Finasteride and Minoxidil; order of treatment

I've recently bought Finasteride (Propecia - 1mg tablet per day) and Minoxidil (Regaine, a foam to run in scalp twice a day) from my local chemist, and was wondering how should I go about trying them out to see which works best.

Options are: Try Finasteride for now, then Minoxidil later. Or alternatively, maybe do Minoxidil now, and Finasteride later. Or as a third option, maybe just start both treatments now simultaneously. I think the last option will have the best chance to produce the most regrowth/stabilization, but then I'm less likely to see which option is most beneficial. Perhaps one will have no effect, whilst the other does all the work, but then I'm paying for two things instead of one.

Any advice appreciated. I'm also thinking of having a hair transplant in around 6-12 months as I have level 2-3 (vertex) on the Norwood scale.

Edited by hair4tomo

If you're pretty sure there's more hair loss to come (I would guess there is), you should definitely try finasteride first. It addresses the root cause of balding and will usually make the biggest difference in keeping your hair over the years. 

Minox works well in most cases too, but keep in mind you'll have to rub that stuff into your scalp at least once a day for the rest of your life (or until you stop caring).

A lot of patients start them simultaneously. The argument for starting both at the same time would be: overlapping the initial shedding phases (each drug carries a 3-4 month initial shedding phase) so you do not need to go through this twice, and increasing the strength and efficacy of your preventive regiment. The argument against this would really be that if you did experience some sort of negative effect, it is difficult to tell where it is coming from and how to make adjustments if you started two medications at the same time. 

If you are looking to stagger them, I think most patients would start with Propecia -- which will likely be the most effective as well. 

• Thanks 1

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Not a very good photo.  Seems you are developing a 5 pattern? The concern, however, is how patchy it is.  Have you visited with a derm?  It may behoove you to schedule an appointment and confirm that you are dealing with alopecia.  That being said, all modalities available today work in different ways and are thus synergistic.  Simultaneously would be the way to go.  But both medications tend to be most effective in the back area - with Propecia being the most effective.  As Dr. Bloxam indicates, if you are just going to use one - go with Propecia.

I agree with the informative previous replies. Both are synergistic. Minox works on keeping hairs in a growth stage of the cycle, while finasteride targets against DHT-the hair loss hormone. Finasteride is therefore more effective and addresses the core of the problem. Therefore if using one go for finasteride. 

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Contact me via WhatsApp at +962798378396 (Jordan) 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

both compliment each other and performs different functions. go with both at the same time

1mg finas tab in the morning and 5% minoxidil rub in the night  2 hours before going to bed 

EVERYDAY 

do for 1 year and see results for yourself - miraculous for some folks 

Thanks all. Replies to some of you below. If/when I reach peak restoration where no more regrowth is going to happen, which of the two medications (if either) would be most appropriate to discontinue? 

On 6/13/2019 at 6:23 PM, RecessionProof said:

If you're pretty sure there's more hair loss to come (I would guess there is), you should definitely try finasteride first. It addresses the root cause of balding and will usually make the biggest difference in keeping your hair over the years. 

Minox works well in most cases too, but keep in mind you'll have to rub that stuff into your scalp at least once a day for the rest of your life (or until you stop caring).

Instructions say twice a day, but maybe if I see no improvement after a certain period, I can reduce it down to once per day?

On 6/13/2019 at 6:29 PM, Dr Blake Bloxham said:

A lot of patients start them simultaneously. The argument for starting both at the same time would be: overlapping the initial shedding phases (each drug carries a 3-4 month initial shedding phase) so you do not need to go through this twice, and increasing the strength and efficacy of your preventive regiment. The argument against this would really be that if you did experience some sort of negative effect, it is difficult to tell where it is coming from and how to make adjustments if you started two medications at the same time. 

If you are looking to stagger them, I think most patients would start with Propecia -- which will likely be the most effective as well. 

Shedding? Glad you warned me - that's sounds scary. Is it unlikely, likely, or guaranteed? If I do experience negative effects from either, would those effects surface within a week or two? I can certainly wait that long and just use one for a couple of weeks before I start using both together.

Edited by hair4tomo

Yes I would agree that starting finasteride first would be best recommended because it does inhibit DHT and minoxidil does not.

Many guys use both simultaneously and both are approved by the FDA for treating MPB.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

On 6/13/2019 at 6:23 PM, RecessionProof said:

Wouldn't that apply for Finasteride too? (every day for life)

Edited by hair4tomo

Yes every day for life as long as our bodies produce DHT.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY