Edited by maltesefalcon

Dude,11weeks??come on dude the ugly duckling stage starts at 2-3 month mark for most people. Most people can’t really see results until 6-8 month mark that show the improvement. 

5 minutes ago, maltesefalcon said:

As you can see below, I'm at Week 11 now and there hasn't really been much progress. I think if you compare my stage at week 11 versus every other person here, my progress seems far, far behind.

Perhaps my scalp isn't suited to surgery and rejected a lot of grafts? I'm not sure...we'll see how it progresses though!

Week 11 - Front.jpg

Week 11 Top.jpg

Grafts are very likely still in the rest phase, I wouldn’t jump to a conclusion that your scalp wasn’t suited or the grafts rejected....now If it was your 9th month then I would probably agree.

Edited by CosmoKramer

7 hours ago, maltesefalcon said:

Perhaps my scalp isn't suited to surgery and rejected a lot of grafts? I'm not sure...we'll see how it progresses though! Temples are not as filled as I expected at this stage, given that 2,500 were planted in the front and 1,200 or so planted in the back/crown. I find it hard to believe the hairline, as in my first post, will be as filled as the first post would suggest. If you see the photos below, you'll sort of see why. Again, when I compare my Week 11 versus others, that's where I've come up with the conclusion. 

I still have a dandruff issue. Not as bad as before, but still not sure how to eliminate it. 

Week 11 - Front.jpg

Week 11 Top.jpg

I see little sprouts although sparse. I think the growth is kicking in very soon. 11 weeks is nothing, you gotta be patient. Did u look into the tsal shampoo I mentioned before? Clear it by ur doctor first if u want to use it and start out with once a week.

15 hours ago, jj51702 said:

I see little sprouts although sparse. I think the growth is kicking in very soon. 11 weeks is nothing, you gotta be patient. Did u look into the tsal shampoo I mentioned before? Clear it by ur doctor first if u want to use it and start out with once a week.

I experimented with some different shampoos that were available in my local, and things have cleared up considerably. I guess in time the problem will resolve.

In terms of growth, I'm aware 11 weeks is nothing. Just when you compare Kraistoff - who went to ASMED - who also had his temples filled in, you find that he has 50x more growth at this stage than me. So it becomes natural to ask whether I should be having more than I am at this point. 

See his comparative progress here: 

Edited by maltesefalcon

I don't know which is true - the left angle or the right-hand side. Just took the right-hand one now and the left one 3 days ago - one looks empty, the other looks slightly more full-ish. 

I'm thinking perhaps vellus hair might be part of the illusion on the right-hand photo, not sure though. 

Even still though, you can see a wideish gap just above the middle of the hairline in the right-hand photo. 

Comparison.jpg

Edited by maltesefalcon

• 3 weeks later...