Overharvested donor area

Hi guys, I did a hairtransplant 11 months ago, and you can check my story here: 

I did my haircut today and for the first time, barber cut my hair super short - 3mm. I kind of moved on from my hairtransplant as I am satisfied more or less with what is happening at the front. I am however utterly shocked by how my back is looking. Attaching a picture. If I keep my hair about 1cm long, almost nothing of this is visible, except for small parts in the back of my head. However there are massive scars and blank spots. What does that mean? Is it overharvested? What doest that mean for the future HT prospects? This is obviously very surprising and definitely is affecting my day to day life now, at least until I grow my hair back.

Of course easy solution - never cut this short, but I assume I will need another HT at some point. What to do then?

unnamed.jpg

Edited by pinky_head

Quite honestly, 11 months was enough time for shockloss to come back.  You can see a distinct pattern or halo here at a certain length.  There isnt much you can do to remedy it but grow your hair out.  Extraction in a wide spread pattern is better vs a compressed extraction zone.  This is the type of krap i face and options are limited unless you go in again for hair transplant and have them extract in zone above or side to it to taper the density.  Or if you are completely done with restoration concerns, then smp in future may help address it.  Type of tools and extraction protocol plays a big role with donor damage and few docs admit to that—-and that's if an actual doctor is doing the surgical extraction vs a tech.  

Wish you the best of luck man.  

• Administrators

The barber did a bad job at blending. Try to  blend higher instead of a taper fade. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Both posts have valid points and I too am curious who did the extractions.

You may not be able to go shorter than a number 3, with no tapering as Melvin stated.

SMP will definitely help.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Thank you guys for quick response.

The extractions were done by a tech, actually, two of them at the same time - I've seen some results from my clinic and the donor usually looked pretty neat, but mine is a bit bumpy after the surgery, I dont think it healed quite well which could have cause the fibrosis to be larger than the usual.

I contacted the clinic and they offered me a discounted SMP (for 500eur) but I'm hesitant as far as using them again.

Will SMP have anything to do with me wanting to have another HT somewhere in the future? In next 4-5 years?

Do you think FUE is still possible with donor looking like this? I'm just worried I run out of options at an early age. I knew I'm having a HT early but epected to be able to use more than 3000 grafts...

We assume that the left side of your donor is untouched?  If yes, then yes you potentially can harvest more by FUE but you definitely want to get more opinions with surgeons who have  a proven track record.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY