Scarring in recipient zone?

Had a discussion with a friend about hair transplantation - I've just shaved my head and told him I'd still consider a HT one day, potentially, now knowing that I'd be cool to shave my head if it didn't work. He is adamant that it would be impossible because of scarring - both in the donor and recipient area.

I have never seen evidence of scarring the recipient area once the area has been shaved, but curious to hear if recipient scarring exists?

First, let's address the "if it didn't work" part.  It does happen, mind you.  But it it extremely rare when you consider the initial consultation with the doctor.  Once he examines you and gives you a recommendation, (and he knows what he is doing), you have just been approved as a candidate. (There are conditions out there, other than hereditary, that can have an effect on hair transplantation). By approving your candidacy, he has ruled out all of these conditions.

With regards to scarring, this will depend on the type of procedure you chose to move forward with.  But with the advances in the industry, including the instruments, (the size of the punch, for example), I venture to say that scarring would not be visible to the naked eye. Additionally, the idea of doing transplants is to show that now you have hair! Why continue shaving? If so, stay away from it and save your money.

There are great doctors listed on this site. Go to them, have a consultation. They'll be glad to show you typical scars.

Yes there can potentially be visible scarring in the recipient area especially if there is pitting or the recipient incisions were made incompetently....the other variable is the variances in how well individuals heal.

The bottom line is that if you are a good healer and the doctor was skilled, used the proper instruments, the scarring in the recipient area should not be very visible if at all.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY