Is There A Difference Between Rogaine Foam VS Rogaine Liquid?

• Administrators

For those of you who use minoxidil, do you find a difference between the liquid and the foam? in my experience, I found that the foam didn't penetrate my scalp and I find the liquid to be a lot better, but I would love to hear the communities input.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Melvin, actually there is a difference and it’s related to the in active ingredients. For example, the liquid contains ingredient called propylene glycol  which has a tendency to irritate the scalp. The foam however, does not contain this ingredient and contains a superior delivery system, making  percentage of success higher with the foam in the liquid.

I suggest incorporating this into your article. 

Best,

Bill

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

For those of you who use minoxidil, do you find a difference between the liquid and the foam? in my experience, I found that the foam didn't penetrate my scalp and I find the liquid to be a lot better, but I would love to hear the communities input.

same thoughts here. Its been said the liquid contains alcohol ( due to which it is able to penetrate deeper into the scalp )

but due to a few minor issues/complaints from patients such as  : dryness, itchiness, redness etc...... rogaine decided to introduce a new evolutionary product as " rogaine foam " . its just a recent launch in the market, its not that old ....... 

however, my friend has used both- foam for 6 months, now on liquid for next 6 months - he said liquid seems to be solid when it comes to experiencing a concrete difference. Foam is just there catering to those patients who can't deal with minor dryness  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Phil36fromaus said:

cool .. i didn't know the specifics behind that. I did notice that when I used the liquid form i suddenly developed wrinkles on my forehead within a short period of time. so I switched to the foam instead. Makes sense why now. 

Yes, its like a give and take scenario.  It will ruin the scalp more, extra dryness, itchiness, redness but it gets the main job done which is circulation blood in those capillaries

Foam does the same but you have a apply little more than half a cup ( as half cup recommended dose simply doesn't penetrate deeper )  

Only used the foam so can't really comment, but i need apply a fair amount and alot get stuck in my hair.

Can anybody shed any light if its ok to apply minoxidil with product in your hair before bed? (You get home late from a night out and don't have time to be showering before bed )

• Administrators
9 hours ago, Mr S said:

Only used the foam so can't really comment, but i need apply a fair amount and alot get stuck in my hair.

Can anybody shed any light if its ok to apply minoxidil with product in your hair before bed? (You get home late from a night out and don't have time to be showering before bed )

Yea it's fine I used to apply minoxidil right before bed, but keep in mind it will probably stain your pillows a bit.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

9 hours ago, Mr S said:

For best results, you have to always work slightly harder and make an attempt to shower/ wash/shampoo quickly to make sure scalp is all clean and dry before applying minox each night. 

I know its hard on those night outs/bar events but think like this.... you get home after being tired, you brush your teeth so why ignore the hair which will only take 5 mins maximum. It requires effort but we all should try to invest into this.

If you apply minox on hair with product/gel on it, most of minox will just stick with the product on the top most layer and will be hard to penetrate deeper into the scalp. It should provide some impact but real impact is only when there is no product at all. 

• Like 2

Ingredients are slightly different. They work the same as far as my research. Liquid is easier to apply as foam gets soaked up into hair. 

From my personal experience; The liquid gave me really bad dandruff.  My scalp was white. The foam doesn't do this at all. I go through a lot of it though. 

Link to what I did to grow my hair back without a transplant. 2 year update. 

I found the liquid almost impossible to use routinely. It actually hurt my scalp. Prob just dryness and that awful itch but was more than uncomfortable. It also made my hair look extremely bad. All of that just meant that I found it difficult to use consistently so therefore just use the Foam. Not sure on the effectiveness really. Of either. 

But I just read the shampoo part above. Perhaps thats where Im going wrong! How often do you guys shampoo and or condition your hair? I only shampoo twice a week and one of those is with Nizoral!

Side point - and not very helpeful..but you know the biggest success I had was when I used the old school 10 or 15% from Dr Lee who isnt around anymore. Cant rememeber exactly but think it was 15% with fin in it. Used it for a year and whilst using it I didnt notice any regrowth and it sucked for my hair so I shaved it down to a 1 to keep using it. BUT once I stopped using it its like my hair just exploded and it pretty much regrow my hair. I dont know why or how, or if it was just so/too strong that whilst i was using it was causing constant shed but working. So when i stopped all the hair just come through.