donor scar pea size lump and sore?

hey guys i have a problem im abit concerned about..... about a month ago i noticed i had a sor lump like swelling directly under the scar site at one corner of my head....... nothing came out of it like a zit or spot...... it was there for a day or two then went completely away!!! the only problem is ive just noticed another one and it sore also but in a slightly different area of the donor scar???????? im quite confident that after a day or two it will go away!!!! but im really confused as to why it happens and worried incase its not good......

the only thing i can compare it to is boil like except it isnt a spot or zit and it goes away very quickly unlike boils etc......

this time it came up after i had been scratching the back of my head could it be damage under the scar due to scratching i dunno??

cheers j

dont worry i used to get them now and again in my recipiant site no puss just a sore lump that itches a bit, it will just be hair popping through as a few will have probly got trapped when the scar was stapled together, nothing worth worrying about IMHO but im not a doc

Dr A. Armani 2500 Fue

Dec 2008

Proscar X1 Day

Monixodil X2 Day

Msm Daily

yeah i had them too, turned out to be a giant zit..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11/04-07 - 800-1600 ish grafts - danish clinic - poor results

12/02-08 - 2764 grafts - Dr. Devroye - good result but needs hairline density

03/12-10 - 1429 grafts - Dr. Mohmand - result pending

Feel free to visit my picture thread

My Hair Transplant Photos - Surgery with Dr. Devroye

Young lads below 25 unite!

thanks very much guys for your replys..... im not to concerned but now im a forum member i just thought it wouldnt hurt to ask?

its still there today still sore but less so than lastnight!! it sits directly under the suture line which has healed well raising it up about a pee sized lump that stings abit???

the last one i had totally went away after a few days i fully expect this one to do the same jus curiouse to know what it is???

i guess it could be anything from, a zit reallt deep under the scar skin to a in growing hair to a reaction....

oh well if it burts and a alien jumps out i will be sure to let you all know. ha ha

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 10 months later...

Just searching the forum to see if anyone else got these! Can aways rely on it for reassurance ha. A little lump of skin formed at the end of my scar.. Sutures are still in at this stage.. Hopefully nothing to be worried about :D

FUT with Dr. Konior in 2014 - 3814 grafts - Thread

FUE with Dr. Pinto in May 2022 - 3252 grafts

• 1 month later...

Interesting. I'm one month post op and have one of these that appears to be at the end of one side of the donor scar. Sutures have long since been removed of course.

It's not super sore or anything. Stings slightly if you touch it. I've been putting antibiotic cream on it.

• 2 weeks later...

I too felt the pea sized lump on the left end of my donor in the begining. But it's been reducing in size over time so i guess it would just even out in a couple of months as a part of the healing process.

It's interesting to see how many HT patients have experienced these aggravating bumps. I had several nasty ones on my last HT and it was like right on the strip scar and painful. My PCP removed my staples and we later discovered that several of them got a tad bit buried and she had to dig in to reach them. Wow, was that painful and no anesthesia either.

Then, several months later, I still had a small bump and continued to dig at it for roughly 3 years and it may have been a small piece of staple that broke off when my staples were removed. MY PCP thinks my body was continually trying to push that tiny piece out of the scalp to the surface. I think that was it. It no longer bothers me but I did end up with a tiny scar spot from digging at it so long.

But these little bumps can be anything and especially from ingrown hair where the suturing was done. Some guys who had double-closures can get this. Other times it can just be pimples.

But when there is a pea size bump at the very end of the strip scar, it can be scalp tissue that gathered at the end point and it usually does not go away. It does not necessarily cause any problems, but can feel it to the touch.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 1 month later...

I began to notice one at about 9 months post-op. It's smaller than pea-size, but not sore, only somewhat itchy (at first I thought it was a mosquito bite). It's more or less near the scar (haven't tried to see it in a mirror yet), right in the middle at the back of the neck. It may have something to do with the fact that I often read in bed with my neck curved and the back of my head pushing against the pillows, which may perhaps stretch the area a little bit (but I thought that by now there was no more risk of stretching the scar?), though I am not really sure. Anyway now I'll try to avoid that.

I don't think it's a pimple because of the stinging, and a mosquito bite would have gone away in a few days while this one I had it for at least a few weeks. I wonder if after all this time from the procedure it could still be an ingrown hair? A tiny piece of suture does seem possible, since I think there was a knot more or less in that area, and the removal was done by someone quite capable but not a HT surgeon.

@Gillenator, did it eventually disappear? Do you think it would have if you had not been digging at it?

I wonder if it wouldn't be easier to have it removed by a dermatologist... maybe it could be a good solution whether it's an ingrown hair or a tiny piece of suture, as long as it comes off with it...

Edited by dale602

Yes it is gone now but again, am left with a small scar the size of a pea. Still think it was a piece of staple that broke off. I keep the length at roughly 1 1/2 inches so you can't really see the small spot scar unless my hair is wet.

One other possibility with these tiny pea size bumps is they are simply cysts. A cyst can develop at anytime and do not have to be related to having HT surgery. Cysts do not normally go away but can be surgically removed.

If they are bothersome, usually a good dermatologist can look at it and determine what the problem is. And I'm referring to ones that are not directly on or adjacent to the strip scar.

Anytime there is a bump or lump anywhere on the body, we should have it examined by a doctor. Sometimes they can be abnormal growth from a whole host of possibilities and why seeing a physician is the best thing to do.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY